PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Not Buying It- A Consumer Holiday 2016

Options

Comments

• Lynplatinum
    Options
    Hiya determined new ms

My being frugal has lead to me being able to retire at the age of 57 beside the sea side. I will have to be careful with the pennies but this is second nature to me now.

If you probed these people a bit deeper and asked them - if they were to be made redundant tomorrow could they cope - have they got enough savings? A whole different tale will emerge - guaranteed!! Are they stressed - on tablets - drinking - other destructive habits??? Probably - even if the aren't showing it.

Lo will be grateful for your time and input. do not be deceived by appearances. Or be oppressed by what others tell you (or imply)that you should think - your choice! ;)

Besides which there is the aspect of NBI which is not giving the fat cats at the top of power companies/ IT companies/big firms any more money than I absolutely have to.

Then, for me, there is the eco friendly aspect of not wasting the earth's resources.

You must make your own choices but you dont strike me as a sheep! :rotfl:
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Got me doubting myself! Wondering if this lifestyle choice I have made is fair to our lo? On a day to day basis I am loving being less consumerist and I often feel I have enough of everything and am content. But it can be hard wondering if I am depriving our lo of material things and also if I am damaging my career by choosing to step down in responsibility and earning power. QUOTE]

I think one of the greatest gifts you can give your small child is the ability of learning to be happy within herself without being surrounded by a mass of material belongings, and the ability to recognise, as she grows up the importance of knowing the difference between what is important, and what isn't. She will only learn this from her parents, not from her school friends who will inevitably all want the latest material consumer goods. It's probably only when she grows older and more mature that she'll start to understand that true happiness cannot be purchased with consumer commodities but that learning and understanding has to be imparted at a young age.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi Ya Chums ,well the autumn is almost upon us and belt-tightening days ahead :) I am doing most of my food shopping from my freezer as its in desperate need of a defrost(apart from the financial aspects of course :))
    I am quite happy with how my budget has worked out this month, although I did overspend my Happy Cash Stash last weekend when I went away to Scotland for several days for a family reunion.But it was great fun and my Australian and Canadian cousins all seemed to enjoy themselves and are going home with lots of happy memories I hope.

Nothing needed for the next week at least from either food shops or anywhere else as I am fully stocked up now.My purse has clanged shut, and is not even going out the door for the next week.:) Last nights quiz night had already been put aside (only £2.00 and that included a jacket potato with baked beans supper half way through) we came second and won a bottle of wine as well to go into the wine stash.There are about 6-8 of us and when we win we save the vino up until we all have enough for a bottle each.At the moment there are four bottles in stock so its looking good for perhaps a halloween shareout :).

My friend has paid for another quiz for next Saturday night for me, and I will supply the nibbles. so I will sort something nice out to take with me this Saturday.
    Its a charity one for a tiny school in India, who rescue young girls who have been sold into prostitution by their parents who are too poor to keep them.Its only a small charity, and its the local church's one so I don't mind helping out

They had a cake and coffee day a couple of weeks ago and I sent in some HM cakes to help out, they raised a couple of hundred pounds that day :) which is excellent as every pound helps these young girls.We really don't realise sometimes how very lucky we are to live in the West. Its not until you see how some of the third world struggle for basic things like food and clean water on very little money.

So Saturday night will be another quizzing night ,which I always enjoy as it keeps the little grey cells ticking over :):):)

Nice to see the NBI forum resurrected again and to 'see' some new faces

Cheers chums

JackieO xxx
  • Bathory
    Bathory Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hello, just thought I'd pop on to say I'm still following and NBI as best I can, although the other day I made Yorkshire puddings which stuck to the tin with puddles of grease floating on the top and they had to be chucked. Think I should use dripping next time rather than olive oil.

Its been very warm and muggy lately but there was a crispness in the air this morning which felt refreshing. Last week we had a massive thunderstorm in the evening and I loved watching the angry sky (although it was a bit scary). I'm swear some of the fork lightning was pink in colour.

OH drives an old vehicle, owns it outright, maintains and keeps it running. Recent comments from some work colleagues are however, not nice. 'Whats that old piece of **** your driving' being the main one. These are people with new cars, designer clothes and latest smart phones. If anyone picks the berries off nearby bushes they get looks of disgust off the same mob because 'clean' punnets are sold in the shops. Nothing wrong purchasing new or designer stuff but to sneer at others who don't is a bit bad.

First day of Autumn tomorrow. I love the colours of this time of year so will be getting a lot more walking done.
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    Bathory wrote: »

OH drives an old vehicle, owns it outright, maintains and keeps it running. Recent comments from some work colleagues are however, not nice. 'Whats that old piece of **** your driving' being the main one. These are people with new cars, designer clothes and latest smart phones. If anyone picks the berries off nearby bushes they get looks of disgust off the same mob because 'clean' punnets are sold in the shops. Nothing wrong purchasing new or designer stuff but to sneer at others who don't is a bit bad.

That is so funny Barthory! I have picked tons of blackberries this year (as my freezer can confirm :p) and as I have been growing my own I have been keeping a running total of grown or foraged foods. I was absolutely astounded at the price of them and was thinking who on earth would pay for them when they are free and everywhere?! Well now I know!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 18 November 2016 at 6:52PM
    Options
    I drive a 16 year old car of which I'm very fond and I don't care a damn what other people think. I could afford a more modern vehicle but choose not to change it. Just think of all the depreciation people lose the moment they drive a new vehicle onto the road ! I'm sure some people just need to keep up with the Jones to boost their own morale and self confidence. The lucky people are those who don't feel the need to go down this conspicuous consumer spending route.
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Hiya all
    Bathory - do you put your tin in the oven with some oil in first so that the oil is hot when you add the batter? Dont use too much oil but ensure it is hot before adding the batter. I heat up the tin in the oven and then bring the batter over in a jug to the oven rather than waltz around the kitchen with a tray of hot oil! :eek:

Just to be very obvious and Elf and Safety - I do this so I dont spill hot oil over me, the kitchen or worse still anyone else. :)

BTW these people with designer XYZ also probably have maxed out credit cards and live on their overdraft!! They are also major polluters of the environment and daft for giving in to the big brands and making someone else very rich while they get poorer!! I prefer to be in control of my life as much as possible - thanks!!
    :D
    Jackie - we are indeed lucky in this country. I try not to get cross when folk complain and realise that it is all relative to folks life experience. I have several friends from other countries and some of their stories are truely terrible.

So to be pathetic and petty myself :rotfl: (and yes, I am laughing at myself here!) This weekend I have been asked to bake again for the 'Book and Bake' to keep the beautiful old church going in my friend's village. V flattered as there are loads of really skilled WI standard bakers in the village. Baking is not a problem.

My issue is the 'Book' part!! Last time I resolved to not buy any books and came out with 8 !! (4 for my GD; 1 for DS1; 1 for DS2; and 2 for me :o I really am going to try not to buy any as am out of Happy Stash for the month bar £2.90!! Please send me non-spending vibes on Saturday!!!

Had a great day out yesterday on a coach trip to Barnstaple - anyone who hasnt been should go. A really pretty town - and very good for foodies. We did not have time to go to the museum but identified several restaurants we might go to - the organisation the does these trips does about one a year and my friend treated me to the trip so we are planning to go again next year!
    Nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Lyneplatinum, solution to your 'book' problem only take a pound with you 'just in case' when you go on Saturday,that way, the worst way it will still leave you with £1.90 of Happy Cash Stash :):):)

Be strong and think of your book stash at home :) I too have a book addiction, and live very close to a second hand book shop I make a point of walking a different way to the shops if I have to, as I know I would be drawn in and there would definitely be a book sitting on the shelves in there saying 'Buy me,Buy me' :):):) and to be where there is not only books, but cake, is a severe test of moral fibre for most folk :):):)
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    mmmmmm cake JackieO!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Bathory
    Bathory Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Lynplatinum, thanks for the tips. I don't think I had the oil hot enough plus I opened the oven door to see how they were getting on. I've not made puddings before but I'll give them another go this Sunday as we are back to roast chicken now the weather is cooling down. This usually gives us 3 days of meals, depending on the demands of the [STRIKE]gannets [/STRIKE] cats , plus a soup.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure