0870 and 0871 costs?

I am probably being dim but I could not find the costs of calling 0870 or 0871 numbers on the BT website. Does anyone know the costs? Are 0871 more expensive than 0870.

I am in the process of remortgaging with the Woolwich and they have appointed Optima Legal Services, of Bradford to be the solicitor and I am annoyed that their contact number is 0871.

They called me and left a message on my voicemail as I was out and I have refused to phone them back on their 0871 number so emailed them instead! I could not find an alternative normal number.

My other question is, I assume me living in London and them in Bradford, if they had a nomal number, would it be cheaper than an 0870/0871 number as it costs more for further distance than local numbers doesn't it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    phil7445 wrote:
    I am probably being dim but I could not find the costs of calling 0870 or 0871 numbers on the BT website. Does anyone know the costs? Are 0871 more expensive than 0870.
    I find THIS version (scroll down to Page 30) of the BT price list of the cost of calling such numbers slightly easier to decipher.
    phil7445 wrote:
    My other question is, I assume me living in London and them in Bradford, if they had a nomal number, would it be cheaper than an 0870/0871 number as it costs more for further distance than local numbers doesn't it?
    For residential BT customers, the cost of calling a 'local' number has been the same as calling any other UK 01 or 02 number since July 2004 - when BT forced most users onto their BT Together packages. For those on BT Together Option 1, the cost is 3p 'call set-up fee' plus 3p per minute weekdays or 5.5p for up to an hour evenings or weekends.

Calls to 084/087 numbers are charged in a different way (in reality, a premium is charged). See the below post for some examples.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=2857316&postcount=3
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • phil7445
    phil7445 Posts: 483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks Heinz.

BT don't make it easy to find the costs. So it is about 10p a minute during the day?

LOL! So I am a bit behind the times thinking it is more expensive to call non local numbers!!
  • DonnyDave
    DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Get yourself onto Say no to 0870. You will find a database of geographical (01/02) numbers. ;)

0871 is different to 0870. 0871 numbers can be upto 10p/min at all times. You will need to provide the next few digits (usually 3 digits) after the 0871 bit to get the right price.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    phil7445 wrote:
    Thanks Heinz.

BT don't make it easy to find the costs. So it is about 10p a minute during the day?

LOL! So I am a bit behind the times thinking it is more expensive to call non local numbers!!
    Yes, I find it impossible to retain all the variations in my head so, when I have no PC access to check before dialling, I assume 'worst case' prices thus:

Worst case for 0845 is 3p/minute;
    Worst case for 0870 is 7p/minute;
    Worst case for 0871 is 10p/minute;

BTW, sounds like you might benefit from a click on the 'HERE' link in my signature below as well!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • phil7445
    phil7445 Posts: 483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just a quick update in case anyone else has to deal with Optima Legal Services as I had to phone them today. At the back of a letter from them it gave details of who to contact in case of a complaint and it gives a number for the customer services department of 01274 355276. I phoned the number and said who I wanted to speak to and she said she will try and put me through to him, but then she asked if she could help instead and she did! So there was no problem calling that number instead of the 0871 number!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure