Natwest Technical Issues

Comments

• cottager
    cottager Posts: 934 Forumite
    Don't know if these will have anything new/different which those of you with Ulster Bank won't already know, but both pieces look new within the last few hours:

http://www.u.tv/News/Ulster-Bank-pay-promise-questioned/e6781323-de61-4e81-8795-dc02497a3e83
    (including video - has adverts first)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18640035

[also posted this on Ulster Bank thread elsewhere]
    ~cottager
  • runninglea
    runninglea Posts: 907
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I give up - put in cheques for both my work on monday (bad idea I know)

The cheques havent appeared on the statements as they normally would even if the funds were not cleared.

Went into bank today and they just said 'oh yes we have lost transactions from monday and tuesday' no explanation as to when I would expect to see them appear.

I then got back to office where I rang the business manager who appologised and said that they were doing an update tonite and that all cheques would appear by tomorrow.

I will look first thing for both work and personal
    Year 2019 (1,700/£17000mortgage repayment)Overall mortgage (71,400/165568) (44
    .1%) (42/100) payments made. Total paid 2019 year £1,700

Total paid 2017 year £15,300Total paid 2018 year £13,600
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576
    Forumite
    posted at 8.30 on ulsterbank site..

We continue to work through the backlog of payments caused as a result of the IT issues experienced in RBS Group. Unfortunately, due to the complexity and scale of the backlog, we do not now expect to be fully up to date by Monday, 2nd July. We know this disruption is unacceptable and we continue to do all we can to help our customers.

just great isn't it? so glad I went aheadand opened new accounts today but cannot arrnage to transer payments in or direct debits until Ulsterbank update their system :mad:
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • falko89
    falko89 Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    doelani wrote: »
    posted at 8.30 on ulsterbank site..

We continue to work through the backlog of payments caused as a result of the IT issues experienced in RBS Group. Unfortunately, due to the complexity and scale of the backlog, we do not now expect to be fully up to date by Monday, 2nd July. We know this disruption is unacceptable and we continue to do all we can to help our customers.

just great isn't it? so glad I went aheadand opened new accounts today but cannot arrnage to transer payments in or direct debits until Ulsterbank update their system :mad:

This is totally shocking service. First they said it would be sorted last Monday. Monday came they changed it to today, they then changed it to next Monday and now goal posts have moved again,
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576
    Forumite
    falko89 wrote: »
    This is totally shocking service. First they said it would be sorted last Monday. Monday came they changed it to today, they then changed it to next Monday and now goal posts have moved again,

I am so mad. It is getting beyond a joke. We will not have our cards etc for new accounts for about 10 days but will be going int Ulster on Tuesday when ANOTHER payment is due in and withdrawing every thing except the money to cover direct debits an the cash we got yesterday. Luckily after today no more Direct debts due until 20th and will have it transferred to new Account by then .
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Unless they offer me compensation they will be losing my wife and I as customers. I have been a customer for 42 years, so I will see what loyalty brings me.
  • Agricolae
    Agricolae Posts: 380 Forumite
    edited 29 June 2012 at 11:39PM
    runninglea wrote: »

The cheques havent appeared on the statements as they normally would even if the funds were not cleared.

Went into bank today and they just said 'oh yes we have lost transactions from monday and tuesday' no explanation as to when I would expect to see them appear.

I then got back to office where I rang the business manager who appologised and said that they were doing an update tonite and that all cheques would appear by tomorrow.

Just a heads up - not all cheques will have shown up by tomorrow. This was the plan but as with so many other disappointments the time for all cheques to show in accounts has been pushed back.

The latest will be Tuesday. If you have regular payments like direct debits or standing orders out on Monday and your cheques have not shown then call and ask to raise a formal complaint because the bank cannot let those payments return due to their error.

As far as I'm aware the cheques will have debited the drawer's account already (may be wise to ask them) so when they do show on the account they will already be available funds.

In answer to other comments made on this thread about the cheques/deposits problem:

- If you paid in cash or cheques to your account either over the counter or into a deposit machine between Friday 22nd and Tuesday 26th, you may have been affected.
    - If you call up, telephony staff may or may not be able to see a scanned image of the cheque on the bank's systems. You will need to provide the date paid in, the details of the account paid into and either the exact amount or the serial number of the cheque. If you've been left in an extremely disadvantaged position by non-appearance of the funds then in some cases the bank can assist.
  • cottager
    edited 29 June 2012 at 11:48PM
    runninglea wrote: »

From a Guardian piece timed 23:02 tonight, Friday:
    'A customer in Brighton added: "I just called the hotline to find out why the cheque I paid in Monday was not showing and was told that anything paid in at the start of the week was stuck in a backlog and they hoped the money would be in my account some time late next week."'
    [ http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jun/29/natwest-fiasco-what-happens-now ]

Only a report of what someone may have said to one customer, and we can't know if it's entirely accurate, but if there's any truth that last Monday's cheques will only appear by the end of next week, that seems a long time to catch up, given they're supposed to be on the right side of it by now (with the notable exception of Ulster Bank).

I didn't bank any cheques on Monday, but I did on Thursday and the credit appeared as usual on the online statement today, Friday (the total hadn't cleared yet obviously). A Thursday banking last week had spells of appearing and disappearing over the weekend while they were reprocessing, but by Monday had reappeared with the correct date and details. I bank 'manually' over the counter with a paying-in book rather than via the automated deposit machine.

EDIT
    Sorry, had not seen Agricolae's response above before posting this.
    ~cottager
    1111 Posts: 260 Forumite
    Hi, anyone know if payments are still being cleared on a saturday?
  • cottager
    edited 30 June 2012 at 3:19AM
    Letter from Stephen Hester to the chairman of the Treasury Select Committee
    29 June

(extracts only)

On the original incident:
    'The initial reviews we have carried out indicate that the problem was created when maintenance on systems, which are managed and operated by our team in Edinburgh, caused an error in our batch scheduler. This error caused the automated batch processing to fail on the night of Tuesday 19 June. The knock-on effects were substantial and required significant manual interventions from our team, compounded because the team could not access the record of transactions that had been processed up to the point of failure. The need to first establish at what point processing had stopped delayed subsequent batches and created a substantial backlog. It is not clear at this stage why that record was not available. Consequently, a significant number of customer account balances did not update as they should have from Thursday 21 June.'

On Ulster Bank situation:
    'Ulster Bank has been more heavily affected, which we particularly regret, as it is, in part, dependent on NatWest systems. While progress is being made we are being purposefully cautious in our approach to ensure our solutions are sustainable. We expect the Ulster Bank situation to have improved substantially by early next week. We continue to work closely with the Central Bank of Ireland and regularly update them on progress. We are working day and night to process the backlog of transactions for Ulster Bank as quickly as possible though some level of inconvenience is likely to continue into next week.'

Read full text of the letter here:
    http://www.rbs.com/news/2012/06/stephen-hester-response-AT.html

The text of the Treasury Select Committee's original letter (to which Hester was responding) should be available from a link on this page:
    http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/treasury-committee/news/tyrie-demands-answers-over-computer-failures/
    but instead of a PDF opening I only see gobbledygook -- don't know if it's just me (a link to another letter, written to the FSA, opens fine).
    ~cottager
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport