Cost of installing gas central heating in 3 bed house?

BettiePage
BettiePage Posts: 4,627 Forumite
Does anyone have a ball park figure of installing gch in a 3 bed 1970's house that has none whatsoever?
In-laws always claimed they didn't need it and used the gas fire in the living room to heat the whole house (!). However, they are now getting on a bit and are starting to really feel the cold.
I know they will balk at the cost, but maybe we could help them out with it. Obviously we have limited resources too.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Comments

• To a certain extent it will vary depending on where you live.The link below may give you a clue.

www.gaswise.co.uk
  • Hi it can cost as much as you want really. But you will be pushed to get it under £1500 then labour on top of that. But really think about where you put rads to cut down on pipe work and try and get boiler close to gas meter, as it will need 22mm copper pipe. When i did mine i did it in JG plastic pipe £40 for 50m real which saved money because cut down a lot on Copper pipe You will still need copper pipe off the boiler and really where you can see looks beter. My radiators are all over sized (you can turn them down but if they to small you never can turn them up) say about £400 to do all the rooms. Combi Boiler can get them say £550 with the flu. then fiittings on top of that rad vavles etc. But they will save on energy bills and you can take old copper tank to scrap yard be amazed what you get for it!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    £4,000 to £5,000 would be a ballpark figure.
  • Find out if they can get help from home heat helpline www.homeheathelpline.org.uk

And check the grant from Warmfront? www.warmfront.co.uk

Good Luck
    Today, my BEST is good enough.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    BettiePage wrote: »
    Does anyone have a ball park figure of installing gch in a 3 bed 1970's house that has none whatsoever?
    In-laws always claimed they didn't need it and used the gas fire in the living room to heat the whole house (!). Obviously we have limited resources too.

Since you are starting from scratch, you are looking at £5,000 easily.

Consider a split air-conditioning unit, wall mounted.
    One outside unit (heat pump), one inside unit, usually wall mounted. Minimum installation hassle, doesn't really disturb the decor. Ball park £1,200 per room. Heating cost on a par with gas, and you get cold for the summer too. No leaking plumbing, no leaking gas, no lifting floor boards. Heat per room, on demand,
    so you only heat the room you want.

With gas prices going up, they may curse you in three years time for ripping their house up for a GCH system they can't afford to run.
  • Hi iam looking for any can of help advice on what i have to do to install gas central heating.I have a 2 bedroom flat and iam the top flat the rest of the flats are connected with gas would be greatful for any advice.Thanks
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    delboy49 wrote: »
    Hi iam looking for any can of help advice on what i have to do to install gas central heating.I have a 2 bedroom flat and iam the top flat the rest of the flats are connected with gas would be greatful for any advice.Thanks

Move probably ;) There's probably a very good reason your top floor flat was not connected to a gas supply.

But get a professional round and seek advice. :)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Electric is going up aswell though. Bad thing about a heat pump is that once it's stop blowing it's cold near enough straight away, at least with rads they cool down slowly so it isn't such a sudden drop. Without looking, I rekon about 3-4k. Valliant boiler about £700, dont skimp a crappy boiler, then if using plastic pipe maybe 2 days labour.

Money helps..you didnt use that speedfit on the gas did you.?
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    delboy49 wrote: »
    Hi iam looking for any can of help advice on what i have to do to install gas central heating.I have a 2 bedroom flat and iam the top flat the rest of the flats are connected with gas would be greatful for any advice.Thanks

Check out the Skyline:

http://www.smiths-env.com/products.asp

Running the pipes in the loft should be easier than lifting the floor boards, and you don't use up wall space.

Ignore the list price. A quick search gives:

http://www.e-tradecounter.co.uk/p-1017-skyline-ceiling-mounted-hydronic-fan-convector.aspx

Actually, the electric only version is worth considering. If you are not in most of the time, the installation and ongoing maintenance for a gas set up may not be worth it. Again, easy install from the loft.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure