Trump America First vs UK First

What is general public opinion here regarding Trump's America first in regards to safeguarding american jobs against offshoring and will similar approach in UK work post Brexit?or will we be isloating ourself more?

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    When did the UK reclaim America then?
  • possibly in history..

but my main question is globalization good? what do families do when there job is lost to someone in other country who can do same job cheaper
  • pogofish
    It would need to be now for this discussion to be valid on this board. Also, Trump's MO/USP has been as far from the moneysaving ethos as you could possibly hope to get, so the Arms is where the international/Trump stuff goes.
  • well if if we ignore trump as well (a fact not easy to ignore), my question was more towards protectionism, does this work?

there are lot of jobs which are being off-shored on the basis of cost, those are are left jobless have to settle with lower wages and impacted their family life so are we in a vicious circle where corporate will continue to offshore jobs then how does the economy survive when people don't have jobs they don't spend economy is impacted or am i making it too simple and there is a wider good for everyone in this
  • pogofish
    Either way, this is still rather far from being a campaign - which again puts it into the realm of the Arms or UK economic discussion boards.
  • don't know where your context of arms is coming from..

yes it may not belong to campaign forum but still a question in terms of how people are getting impacted by globalization and job loss and is there a better approach!!
  • pogofish
    Its the general discussion section of this forum. You can't miss it - its full of Trump threads!

If its not a campaign within the remit of this board, it goes there - esp if it involves non-uk considerations.
  • When did America stop wanting to claim the U.K?
  • possibly in history..

but my main question is globalization good? what do families do when there job is lost to someone in other country who can do same job cheaper

i think what everyone needs to remember is that person in another country doing the job cheaper is just the same. they're trying to support their family too. people (not you specifically, but i see it a lot especially in rags like the daily mail/express) blame these 'foreigners' for stealing their jobs instead of lobbying the blame at the feet of the people who truly deserve it: the big bosses who do everything they can to get most profit for themselves. they're the ones cutting costs to fatten up their shares and bonuses.

the disparity between the 1% and the 99% is SHOCKING. yet our government is complicit in continuing to let it happen. trump's administration are complicit in letting it happen. those factory jobs are never going to come back to america. he knows that, the businesses know that, everyone knows that except the people desperate enough to believe the lies. the royal bank of scotland, that was bailed out by OUR taxes, posted a loss of billions. yet their bankers continue to cash in their big salaries. same with the rail services. delays on end yet big bonuses for the bosses. even government itself.

the inheritance tax that hugh richard louis grosvenor avoided on his £9 billion fortune due to our tax loopholes would have paid for the NHS deficit.

little bit off topic but tell me who is UK/america first for? because it sure isn't the regular people who live there.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family