PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Whats the difference between a turnip and a swede?

I've recently found a great cheap organic food coop just round the corner, so it's time to get used to new veg which I haven't bought before.

This week we got two of what I thought were swedes but my boyfriend said were turnips, I've done some searchs on google and can't work out the difference. :confused:

I'm also going to have to get used to using loads of potatos, so will need to shift from rice & pasta based dishes to potato based. Have also toyed with idea of making soup for boyfriends packed lunches instead of him having to live on cheese and pickle sarnies.

I'd never thought I'd get so much organic fruit & veg for just £6 a week! :j
Proud to be a moneysaver! :cool:

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Is the bf a Scot by any chance? I believe swedes are known as turnips or 'neeps in Scotland.

To me, an Englishwoman a swede is quite a big beast- about the size of a baby's head. They are purply-orange on the outside and orange inside.Swedes are delicious boiled and mashed and served with lots of butter and black pepper.

A turnip is much smaller and is purple at one end and white at the other. They are white inside.

HTH
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    swede swede.jpg

turnip 922325_T.JPG

swede turnip sven_pc.jpg
  • The difference is that I love swede but hate turnip

Is that any help at all? :D:D:D
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,555
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    fatbelly: brilliant!!!!!
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Also in N.Ireland turnips are the big purple things with orange insides - and swedes are those other things as pictured by fatbelly. Google will be suitably confused too I bet. Thank you fatbelly for those pictures. Specially the one of poor Sven lol.

The English supermarkets sometimes get turnips and swedes confused too here in N.Ireland - or rather they don't always label what we N.Irelanders know as turnip to be turnip. I wonder if they get the price confused too.

The other one that caused me mega confusion was scallions - known as spring onion in England. I didn't know what spring onions were for a long time - I just thought the scallions were in the wrong place on the shelf, lol!

Then there is aubergine and egg plant - the same thing, but egg plant is the name the Americans use.

Zuccini = courgettes
  • Maddie
    Maddie Posts: 858
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you,

I think I'm right then, always imagined turnips to be pale.

My swede looks like fatbelly's first pic.
    Proud to be a moneysaver! :cool:
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    A good way to make both turnips and swede taste MAGNIFICENT:

Do not boil, but cube and sautee in a pan with olive oil, chopped garlic and shredded fresh chillies. Once cooked, sprinkle with freshly chopped flat leaf parsley. Enjoy!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • I cook my swede and make mash (as you would potato) and then add a grated carrot which has been steamed in the microwave. Makes the best mashed swede.
  • turnips & swedes are the same vegetable. scots call them turnips. we carve turnips for halloween. think the picture called "turnip" just looks different due to the way the picture has been taken
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • CarolnMalky
    CarolnMalky Posts: 14,254
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Turnips are things you put in stews etc...swedes come from sweden?
    If you obey all the rules...you miss all the fun!! Katherine Hepburn
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport