Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• d0nna
    d0nna Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    andygb wrote: »
    I reckon I know what a good takeaway is, and I also cook curries from scratch, and I think these Aldi curries are better than some of the takeaways I have had.
    To be honest, I was shocked - in a good way:)
    There seemed to be more meat than any other takeaway, and the meat had absorbed the flavour of the spices, unlike a lot of other ready meals.
    I am also glad that they didn't have rice with them, because for me that is the biggest failing area of ready meals, and I would rather have my home prepared biryani.

Thanks for the recommendation. Yeah the rice with ready meals can be unpleasant. I will have to have an Indian night very soon.
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Think the rice-less curries are a one off as checked our Lidl today and they didn't have any. They did have the Indian starters for 95p.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Think the rice-less curries are a one off as checked our Lidl today and they didn't have any. They did have the Indian starters for 95p.

Read back through the past few posts , and then make sure you go into the correct chain of stores :)
  • I do like the Indian Night Takeaway for Two bags that Aldi sell.
    Competition Wins:

Glee Goodie Bag!
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    d0nna wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendation. Yeah the rice with ready meals can be unpleasant. I will have to have an Indian night very soon.

I should have added that I microwaved both dishes as opposed to oven heat. I did cheat a little with the Jalfrezi (because that was going to be my one - hotter), and I did a few extra slices of onions and six green birdseye chillis to a pan, and sauteed them, then added the Jalfrezi to it once it had cooked.

This is the biryani rice

23024783734_52e596f11e_z.jpg
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    dlusman wrote: »
    Read back through the past few posts , and then make sure you go into the correct chain of stores :)

That explains why I couldn't find them :rotfl:
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Aldi's Daily Essentials pack of 6 toilet rolls - £1.99 - excellent quality, on a par with Andrex, if not better.
  • Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Aldi's Daily Essentials pack of 6 toilet rolls - £1.99 - excellent quality, on a par with Andrex, if not better.
    Are they the double rolls?
    If they are try the Nicky toilet rolls from Farmfoods, as an Aldi fan even I think the Nicky ones are much nicer (3 ply as well)
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Green and red grapes in Aldi @ £1.19 for 400g.
    Not sure if it national or local as the shop I was in had just re-opened after a refit.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Graham's dairy ice cream purchased recently in Lidl. Lovely creamy vanilla ice cream, made in Scotland and offered as 2 litres for the price of one. (£2.99) I think that it was a special but worth looking out for (blue tub) I hope that it becomes a regular... :) Love ice cream.....
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure