Vision Express "FREE" Eye Test Voucher - scam?!

2»

Comments

• fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    pmduk wrote: »
    If you still have the voucher refer it to the Advertising Standards Authority

Agreed. If you're confident that the letter and voucher were misleading, i.e. that the test would be free regardless of whether you need a prescription, or buy from them, then refer it to the ASA.

OP, you need also to write to their complaints dept enclosing photocopies of the letter and voucher, explain what happened and why you think you've been mislead and ask for your money back.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I don't think it's a scam. It sounds pretty usual to me - the freebie part is only redeemable if you buy their product and lenses and frames are pretty much always charged separately.

It might be that the voucher wasn't very clear, but without having sight (ha ha!) of this, it's difficult for me to comment on whether they're being a bit naughty with their wording.

I've had one of these vouchers delivered too, I'm not going to take them up on the offer but if I did I would have the eye test which would show I have 20/20 vision and no need for glasses so how can they then make me pay for the test? Until you have the test you may not know whether you need glasses or not and it doesn't say on the voucher that you only get a free eye test if you make a purchase, it says free eye test and a separate voucher with £50 off eyeware. Nothing to even suggest that both vouchers have to be used let alone together.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    I've had one of these vouchers delivered too, I'm not going to take them up on the offer but if I did I would have the eye test which would show I have 20/20 vision and no need for glasses so how can they then make me pay for the test? Until you have the test you may not know whether you need glasses or not and it doesn't say on the voucher that you only get a free eye test if you make a purchase, it says free eye test and a separate voucher with £50 off eyeware. Nothing to even suggest that both vouchers have to be used let alone together.

Even more reason for the OP to complain then. Seems like they're being rather naughty. Or, alternatively, she was badly advised in the shop.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You can also report them to your local trading standards.

On top of that, personally.....I would also put your complaint into writing sending a copy to both your local store and their head office.

In the letter, state you are requesting reimbursement of your £25. Give brief details such as date/time of visit, store location, and what happened. State that in a contract, you cannot bind consumers to hidden terms. Give them 14 days to refund your money. Keep your letter as simple and as striaghtforward as possible. Avoid being emotional (by using such phrases like i'm disappointed, i'm angry, i was shocked etc). Stick to the facts.

From OFT's Unfair Contract Terms Guidance (which can be found here http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/unfair_contract_terms/oft311.pdf) :
    Schedule 2, paragraph 1, states that terms may be unfair if they
    have the object or effect of:
    (i) irrevocably binding the consumer to terms with which he had no
    real opportunity of becoming acquainted before the conclusion of
    the contract.

9.1 Terms which have the effect of making consumers agree to accept
    obligations of which they can have no knowledge at the time of contracting
    are open to serious objection. It is a fundamental requirement of contractual
    fairness that consumers should always have an opportunity to read and
    understand terms before becoming bound by them (see Part IV).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Funnily enough, I used a voucher for a free eye test in VE last week. This voucher was in my Nectar card benefits mailout and the reverse of the voucher actually stated 'This voucher entitles you to a free eye test with no conditions' It actually stated 'no conditions'.

I went to VE, had my eye test and then they did the stuff about looking at lenses and frames as I needed glasses.

I looked at some frames (with no intention of buying from them) and than said to the salesperson that I would like to come back at the end of the month to buy.

I took my prescription and left.

I can now use my prescription wherever there is a good deal so I've done allright this time!
  • BlueAngelCV
    BlueAngelCV Posts: 671 Forumite
    I would write a letter to Vision Express complaining.

I understand that they wouldn't let you use the £50.00 voucher if you were coming back at a later date (although ideally they would do) but to suggest that you have to pay because you didn't purchase glasses is ridiculous and I'm sure that isn't what was intended. Are they really suggesting that if you have a test and don't need glasses they will then charge you?!
    Wedding 5th September 2015
  • I'd like to add to this that I think VE are running a pretty good scam on charging for lenses INDIVIDUALLY - I've never had this.

Went into maidenhead for 1 pair of glasses with the free eye test, was offered an extra pair for 30 quid, thought great.

Got to the lenses discussion and the sales woman clearly said "Option 1 is £62.50"

I chose option 1 for what i thought was my LENSES - only to find when checking my reciept that I was charged 125 for 2 very slight lenses..

I hate it when people use decieving language, I was in a rush and getting a lot of things, so I didnt realise that I'd been ripped off on this one order...

It's like charging an individual price for a shoe.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    scoobos wrote: »
    I'd like to add to this that I think VE are running a pretty good scam on charging for lenses INDIVIDUALLY - I've never had this.
    Then you've not been to many opticians.
  • ok I stand corrected then....
  • I emailed a complaint through the Vision Express website, which got passed onto the manager of the branch I visited. He then called me to apologise for the mistake and to offer me a refund for my eye test.

I was also promised a free lense treatment worth £30 for my troubles (wooooo!) but instead I went to Specsavers for my glasses. Much cheaper (lense price included in price of the frames) as well as a Buy One Get One Free on ALL frames, not just a small selection like in VE.

Much much happier with the service I received at Specsavers but appreciate the call from the VE store manager. And, of course, glad I got my money back!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure