Real-life MMD: I saw a homeless man steal food - should I have reported it?

Comments

• Probably, but you weren't sure, and anyway salad has a short shelf life so it was very likely destined for the skip outside, he saved himself a climb!
  • dvs
    dvs Posts: 826 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As you weren't sure, there is nothing to report. You shouldn't assume that the man was homeless or that he was stealing.

If you had seen him steal then it depends on your own beliefs if you should have said something.
    • Do you regard any theft as a crime?
    • Do you believe that we all pay for crime?
    • Should the store not be looking after their own stock?
    • Do you not care because it wasn't you he stole from?
    • On balance, was he just trying to find some food? Would you do the same if you were in his supposed position?
    • Do you think by telling the store that anything would be done about it?
  • Of course not. You are not even sure of what you saw, yet this is your dilemma? The only real dilemma we all face is adequately demonstrated above! "The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong in this world." Thanks to people like Mr_Thom, pollypenny, happyinflorida, ken_68, bogwort and bugbugboo there is hope, and a Merry Christmas to you all - we need more like you. Of course it also follows that we need far fewer of the others - you know who you are, and bah humbug to you miserable wretches! May your Christmases be all that you deserve!!
  • marich
    marich Posts: 125 Forumite
    I am happy for you that this is the biggest dilemma that troubles you . You are assuming this person is homeless . You think he was stealing . Let's say you are right on both counts .

If you had to walk in his shoes you would come to realise that he was facing multiple dilemmas every day of his life.... Do I do wrong or do I suffer hunger , cold or thirst ? Do I beg or do I maintain my self-respect (what might be left of it) ? Do I take advantage of a situation or do I carry on my way ? Do I think short-term or should I invest in a longer-term strtegy ? Do I take 'charity' from a place that will institutionalise me or do I make my own way ? Do I hate everybody and shield myself with that hate or do I stay open and get hurt ?

You will know when you see a desperate face ...

Live and let live .
    "Judge not that ye be not judged".
  • I definitely wouldn't report it.
  • Theft is theft. No-one is above or better than the law. Yes, you should have reported it. Don't come on this site and try to wring your hands of your duty to society to report a crime when you see it committed.
  • Okay, let's take this one step at a time, and examine the possibilities:

a) you 'think' but you're not sure ==> there is nothing to report, as you haven't got any evidence, not even the evidence of your own eyes as a certainty, OR...

b) you know a person stole something, and you say nothing ==> some people say don't report it, but then you are being charitable with other people's money, ie the shop's owners, which you have no right to do; some people say report it, and you should report it to the store manager, but perhaps there's another alternative...

c) you know it happened, but it's Christmas and you're feeling charitable ==> tell the manager of the store and offer to pay for it yourself, the manager may accept, or the manager may say the store will cover it, and since you offered to pay, it could not be reported as a theft

I'd pick C if I knew it happened, and A if I wasn't sure -- your mileage may vary.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    It's quite clearly an unreal situation about which people are being asked to pronounce.

Homeless people do not steal salads.
  • I think the store can afford the salad, else make them harder to take.
  • Citizens arrest then placed in the stocks so people can throw vegetables, ironic justice :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure