Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > TV MoneySaving > Where to get Formula 1 on telly (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Where to get Formula 1 on telly
Closed Thread
Views: 4,429
# 21
davemurgatroyd
Old 19-03-2012, 11:01 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by almillar View Post
Thanks for the correction about it being on Virgin. And just to correct post #9 justbiteme2k - the cheapest way is NOT to add sports (and get it in SD) but to add the HD pack for half the price (£10.25) AND get it in HD.
His post was referring to Virgin who only supply Sky Sports F1 as part of the Sports Collection and do not do an HD pack - you are referring to Sky subscriptions not VM.
The Following User Says Thank You to davemurgatroyd For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
Leon W
Old 19-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to Leon W

I went down the RTL route to watch F1 live.

Bought the Ross HD Satellite kit from B&Q (£49.99) but only paid £44.99 as I got an old person to buy it on Wednesday for the extra 10% discount

Pointed it at Astra 19.2 and that's all there was too it.

RTL had a few ad breaks but nothing like the bad old ITV days and even a couple of those they still showed the race picture in picture. Listened via Radio 5 Live on my laptop and the commentary was perfectly in sync with the picture.

Not many english language channels on Astra 19.2 apart from BBC World but there is plenty of French, German, Spanish, Austrian and other channels showing all sorts of sport. I'll only use it for the F1 to be honest but will switch it to 28.2 during the off season to pick up Freesat channels. For a one off payment it should see me OK for the next few years.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leon W For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
BYF
Old 24-03-2012, 6:07 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Tried to get my old sky minidish and pace receiver to pick up Astra 1 19.2 E, but no luck, it just says "not locked" with no ID just four zeros, despite having a signal.

2 weeks ago before the F1 season started I had no such problems, it locked on fine, as I added RTL through the other channels menu. Has something changed? Have Sky locked out all the old boxes?
# 24
Colin_London
Old 24-03-2012, 11:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYF View Post
Tried to get my old sky minidish and pace receiver to pick up Astra 1 19.2 E, but no luck, it just says "not locked" with no ID just four zeros, despite having a signal.

2 weeks ago before the F1 season started I had no such problems, it locked on fine, as I added RTL through the other channels menu. Has something changed? Have Sky locked out all the old boxes?
Just go down the route of getting a very cheap FTV DVB-S receiver (less than £30 new off Amazon) and attaching it to the dish instead of the Pace.
# 25
Colin_London
Old 24-03-2012, 11:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The current best workaround appears to be to watch RTL (SD) which is FTA on Astra 19.2E, perhaps by using a caravan mobile dish and cheap FTA reciever. Astra 19.2E signal is very strong in the UK, as good as Sky.

Then use BBC Radio 5 Live via a DAB radio (or possibly your Freeview box into an amp) for the commentary - apparently the delay in the DAB feed lines the commentary up almost exactly with the RTL picture.

Unfortunately you do have to put up with German ad breaks.
# 26
scooby75
Old 25-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Or just stream it live. No Ads, nothing additional to buy.
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
# 27
dazzaofdagenham
Old 26-03-2012, 5:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

And how do I do that ?
# 28
BYF
Old 26-03-2012, 9:21 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Got the HD Satellite kit from B&Q today, should hopefully have RTL up and running very soon, plus access to free UK HD channels, still don't have freeview HD here. Another good thing about it is it looks like I can record to USB stick with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to BYF For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
almillar
Old 27-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

BYF, I reckon you would have been better buying a Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat box which can do all the same stuff but has a nice programme guide, proper hard drive built in, and iPlayer etc if you connect to your broadband. Do you know the difference between Freesat and free satellite (which you've just bought)? I also think you need to point the dish in different directions to get RTL and the UK stuff?
# 30
Leon W
Old 31-03-2012, 3:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to Leon W

B&Q are now selling the Ross HD satellite kit for £40 until April 12th for those interested.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leon W For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread