Student Finance Complaints Process

Comments

• I really can't believe these people! I have just logged into my details on the SF page and find they have changed the figures I submitted for 2011/12 to the wrong ones they insist on using.

Where have they come from? The pension/employment income figures are correct but the rest are completely fictitious.
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've sent a PM.
  • Well, at least I have had a reply of sorts from Darlington Complaints.

Funny how they have chosen to apply the wrong figures for both instead of the right ones, completely ignoring anything I write.

And they confirm it is progressing through the complaints process.I wonder how long I will have to wait?

"The assessments were changed for all academic years since
    2009/10 so that *****'s and ******'s assessments are
    identical. SFE is required to assess all siblings exactly
    the same for the appropriate tax year.

Your complaint has been referred to our headquarters in
    Glasgow for further review."
  • Surprise, surprise. No response yet from the next stage of the complaints process.

1. Presumably the complaint was not referred when I asked three times, but hopefully it was when I was told it had been referred 8 working days later.

2. The Head of Service has now had 5 working days after I had been told it had been referred. No response. Hence they are failing to meet their standards - but I think that is par for the course.

Disturbingly, I have not had the courtesy of an acknowledgement from my MP or David Willetts either.

Is this a conspiracy?

Roll on 6th May and my MP's surgery.
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It may be that the MP's aren't currently available due to the recess. I'm not sure how things are I'm afraid though.

Not spoken to him for a while myself actually.
  • I did wonder if that was the case, though there must be workers in the constituency office who could provide me with the courtesy of an acknowledgenent of my email.

Just a waiting game at the moment.

However, I assume there is no recess at SF England's head office in Glasgow so there is no excuse for a lack of reponse within the proscribed period.
  • lorietta
    lorietta Posts: 128 Forumite
    Last year I had a problem with student finance confusing my identity with someone who was studying art at the university of manchester, when I studied psychology in a London university. The problem was resolved after several phone calls, and eventually someone just sorted it for me there and then.

All I can suggest is to keep trying on the phone, it took me about 5 attempts to speak to someone with a brain.

They really are good awful.

Also, if you can't speak to a MP try a local councilor, they may be up for election soon, and be able to give you a bit of help, although an MP might be better.
  • kymbogs
    kymbogs Posts: 538 Forumite
    I have had to contact Darlington complaints a couple of times, I contacted them by e-mail. I was pleasantly surprised to receive an e-mail reply within about a week (which seems efficient for them really!) and once I had an e-mail from a particular person's e-mail address I just continued to correspond with them. I asked for a breakdown of all the income and outgoing information they currently had on file for me so I could check if it was correct, and amended accordingly, which went quite smoothly. The lady in particular I was dealing with allowed me to e-mail her a copy of some evidence which she applied as soon as she received it.

Having said all that they have taken a large chunk of this year's finance off me due to a mix-up with last year's finance which is causing me no end of problems...but at least I know why....
    :heartpulsSpoiling my two baby girls with love - it's free and it's fun!:heartpuls

I'm not very good at succinct. Why say something in 10 words when 100 will do?
  • Well, I have received a reply from a Head of Service at Glasgow but have got nowhere.

I got the set of figures they were applying from Darlington Complaints and pointed out they were wrong, emailing them a copy of a letter from my local council which gave the correct figures.

Glasgow's reply claims their figures were supplied by us as accurate figures after a current year's estimate which they say was used by our council.

The council used our correct accurate figures when they were submitted, adjusting the loan/grant acordingly for our elder son. We don't know where these other figures have come from that SF are usuing for our younger son!

Have replied pointing this out to Glasgow by recorded delivery first class. I'd rather use email but do not have an address for the person at Glasgow. This will slow things down, especially with all the Bank Holdays at the moment.

I have offered to send them all the bank/buiding society statements again.

They have a deadline of Friday 6th as I have arranged to visit my MP then.
  • bernih
    bernih Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Finally. My daughters are to get their grants next week. Hope you have similar luck soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure