Item not received: best way to proceed?

I bought a couple of auction items on eBay last Tuesday afternoon from a business seller with good feedback in the thousands. I would have expected either item on an average day to have made beween £10 and £20, but the other bidders just weren't around, and I won them for 99p and £1.04! I paid immediately by PayPal.

The seller's dispatch details say "Will usually dispatch within 1 working day of receiving cleared payment" and the items were marked as dispatched (2nd class) later the same afternoon, though I realise that does not mean much these days. eBay gave an estimated arrival of between last Friday and this Monday. They have still not arrived today (Tuesday) so as you might imagine, the possibility of foul play has crossed my mind!

The range of topics you can select when you contact a seller has changed recently. For my initial contact, would it be more diplomatic to use "I have a question..." rather than "I didn't receive my item"? When should I open an INR case?

I don't want a refund: I want what I purchased. If the seller simply refunds my payment, does it finish the matter and give me no further options? Does the seller have to be able to produce proof of posting?

Comments

• campdave
    campdave Posts: 2,198 Forumite
    Vernier wrote: »

I don't want a refund: I want what I purchased. If the seller simply refunds my payment, does it finish the matter and give me no further options? Does the seller have to be able to produce proof of posting?

Contact the buyer and see what they say. Start by asking a question rather than opening a case.

Ebay cannot force anyone to send you anything. It would be up to you to leave feedback as you see fit.
  • Thanks. I had the feeling that "Where is my item" might open a case, which is not what I want to do initially.
  • Kaimoo
    Kaimoo Posts: 116 Forumite
    Hi,

We sold something recently for £14 and sent it first class with proof of postage, however the buyer is saying she didn't receive the item and deposit seeing proof of postage is saying she is extremely unhappy with me like it's my fault.

Anyway it appears royal mail have lost it and I haven't got a leg to stand on, if she opens a dispute eBay will refund her and I'll need to make a claim against royal mail. I think if you just ask for a refund you will probably get it, this buyer asked me for a refund I refused because it had only been five days and royal mail don't consider anything missing till after 15 days.

It's likely she would get her refund and the item would turn up, I know for a fact she will leave me bad feedback despite posting the item the day after she won it and sending her proof of it this.

I don't know how common missing mail is, but I do think asking a business seller for a refund would be the best thing to do.

I used to like eBay but one bad transaction has stressed me out, the buyer was extremely rude :(
  • Kaimoo wrote: »
    Hi,

We sold something recently for £14 and sent it first class with proof of postage, however the buyer is saying she didn't receive the item and deposit seeing proof of postage is saying she is extremely unhappy with me like it's my fault.

Anyway it appears royal mail have lost it and I haven't got a leg to stand on, if she opens a dispute eBay will refund her and I'll need to make a claim against royal mail. I think if you just ask for a refund you will probably get it, this buyer asked me for a refund I refused because it had only been five days and royal mail don't consider anything missing till after 15 days.

It's likely she would get her refund and the item would turn up, I know for a fact she will leave me bad feedback despite posting the item the day after she won it and sending her proof of it this.

I don't know how common missing mail is, but I do think asking a business seller for a refund would be the best thing to do.

I used to like eBay but one bad transaction has stressed me out, the buyer was extremely rude :(

It is immaterial that RM don't consider it lost until that amount of time. Your buyer is the one to keep onside. There is absolutely no reason why a lost parcel should result in poor feedback unless the seller is a poor seller.
  • Vernier wrote: »
    Thanks. I had the feeling that "Where is my item" might open a case, which is not what I want to do initially.

It has supposed to have changed as from last week. You should now be able to ask in a 'request' rather than open a case.

What options do you get presented with when you start to ask a question?
  • Kaimoo
    Kaimoo Posts: 116 Forumite
    Well the buyer was furious that she hasn't received her item, I sent her a copy of the receipt with proof of postage and I just got more grief saying she isn't happy and will be opening a dispute.

It's likely it will turn up, it was over a week ago now and it was posted in good time. My feedback is 100% positive but her attitude I can just tell I'll get negative feedback despite it being outwith my control, I've got no issue with eBay refunding her and I'll make a claim against rm.

For all I know she's at it and just wants to have it for free, it's the last time I post an item unless it's special delivery
  • Kaimoo wrote: »
    Well the buyer was furious that she hasn't received her item, I sent her a copy of the receipt with proof of postage and I just got more grief saying she isn't happy and will be opening a dispute.

It's likely it will turn up, it was over a week ago now and it was posted in good time. My feedback is 100% positive but her attitude I can just tell I'll get negative feedback despite it being outwith my control, I've got no issue with eBay refunding her and I'll make a claim against rm.

For all I know she's at it and just wants to have it for free, it's the last time I post an item unless it's special delivery

I would be furious if you sent me a copy of the proof of posting.

Feedback isn't important any longer, it's defects that count. If you have an unresolved case, that will be another black mark on your account.

If you have no issue refunding her, just do it.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Kaimoo wrote: »
    Hi,

Things go missing in the post from time to time and a proof of posting is just showing the parcel was accepted at your PO.

I can understand her being unhappy when you sent a scan of the PoP and refused to refund. You need to be soothing and reassuring to buyers if there is a problem - even if you think they may be trying it on. It is your account at risk in these situations.

If something has not arrived I apologise and ask them to wait a few days to see if it turns up, but am clear that I will refund if it doesn't arrive.

Yes, you will need to refund if they say they have not received it. You can try to smooth things over so they will be content receiving a refund and not hit your feedback.

The good news is that with the PoP (assuming you sent a scan and didn't post the receipt to the buyer) you can claim your costs from RM in a few days time and will not be out of pocket.
  • I would be furious if you sent me a copy of the proof of posting.
    :eek:

What planet are you on???

If I had a query and asked my seller when was it posted, and received a scan/photo of the receipt/proof of posting I would at least know it was not the seller playing about and be much more inclined to give a longer waiting period before getting concerned.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    :eek:

What planet are you on???

If I had a query and asked my seller when was it posted, and received a scan/photo of the receipt/proof of posting I would at least know it was not the seller playing about and be much more inclined to give a longer waiting period before getting concerned.

I think the problem is that there are too many people who sell something and think once it is handed over to the post office it is not their problem anymore. I often see in listings something along the lines of wording that if the item is lost in the post they will supply the buyer with proof of posting to claim themselves.

I am not saying this is what happened in this case, but unfortunately people can read things or take things the wrong way. Personally anything over £10 I either send My Hermes or at least recorded because it is just not worth the risk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure