Buyer has paid UK delivery price for an item going to Jersey

Options
I have just sold an item, which had a UK delivery price shown.

The winning bidder is from Jersey and paid for the item plus postage almost immediately after the sale.

I had originally planned using a courier, as parcel size doesn't matter, only the weight is critical. Now I'll have to send using Royal Mail, but will have to wait until tomorrow to get a price. I can't spend my time looking for a certain sized box, so will just find what I have, get it weighed and obtain the price.

Should I write a polite note to the buyer explaining the situation and refund the original Paypal payment, then send off a new invoice. I say a new invoice ... it'll actually be the first. As I didn't know the price when the item ended last night I didn't send one off..

Comments

• olgadapolga
    Options
    Are you seriously suggesting that you are going to ask your buyer for a further payment for P&P than you stated on your listing? That may well be against Ebay policy and if I was your buyer, I'd be refusing to pay the extra and would be thinking about leaving a negative feedback.

Whenever I've under-estimated P&P, I've always taken the hit; there's no way I'd even think about asking for an extra payment.
  • FidgitsID
    FidgitsID Posts: 227 Forumite
    edited 28 September 2014 at 5:01PM
    Options
    Jersey has postcodes I think, so rm will be same price as in the UK.

As to asking the buyer for more money for royal mail because you cant use a courier. I dont see why buyer should pay extra for your mistake.

You knew you were using a courier, but it seems you did not exclude overseas buyers (with UK postcodes) from bidding OR include postage for overseas countrys. Did you state in the listing that this was being sold to UK mainland only ? (or whatever area your courier covers)

As far as I know RM are the only ones who charge the same to anywhere overseas with a UK postcode.

This is not the buyers fault, Id learn the lesson and post it without asking for more.
  • TKPeters
    TKPeters Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    edited 28 September 2014 at 6:42PM
    Options
    WLM21 wrote: »
    I have just sold an item, which had a UK delivery price shown.

Jersey is classed as the UK for Royal Mail, although you will also need to fill a CN22, as they're not in the EU.

FYI: You can set-up Postage tables [http://frame.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ShippingRateTable] for the Channel Islands etc,
    to surcharge £10 extra, which is what we do, as our courier charges the same as France for Jersey

or you can block the Channel Islands all together; http://cgi5.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ExcludeShippingList
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have also fallen foul of this. You can either take a hit on a defect and cancel the sale or take a hit for the extra cost of posting Royal Mail. Asking for more P&P would depend on the buyer, but most will refuse and rightly so.

Just remember to do as above and block Channel Islands and PO Boxes on the locations you post to so you don't have to worry about it happening again on items you want to post by courier.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jersey postal prices from the UK are the same as mainline UK prices. I posted something last week and have done prior to that too.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Jersey isn't in or classed as UK, it may be the same price as mainland for RM but it isn't classed as UK, because it isn't. So to all those who think Jersey is in the UK or EU, go back to school!

If you sell on eBay, you can set islands separately, do so if your parcel is over 2kg.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    TKPeters wrote: »
    Jersey is classed as the UK for Royal Mail, although you will also need to fill a CN22, as they're not in the EU.

No, jersey isn't UK. Nor do RM class it as such.
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2014 at 7:06AM
    Options
    No, jersey isn't UK. Nor do RM class it as such.

The postage to the Channel Islands (and the Isle of Man) are charged the same as sending to anywhere else in the UK and all UK services can be used to send stuff there, ie recorded and Special Delivery. They all have UK postcodes. The residents of the islands can also access ALL Royal Mails services for the same price as people on the mainland. If that isn't Royal Mail CLASSING the islands as part of the UK, what is?
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    usefulmale wrote: »
    The postage to the Channel Islands (and the Isle of Man) are charged the same as sending to anywhere else in the UK and all UK services can be used to send stuff there, ie recorded and Special Delivery. They all have UK postcodes. The residents of the islands can also access ALL Royal Mails services for the same price as people on the mainland. If that isn't Royal Mail CLASSING the islands as part of the UK, what is?

It isn't the UK. It isn't classed as the UK other than by people who are misinformed or just ignorant.

Why you think RM class them as the UK is beyond me.

Even in their help, they quite clearly don't include them as the UK.

Oh, and they don't allow ALL services.
    You can send mail to the Channel Islands for the same price as mail to UK destinations. This includes next day delivery for 1st Class mail. Some services are not available or subject to different guaranteed delivery times, however customers in the Channel Islands can access all of the UK products via their local postal operator.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 29 September 2014 at 11:03AM
    Options
    So what passports are Jersey residents entitled to hold if born there ?

Ah found it Jersey is a Crown Dependency not an overseas territory of the UK.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family