Selling homemade cakes and biscuits

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone had ever sold homemade cakes and biscuits at car boot sales? I was thinking of trying this one weekend, and wondered whether it was particularly profitable? I don't expect to make loads from it, but a little bit of extra cash would be nice! And I enjoy baking so it would be a nice thing to do once in a while.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think people want things really cheap at car boot sales & perhaps fairs, fetes & things like that might be better. People are so more keen now to pay for good old fashioned ingrediants rather than a load of e numbers & trans fats.
    If you had the right sort of fete you could do well.
    If your really good what about getting leaflets made up too, for cakes. A little album of cakes you've made would be a good idea.
    MMmmmmmm
  • I think cakes are really popular - especially the really cutesy girlie ones with glitter/sprinkles on. I loooooooove cake!!!
    :grin: Save me from spending...
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2008 - £1004:T 2009 - £1139 2010 - £1260 :j 2011 - £1557 2012 - £740 :beer: No 195 Target £1k
  • amyparr
    amyparr Posts: 256 Forumite
    If I bulk made lots of fairy cakes, biscuits, gingerbread men, etc it would probably be quite cheap to do, and if I sold them for 10-20p per cake, I might make some money out of it!

The only thing I'd be worried about would be that a) I won't make enough or b) I make too much!

Lol!
  • badmumof1
    badmumof1 Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    i would advise you to have a up to date hygiene certificate just incase someone asks you.
    If You See Someone Without A Smile......
    Give Them One Of Yours
  • amyparr
    I read somewhere that you don't need to get one if you're only selling things on an infrequent basis? Is that right?

My mum has a small catering business, so I'm sure if it was a problem I could use her kitchens to prepare the biscuits on a Saturday when she's not working? Would that be allowed?
  • Yeah that sounds like a good idea, youve just got to make sure that its all hygenic etc..
  • you would probably get away with it as theres a woman who does quite well at our local bootsale.
    BUT if there is a complaint made or you made someone ill and you dont have a kitchen that has been registered with and been passed by Environmental Health, dont have a Hygiene Cert and dont comply & keep written evidence of temperatures and your "safe working practices", you could be in a whole lot of trouble.
    You have to prove you understand HACCP (Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Points) and record everything from cleaning schedules for everything from light bulbs to ovens, supplier lists, training, temperature checks etc.
    The catering industry has changed greatly in the last few years.
    I've been running my own catering business for many years.
  • Mollymop5
    Mollymop5 Posts: 2,095 Forumite
    Our big bootsales don't allow the selling of foods on stalls.Just the burger vans!!! You might want to check before booking a pitch :)
    lost my way but now I'm back ! roll on 2013
    spc member 72

• amyparr
    Thanks for the tips! I will check with my local bootsale and see if they allow it first. If they do I will give it a go in a couple of weeks and will see how I do!
  • If you run any form of food business, even making cakes from home, you should contact your local EH Dept and request a food business registration form. This should be completed and returned to the LA. Some LA's have this form available on their websites.

It is unlikely however that you will ever be inspected formally, as such a venture will be considered low risk (if you start making cream cakes and the like this may well change though). Most LA's will just contact you every few years to see if you are still trading and if your operation has changed in any way. It isn't actually a legal requirement to possess a food hygiene certificate, but you should be able to demonstrate sound food hygiene knowledge and obviously put this into practice.

It is right that caterers need to have simple written pocedures in place, although if you are making biscuits and cakes (non cream) the requirements will be minimal. I would suggest getting a copy of 'Safer Food Better Business' for retailers. That will be more than sufficient for you needs. It is available free of charge from the Food Standards Agency website www.food.gov.uk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure