8 months to save before baby arrives

2»

Comments

• turtlemoose
    turtlemoose Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Depends how far ahead you want to plan.....

You've talked about going back to work. Have you factored in the childcare costs? I've just posted elsewhere about this...my annual childcare costs are over £8k. I wish so badly that I had saved more during my pregnancy - I did save a little, but I was only thinking about that time off, not beyond. I really really wish I'd have saved more during the pregnancy, while I could, to have made things a little easier further down the line.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Congratulations & may everything go smoothly for you, husband & awaited-arrival!

Save every penny you can.
    Sort storage - and use it as a reason to shift outgrown stuff quickly. It's why space intensive items - high chairs, cots, some toys - can be found in splendid nick at silly small money, almost for the collection thereof.

May I suggest setting up a webmail address for "babymail" & sign up now for as many clubs, associations, and freebies as you can? Then using the vouchers sent only where they push total spend *down*. All the big supermarkets, all the big baby kit suppliers, just for starters (more on this site but I can't currently find the link), with the bonus that supermarkets also sell things you need yourself! (Caveat the baby kit clubs will send you whopping percentages off things You Do Not Need! Just a cheerful warning...)

If you can afford membership & have space to store things (double big if!) I found Costco great as I could get nappies, wipes, a jug of water to heat a bottle & a hot meal under one roof. (Also mashed spud for weaning, but that's a while down the line!) They're wonderfully laid back about food spillages, so you can relax. (While you can fit into the fixed seating!)

Join your local library for a wide range of reading - sign up youngling as soon as possible as they can borrow as widely but don't pay overdue fines.

Travel gently, land lightly & enjoy the ride!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure