Cleaning a limestone fire surround.

I wanna know how to clean a limestone fireplace.The woman in the showroom said I couldn't use water on it and to just use a dry cloth but it has black lines on it off pulling out the front thing to turn it on and off and my ds has spilt something on it so I really need to use something other than a dry cloth.Thanks.
He who smiles rather than rages is always
the stronger

Comments

• We had a stone fireplace made a few years back and were advised to used a weak bleach solution to remove marks. Have been doing this for a while with no ill effects.
    Middlers
  • How about spraying a very small amount of water onto a microfibre cloth (Tesco selling a pack of 2 for 48p) and wiping with that, then use the dry one to buff it up?

I have the same problem with my marble fireplace icon9.gif
  • How about spraying a very small amount of water onto a microfibre cloth (Tesco selling a pack of 2 for 48p) and wiping with that, then use the dry one to buff it up?

I have the same problem with my marble fireplace icon9.gif

Hi fellow 'lass', have tried the microfibre cloth but the marks are still there.Get a bit worried when I put anything damp on it and it goes darker where the damp has hit it.Have just got it and at this rate it's going to look a right mess in no time.My previous one was marble and I just used anything on that and it was okay for donkeys years. I think limestone is more porous than marble but I'm not sure. Should've just got a radient fire that sticks on the wall....less hassle.icon7.gif
    the stronger
  • I just Googled Limestone and this site seems about the most interesting.

http://www.realsimple.com/realsimple/gallery/print/0,22304,1032277,00.html

It seems that if you can get the marks off you would be best to then seal it to stop future marks icon7.gif
  • Thanks,have looked at the site. You must be able to use water on it then,same with your marble.Will try the washing up liquid.Don't know bout the sealer would be a bit apprehensive about trying it.How bout if you try it first and let me know what happens.lol. :j
    the stronger
  • mae
    mae Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have a limestone fireplace and I asked the place were I bought it what I should clean it with so he gave me a bottle of special cleaner..I'll look at the name and get back to you but it may be worth ringing your supplier to ask advice..
  • I have recently had a Limestone fireplace installed and whilst it does not yet require cleaning (apart from a quick flick with the duster now and again) the Company from whom I purchased it reccommend Lifotin Wexa which, according to them is widely available from any tile depot. I do not have this product nor have I used it so I cannot say how good or bad it maybe but the advice is freely available on their website and I don't think they would make any reccommendations if they hadn't tried and tested it themselves. Good Luck - Regards Sallysaver
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure