PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding...not just on TV

Comments

• Hello suzitiger, good to have you along.
    lostinrates, I really like your kitchen and furniture. The green fabric looks good too. Like alec has said their are lots of us here with an eye for colour and design and I`m sure we could all help you to come to the right decision. I always find that pinning a piece of fabric up helps. That way you can see how it looks in different lights.
    You may remember my first post on this thread mentioned the damaged kitchen floor. We have made a claim on our house insurance for replacement. What a mess the floor is underneath the vinyl. Looks as though a lot of water we weren`t aware of escaped under it during the leak. The inspector from the flooring company is coming out this afternoon. Hope it gets sorted quickly.
    Still have to call out the roofer to get a quote for repairing the hole. Think it must be a missing tile.
    Like others have mentioned I`m really thinking about the things I`m buying now. Questioning whether I really need it, like it or will use/wear it. Also putting the same thought into the Christmas presents I`m buying for others. Like GQ, I`m getting to the point where I really enjoy experiences more than `stuff`.
    I`m not fully cured though because I bought two new knitting patterns yesterday (no wool though) to use up some of my stash.
    Hope everyone has a good day.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 4 December 2012 at 10:44AM
    imataloss wrote: »
    Hello suzitiger, good to have you along.
    lostinrates, I really like your kitchen and furniture. The green fabric looks good too. Like alec has said their are lots of us here with an eye for colour and design and I`m sure we could all help you to come to the right decision. I always find that pinning a piece of fabric up helps. That way you can see how it looks in different lights.

I have lots of these as samples too.

http://www.thesilkroute.co.uk/section.php/262/1/multi_coloured_silks_and_cottons

The very stripey one with gold running through it is the one dh likes but I find too dark and....just not too great, but that I suggested we trim with.

The woven multicoloured are beautiful. I am thinking of one of them for my hallway though.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :hello: Hello and welcome, suzitiger. Good to have you aboard. I'm impressed that you have taken ownership of your stuff from your parents' home and are working through it, and recognising that maybe you have generational tendancies to hoard.

I consider myself someone with tendancies rather than a full-blown hoarder but it could easily get out of hand, I suspect lack of space is a limiting factor. I should add that I am extremely ingenious with space, so if I say I haven't room for X, you can be sure that I've really tried to squash it or something like it, into my home in the past.

At the weekend I was having a little rootle in my clothing drawers and turned some items into the light which I'd frankly forgotten. So I am bringing them into use (some are winter-appropriate) to see if they still fit/ suit my lifestyle.

If they do, they're keepers, if they don't, they're outta here.

I think it's very easy to have a lot more clothes than one person needs. I don't have a very demanding social life, for example, ususally hanging with pals in their homes, maybe a pub night or a movie, not big dressy occasions. Show me an occasion requiring dress-up clothes and I'll show you my back, retreating at speed. I need smart-cas for the office, outdoorsy type stuff for walking or allotmenteering and, apart from loungy stuff for home, that's IT.

So, apart from an "interview" outfit and an emergency LBD, I can shed a few items, and will do so. Those drawers need to be able to be closed easily, preferably this millenium.:o:p

imataloss, so in agreement with the whole less-is-more thing. I've seen stuff proliferate like bunnies in the course of my life (child in the late sixties/ seventies, young adult in the eighties, middle-aged now). Stuff just grows and grows, you don't even have to be affluent to be overwhelmed with possessions, heaven knows I'm not rich.

Whereas experiences are held in your memory and you don't have to dust them, move them when you decorate, move them when you move (yah boo sucks Mr Pickford) and enhance your life and develop your skills. I want more of them and less of the physical stuff.

I have a bunch of flowers on the table beside this desk. They're in a jamjar and look no worse for not being in a vase.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • imataloss wrote: »
    Like GQ, I`m getting to the point where I really enjoy experiences more than `stuff`.
    I`m not fully cured though because I bought two new knitting patterns yesterday (no wool though) to use up some of my stash.

Imataloss - I'm fairly sure that knitting patterns don't count as hoarding, if you're actually going to use them, any more than spinning fibre does...? :D

LiR - I am now suffering from total kitchen envy! What a lovely space to play with. And I do like the green fabric - cosy faded timeless grandeur springs to mind, sort of like a lived-in castle. Have you considered old crochet lace bedspreads for your windows & doors? Might be too chunky, as it's heavier than real vintage lace, but for some reason much less expensive, and also tougher; crochet doesn't unravel nearly as easily & is usually made from stronger thread. I'm in the process of washing & darning a huge one now that's around 100 years old & very beautiful, but only cost me £10 from the elderly great-niece of the original maker, and it's around 10' x 10'. You see them at boot sales from time to time.
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    I agree Thriftwizard, it's almost certainly not a hoardy thing if it's something that is going to be used now or at some definite time in the very near future. A hoardy thing is, imo, something that could be used or has the potential to be useful at some undisclosed point in this life or the next, and all the stuff that's bound up in that (I may never find it again, it's collectable *roll eyes*, no-one I know has one etc).

This is moot of course but is an event where dress up clothing is required not an experience too? I also hate formal events of any kind but they're still experiences, just maybe not enjoyable ones.
  • I'm also getting rid of a small dressing table type mirror from the bedroom that I realised last night I never ever use but have always seen as 'ungettable riddable of' for some reason
    How wierd, I binned one of those on the same day, then got it out again, took the swivel mirror off the base, painted the base and fitted 2 dowels and some hooks and I now have the jewellery display I promised to make for my charity stall!

IOU thanks dear posters - been reading on my phone so haven't been housekeeping

It has been good to read that the sky doesn't fall in if you get rid of smart clothes - I tried on the jacket I keep as my fallback option, and decided "na! if I were to be invited to something posh I'd just po out and buy something cheap and modern" (even the word "modern" sounds dated!)

I am going out tomorrow in red 20+ year old blouse, 25 year old black velvet trousers and 10 year old reindeer antlers - doing a craft stall at an old people's day centre, then will dispose of said items - I haven't fitted the togs for years but now I do I'll wear them once (mainly covered by a Christmas apron) then move on!

Small setback though - opened my toolbox (having diligently rounded up lots of tools and putting them in there), only to find it all awash in liquid rust - big round hole in the carport roof above (guess next door's basketball) - had to ditch most - left with a feeling that in putting them all together I'd put my eggs into one basket :eek:

I sat down with a big jar of white shirt buttons today to merge with my own stash - managed to just keep 2 teeny weeny ones and binned the rest - toyed with CS them but decided they get more than they can sell anyway. Vintage jar, rusty lid, binned.
    eBy successes have been good, keep having to remind myself that it goes dead after Christmas so its now or never
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I really dont understand hoarders. I think it must be [sadly] a mental illness and they need help. Why else would anyone hang on to cheap tat, packaging,newspapers and so on? Its utter trash cluttering up their lives.
    My late MIL hoarded. Utter rubbish, old clothes of her deceased husband were kept old kids toys you name it she filled the house with it. Was miserable and selfish all the time. What a way to live a life.
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    oldtractor wrote: »
    I really dont understand hoarders. I think it must be [sadly] a mental illness and they need help. Why else would anyone hang on to cheap tat, packaging,newspapers and so on? Its utter trash cluttering up their lives.
    My late MIL hoarded. Utter rubbish, old clothes of her deceased husband were kept old kids toys you name it she filled the house with it. Was miserable and selfish all the time. What a way to live a life.

Thanks so much. Yes it is to do with mental illness, I've been working on my mental and physical stuff for 8 years or so. It's always a great morale boost when non-hoarders cheer us on.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I de - Rcharded my plastic box collection yesterday - used as freezer containers. WEnt through the cupboard matching boxes to lids and binned any strays - from old butter containers (so handy for a 1 portion meal) to sturdy lock n locks. Result is a cupboard i can get into without everything avalanching onto my head and still more boxes than I need but at least they all match and can be of some use.

I have a posh frock I bought from TK maxximus a couple of years ago in the sale. I never have and I never will wear it. I really should ebay it.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Ellidee
    Ellidee Posts: 6,216 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    oldtractor wrote: »

De-lurks to say don't judge people until you've walked a mile in their shoes. When Dawna Walter was on tv with her 'Life Laundry' series the people on there had nearly ALWAYS gone through a traumatic event which triggered their hoarding. Usually to do with insecurity, loss of loved ones, etc . It is certainly a very emotive subject.
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. William James
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure