Destination advice for young couple

Options
Hi

Boyfriend and I (aged 27 and 33) are wanting a week away in Europe in the Summer and with so many places to choose from, I thought I’d see if there is any advice on here for which places sound good for us.

Our Requirements:

· Plenty to do in the daytime (boyfriend not a big sunbather like me) i.e watersports, boat trips, sightseeing
· Some kind of nightlife – i.e. cocktail bars, nice places to watch sunset etc (definitely not 18-30 style nightlife)
· Good restaurants nearby as we will be room only or B&B

We have both been to lots of places separately and don’t mind revisiting together but from looking at places and my experience the only places I think will be good for above are:

San Antonio Bay, Ibiza (already been) – sunset strip was a good place to hangout as I remember but worried about party people staying in hotel as that would be my worst nightmare. Most hotels are expensive even at just 3 star.

Puerto Banus (never been) – seems to have a lovely marina, nice bars, nice city to visit but is also expensive and not sure if a few days there is more appropriate than a week?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 17 April 2014 at 1:01PM
    Options
    How about the Lake Lucerne area of Switzerland, for example Vitznau or Weggis? Beautiful country, lake steamers, mountain railways.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • Rachylou1981
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation John, will take a look

Probably more gearing towards the standard beach holiday though, preferably somewhere in Spain or Canaries :)
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Options
    Depends what you want. If you want clubbing capital of the world, then it is Ibiza. If you want a chill out holiday, you on the beach, OH in the water, then the canaries might be better.Choose a resort to your likes, if lazy days then party hard, go for Las Americas, if you want chillout, then meal in nice bar/restaurant, then chill out in bar watching sunset, then try Los Gigantes, Playa Blanca Lanzarote etc. If you want prissy people and old age pensioners and the chance of cloudy skies, try Puerto de la Cruz ( apart from that, it is lovely !)!

Puerto Banus, IMO is an expensive place to stay. Full of either ' Wannabe's' or snobs. The bars etc will be more expensive, the beaches are so so. You would be better off looking somewhere else.
  • michele-p
    michele-p Posts: 820 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, I'm a big fan of Greece, I particularly love Parga, which is on the mainland. It's a great resort, there is a beautiful bay, shingle sand, with an island in the middle. You can spend hours snorkelling, the fish eat bread out of your hand, swim over to the island. There are water taxis to other beaches with water sports, and if you hire a car you can see loads. We went for a night to the Vikos Gorge, which is the deepest canyon after the grand canyon. It's beautiful.

If you are happy to go it alone and book flights to Preveza then accommodation then get as near to the harbour/front as possible, as it's hilly behind. There are packages but they all seem to go to hotels a good 15 min walk away.

We stayed here the first time: http://www.dallasstudios.gr/ which has the perfect location. Tassos the owner is very friendly. You can sit on the balcony and watch the beach and people watch.

Last year we stayed here, again brilliant position right on the beach, and very modern: http://www.parga-appartments.com/gallery.php you have to call the owner on the number on the bottom of the page, he won't reply to emails!

There are plenty of shops winding up the hill to the castle, and hundreds of tavernas to choose from. Not so much of a dancing til dawn entertainment, more of a lovely evening out with good food and people watching.

Have fun choosing!
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Stayed at the Barcelo Thalasso Spa in Caleta De Fuste in Fuerteventura last June; there are plenty of trips both on the island and to nearby Lanzarote, there's some bars (not too many) and there's no clubbers (there's no clubs!)
    It was a 4 star hotel, great service, the superior rooms are fabulous.

Going to Zante this year (again!); Tsivili (*sp) is more family orientated than Laganas, Corfu was rubbish in my opinion as was Rhodes and Kefalonia.

Benalmedina might be up your street though; close enough to Malaga to do touristy things, there's Fuengirola and Marbella up the road as well, and plenty of nice nightlife.
  • ClaudeColeman5
    Options
    Hello,
    It's a very nice to go for vacation, Your decide place is very nice and beautiful you will defiantly enjoy there but i suggest you to try some different countries like Israel which is a amazing county for something change where you find some great night life, amazing beaches and boutique hotel in jerusalem ( americancolony.com ). So have a great Fun :)
  • Lincoln_Imp
    Lincoln_Imp Posts: 2,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    have you looked at Palma Majorca ?

You could stay in Can Pastilla which is a 10 minute bus ride away from Palma
    Have a nice day :)
  • Rachylou1981
    Options
    Thanks for all those recommendations. Will take a look & keep in mind when searching for deals.

Rustyboy - I'm certainly not into clubbing anymore but bf is & I'm happy to do it for 1 or 2 nights but not whole holiday & certainly dont want to be surrounded by party people in hotels (been there done that). If we do Ibiza we will stay in a higher star hotel in quiet part so hopefully can avoid this. I think bf would love Sunset Strip & thats kind of thing I prefer
  • donglemouse
    donglemouse Posts: 2,652 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    some other options you might consider are dubrovink in croatia and rimini in italy

both are on the coast & have some lively nightlife
  • masonsmum
    masonsmum Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Im 33 and hubby 32 we went to Costa Adeje Tenerife for our honeymoon last November and had a fab time.

Plenty to do during the day if you dont want to lie at the pool, Jeep Safari up Mount Teide, boat trips to see the Whales and Dolphins, Siam Park, Aqualand and Loro Parque.

Plenty of choice of restaurants, cocktails bars, quite a few places have entertainment on at night too if thats your thing. We had an amaing time, going back in June to the same apartments, we rented them direct with the apartments as they are timeshare/private owned so its a really nice complex and not filled with 18-30 groups etc. If you want any more info feel free to PM me.:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure