PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    DH and I have sorted the paperwork today. We have files, but have got very lazy about putting items in the files. We had quite a pile to sort. We went through each file and shredded what was no longer required, this was a large shopping bag full of paper. Some went in the recycling bag, some the compost bin. The house feels lighter.
    I also added two pairs of black work trousers to the charity bag. I tried on a very smart black dress and joy of joys it now fits. I've kondoed some weight (low carb/high fat) still a little way to go but the dress stays and will be worn.
    I really need to get on with it this week. It's probably my last full week off before I need to go into school. I also need a day in the kitchen, I like to fill the freezer with homemade ready meals for busy weekdays.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

Polly
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    :) Got the little c-of-d down to the chazzer using my newspaper delivery trolley as it was too heavy to carry in my arms for half a mile without getting major aches and pains. Worked well and am glad to have that gone.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 20 August 2016 at 5:10PM
    I am quite joyful after purchasing 2 new garments in the Sains sale. I bought them a size too small, as an incentive, tried them on just now and the long top for over trousers is perfect, in fact DH said it looked nice as a dress! And the trousers are, drum roll TOO BIG ! I shall take them back and get smaller size. I have to admit that I doubt very much that I would fit in the smaller size from any other shop, but Hey, it's a boost!

I put 2 items of clothing in CS bag yester so feel OK bringing 2 in. Seems that it won't be long before more of the larger clothing can go :D

Also, further cupboard inspiration struck and a minor rearrange brought much better organisation/accessibility.

And a side note for low carb - ers, Sains have ready-made no-sugar Hartleys jelly at 25p/pot, which is half price. I know I could make a large one cheaper but these store at ambient temp so my small fridge is not crammed and they are perfect for portion control. Even if I have one every day that's still only £1.75/ week for desserts

Keep on keeping on :D

M
    PS Well done on the c. o.d /wicker basket exchange GQ :T
    PPS Clootie, what a lovely idea about where to donate tea sets to.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Charly27
    Charly27 Posts: 602
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    pollys wrote: »
    DH and I have sorted the paperwork today. We have files, but have got very lazy about putting items in the files. We had quite a pile to sort. We went through each file and shredded what was no longer required, this was a large shopping bag full of paper. Some went in the recycling bag, some the compost bin. The house feels lighter.
    I also added two pairs of black work trousers to the charity bag. I tried on a very smart black dress and joy of joys it now fits. I've kondoed some weight (low carb/high fat) still a little way to go but the dress stays and will be worn.
    I really need to get on with it this week. It's probably my last full week off before I need to go into school. I also need a day in the kitchen, I like to fill the freezer with homemade ready meals for busy weekdays.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

Polly
    Amazing Polly I only managed a wicker basket of magazines. 4 weren't even opened! Last 2 editions of 'CL' and 2 editions of 'The garden'! Now cancelled sub to the first and no longer a member of RHS so that will no longer come. Will try and read the unopened ones before KMing them. CL always made me feel a little discontented anyway, not really sure why! Sewed loops into hand towels for new ensuite, busy making a cushion cover for a friend's significant BD and a welcome quilt for another friend's baby. All from my stash. Sorry MK I knew the cotton pjs would get used one day. Oops not very KM. Got to stitch as my last week on proper holibobs next week.
    ‘One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things’ said Mole.Cross stitch cafe WIP ‘The Best is yet to come’ Emma Congham & ‘A Year in the Life of’ HSC. TaDa Welcome
  • Charly27
    Forumite
    MMF007 wrote: »
    I am quite joyful after purchasing 2 new garments in the Sains sale. I bought them a size too small, as an incentive, tried them on just now and the long top for over trousers is perfect, in fact DH said it looked nice as a dress! And the trousers are, drum roll TOO BIG ! I shall take them back and get smaller size. I have to admit that I doubt very much that I would fit in the smaller size from any other shop, but Hey, it's a boost!

I put 2 items of clothing in CS bag yester so feel OK bringing 2 in. Seems that it won't be long before more of the larger clothing can go :D

Also, further cupboard inspiration struck and a minor rearrange brought much better organisation/accessibility.

And a side note for low carb - ers, Sains have ready-made no-sugar Hartleys jelly at 25p/pot, which is half price. I know I could make a large one cheaper but these store at ambient temp so my small fridge is not crammed and they are perfect for portion control. Even if I have one every day that's still only £1.75/ week for desserts

Keep on keeping on :D

M
    PS Well done on the c. o.d /wicker basket exchange GQ :T
    PPS Clootie, what a lovely idea about where to donate tea sets to.

Well done on the sale items:beer:
    ‘One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things’ said Mole.Cross stitch cafe WIP ‘The Best is yet to come’ Emma Congham & ‘A Year in the Life of’ HSC. TaDa Welcome
  • Charly27
    Forumite
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Got the little c-of-d down to the chazzer using my newspaper delivery trolley as it was too heavy to carry in my arms for half a mile without getting major aches and pains. Worked well and am glad to have that gone.

Well done hope it wasn't raining, good for your steps count!
    :j:T:A
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I had acquired my Gran's dinner service & it lived in the garage - until I spoke to the local hospice folks & they were more than happy to taken and use it as some of their clients like real china.

Perfect use for something that I wouldn't use & a really good cause but not one I would have immediately thought of.
    That's lovely - I visited a hospice for the first time earlier this year, to see a friend, and I can just imagine something like that being well-used.

Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Charly27
    Forumite
    Just emailed a handbag hospital to quote for my favourite owl handbag to be repaired. It so sparks joy and the thought of it deteriorating any further makes me sad. Should have looked at their online shop first though, not a bag less than 3 figures on there and some for 4! Holy Moly it only cost £25!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Charly27 wrote: »
    Well done hope it wasn't raining, good for your steps count!
    :j:T:A
    :cool: It wasn't done like that from virtue - I just don't have a car these days. Thank goodness for trollies, though.

Took my tosspots bottle carrier shopping bag to my pal's shop and have dragged 6 wine bottles outta there and they are now in the bottle bank. Quite a few more plus a cache of lidless coffee jars (why oh why were they ever kept?). Will take the bag each time I drop in and drag 6 bottles/ jars out each time.

He spontaneously said that there are some things in the cellar which can go to the charity shop, which was unprompted, and which I will follow up on in coming weeks, having spoken to the charity shop and checked that they can sell these particular kinds of items.

Oh, and someone has bought one of the Things and is sticking it on the Bay of E. If it sells, they'll probably buy some more of them.:T

I also staged an intervention at one set of the communal bins at the block as I came back into the neighbourhood with my trolley. I'm not the only meddler who will drag very conspicious recyclables out of the general refuse bin and post them into the recycling bin.

Every little helps, as one of the supermarkets burbled.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I have kondoed a handbag to dd who popped round this afternoon and said her bag was starting to wear away. She looked a bit surprised when I went upstairs and came back with a choice of two handbags.

I cooked some crustless quiches to use up eggs and odds and ends in the fridge and gave dd some to take back. I sorted out the huge COD and tidied through the bedding in there and then put things away in my new slimmer and taller COD in my bedroom. I still have some books and things to sort through in my bedroom which I will try to finish in the morning before doing a quick hoover, dust, mop around and kitchen tidy.

I have not suddenly become mega houseproud but dd's in laws might be popping over in the afternoon for a cup of tea so I need to make an effort.

Hugs to all.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business