Average gas and electric bill?

Cashcade
Cashcade Posts: 99 Forumite
edited 24 February 2011 at 5:54PM in Energy

What would approximate annual cost of gas and elec be for a 3 bedroomed house, based on 2 adults and a kid?

I'm trying to estimate how much it would cost and incorporate it into outgoings so i could incorporate into budget?

Comments

• oldwiring
    oldwiring Posts: 2,452
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    FWIW I and OH (retired) pay a total of £72 p.mth
  • oramgepekoe
    oramgepekoe Posts: 574
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    3 bed, 2 adults including stay-at-home mum, 1 child. £75 per month.
  • Cashcade
    Cashcade Posts: 99 Forumite
    3 bed, 2 adults including stay-at-home mum, 1 child. £75 per month.

it seems a lot that.
  • Jandy1234
    Jandy1234 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Hi, I was told that an average four bed house with a family of adults and two children would use approx £1000-1200 annually depending on insulation, heating efficiency etc. This came from Powergen consumption team when I was querying my winter bill. Best wishes from Jandy
    PS The above quotes of £70 odd per month look very reasonable to me, we pay £125 per month and it barely covers our bill. Yours might be in the region of £80-90 if you are in during the daytime as well as evenings and nights.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    I agree with the post above(#5).

The average family spends approx £1000pa of gas & electricity.

However that average figure could cover extremes of £300 to £3000.

There are so many factors that affect consumption that it is impossible to give a meaningful estimate.

Where you live - Electricity prices vary and NE Scotland is colder than SW England!

Size of house - Insulation - how warm you like rooms - In all day or out at work/school - Appliances used - efficiency of gas boiler - baths or showers -etc etc.
  • hi we live in a 2 bed house 2 adults and one child and moving to 3 bed house i expect our elec usage to be the same.

we are with edf energy pay £40 for gas and elec with them and if we go over this we get charged a bill at the end of the year.but we havent gone over so not been billed any extra.

hth a bit

luv leigh,hollie and pink bump x x x
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,441
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hi we live in a 2 bed house 2 adults and one child and moving to 3 bed house i expect our elec usage to be the same.

we are with edf energy pay £40 for gas and elec with them and if we go over this we get charged a bill at the end of the year.but we havent gone over so not been billed any extra.

hth a bit

luv leigh,hollie and pink bump x x x

£40 for each I would guess, not £40 in total?
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • Alfrescodave
    Alfrescodave Posts: 988
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Jandy1234 wrote: »
    Hi, I was told that an average four bed house with a family of adults and two children would use approx £1000-1200 annually depending on insulation, heating efficiency etc. This came from Powergen consumption team when I was querying my winter bill.

Totally agree, we are paying £105 a month for gas +elec for 3 bed detached house in Southern England.
  • Cactus_Jack
    Cactus_Jack Posts: 592
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    avg is around £40 per fuel per month
  • MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    It really depends... if the electric heating is storage heaters and you want heat in the evenings then they will need to be on the same length of time as if you were in all day (usually 7 hours overnight). Are you on economy 7 or 10? This is the tarriff for storage heater households and gives cheaper electricity at night (the elec co will tell you the exact period). You can make sure you do the washing/dishwasher/tumble drying then too to save money.
    If the heating is electric fires/ fan heaters then this is more expensive, but you can only have them on when you need them.
    Is the flat well insulated? Do you have a flat below you? These things mean you will probably be warmer anyway and need heating less.

Sorry not much help, but if you give us as much info as poss someone will come back with a more accurate amount. :)

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family