PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Forgot to Soak Dried Beans Overnight; Anything I Can Do?

Hi, I planned to make chilli con carne tonight but forgot to soak the kidney beans overnight.

I remember reading somewhere that there is something you can do (like boiling and rinsing and boiling, etc) if you do forget to soak them, but I don't remember it and the quick searches I've done on the net only mention about pre-soaking for 8 hours which I now don't have the time for!

Can anyone help?? :o

Comments

• I agree - sure I've seen that you can do this, but can't remember the recipe. This site says it's fine to not soak - the reason for doing it is that the beans absorb some moisture so cook more quickly.

If I remember, the method is to pour boiling water over the beans. Bring to the boil and boil for 30 mins. Leave for the rest of the day, then simmer for about 1 to 1.5 hours to cook.

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • QOTD
    QOTD Posts: 218
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    That sounds good enough for me, thanks Penny. I best get started ....
  • maypole
    maypole Posts: 1,816
    Forumite
    I thought it was dangerous NOT to soak them. I use the canned ones and they are fine, just rinse them and they are ready to use.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Hi
    I've heard somewhere that it's dangerous to cook red kidney beans without soaking too.

I know there was something years ago about people who were putting unsoaked beans into the slow cooker & it made them ill.

If I were you, QOTD, I'd be inclined to put the chilli off until tomorrow, get the beans a-soaking and plan something else for tea tonight.

Regards
    Polly
  • Not sure about this - don't want to cause a poisoning :o

My understanding is that you need to cook the beans thoroughly to destroy the potential toxin in them. That's why the first cooking is a rolling boil rather than a simmer.

As ever, exercise caution when taking advice from this board, but I know what I'd do.

Penny. x
  • Pollycat wrote: »
    Hi
    I've heard somewhere that it's dangerous to cook red kidney beans without soaking too.

I know there was something years ago about people who were putting unsoaked beans into the slow cooker & it made them ill.

If I were you, QOTD, I'd be inclined to put the chilli off until tomorrow, get the beans a-soaking and plan something else for tea tonight.

Regards
    Polly

That's because a slow cooker might not be at a high enough temperature for long enough.

Penny. x
  • QOTD
    QOTD Posts: 218
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone for your responses, I usually keep a can of beans in for emergencies (ie when I forget to soak them) but I hadn't any at the moment. I also remember something about them being dangerous to use without soaking.

I have decided to boil them for 30 mins skimming off any skum that has appeared, rinse and boil again. I've done this 3 times now so they've been boiling away in total of 1.5 hours. I've now left them to soak in clean water so they should get a further 3-4 hours soak before I am ready to cook with them.

I'll take a look then, and decide whether to use them or not
  • rockie4
    rockie4 Posts: 1,264
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    As I remember it's not the soaking, it's that you need to boil rapidly for 10-15 minutes to ensure the toxins are killed off, so if you've boiled them 3 times they should be fine.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I have a lamb casserol in my slow cooker & I had planned on adding Tesco dried mixed beans to it to pad it out, I already have loads of veg in it. However, I totally forgot the beans have to soak for 8 hours before boiling for 10 mins then adding to the SC. Does anyone know if I can speed up the soaking process somehow, cook them in the microwave or something?

Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • jennybb
    jennybb Posts: 228 Forumite
    Lillibet, does the bean mix have dark beans (like kidney beans) in it? I think that they are the ones that have to be soaked and boiled - I think they have a toxin in them. I'm sure a more knowledgeable person will be along soon ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure