Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Comments

• jacand
    jacand Posts: 562 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I'm in a RAF house and due to move in about 2 months time. I have done comparisons and Ebico and BG come out the cheapest. I'm not sure if they are due to put there increases online yet or what.
    Also if I go via Quidco to BG get the £60 cashback before I move, then at my new address sign up again with another company. Would I be ok to move if I go for a capped rate?
  • Jacand,

The thing to watch out for in your case is the fact that some companies charge you an exit fee if you leave the deal before a year (or so) is up. Pretty sure most of the capped deals have this exit fee. They don't publicise the exit fee very well. (not surprising)
    If you sign up to a capped deal then move there is a high chance the exit fee will catch you out and you will make no dosh for your efforts. The changing process can take over a month. Is it worth it when you are just about to move house?

Pretty sure BG online prices will be going up shortly.

Why don't you just wait till you are in your new pad then make the comparison?
  • BG wont charge cancellation fee if you move house within 3 years hope this helps
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    My electricity supplier wants me to upgrade to 3 phase, as the standard 240V single phase circuit is running out of power in my neighbourhood.

Anybody got any experience of negotiating deals by switching 3 phase billing between suppliers ?
  • mud7dan
    mud7dan Posts: 33 Forumite
    sparky!1 it isnt a bad idea having 3phase as long as the up grade is paid by them.unless your using a large amount and that on one single phase ,you'll get voltage loses. shows lack of power on machines in homes or farms.
  • mud7dan
    mud7dan Posts: 33 Forumite
    :money: CAN YOU HELP. WE ALL KNOW THE PRICES HAVE GONE UP!,YES, AND WE ALL KNEW WE CAN YOU A SEARCH ENGINE TO FIND BEST OR BETTER OR SLIGHTLY BETTER DEAL ,CORRECT, WELL I HAVE DONE THIS(ALSO WAS ASKED TO GO ON MARTY'S TV SHOW FOR THIS:j ) . RIGHT TO THE POINT NOW,I CHANGED FROM BG AND EDF. NOW RUNNING FOR SOME MONTHS EON ENERGY ONLINE SAVER 5 SEEMED FINE.EEEEECH:eek: PRICES GO UP ,NOW DO I SWAP COMPANY'S AGAIN, WELL ICANT BE BOTHERED BUT DO I CHANGE TO ONLINE SAVER 8 OR PROTECT OR WHAT GUYS AND LADIES?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Hi I used your comparison table and it advised Scottish Power so I asked to change and Scottish Power have just got back to me to tell me they cannot ccept me as I have Off Peak heating!! How can I tell who would accept me? I am with Southern, so maybe I just have t stay put....
  • VikkiB
    VikkiB Posts: 15 Forumite
    I've just switched tariffs with npower so I'm on the Standard Online 13 tariff and I've just had a six monthly bill from them so I thought I was in a good position to do a comparison.

In the last 6 months I have used:

197 kWh of electricity
    24134 kWh of gas

A friend recommended Ebico so I entered my six monthly usage onto their website and got the following quotes:

£ 21.75 for electricity including VAT
    £690.23 for gas including VAT
    £711.98 TOTAL

I then compared that to what I would pay with npower on the standard online 13 tariff:

£ 30.14 for electricity including VAT (= 197 x 00.1530p)
    £839.43 for gas including VAT (first 4572 x 00.07099p = £324.56 PLUS remaining 19562 x 00.02632p = £514.87)
    £869.57 TOTAL

£157.59 Saving on 6 months usage.

When I use www.moneysupermarket.com I can either put in quarterly or annual figures, I double the above consumption figures and the site states that if I switch to Ebico I will make an annual saving of £8.97.

What is going on here?! Have I missed something blindingly obvious? I've checked the tarif details on moneysupermarket for Ebico and they are correct.

Any ideas anyone?
  • I think I'll just call British Gas, tomorrow, and ask them if and when they're going to raise the price. Let's see what I'll hear and keep you all posted.

What response did you get ?
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • Ianna
    Ianna Posts: 581 Forumite
    Hiya. I've just moved into a new rented property and have had my bills estimated at £100 per month for gas and electric. Should I switch and cap based on this amount (which sounds really steep for two people in a house) or should I stay and just hope the price hikes don't get too bad?

Any ideas anyone?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure