MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Comments

• wendz86
    wendz86 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    eek Milly but I wouldn't worry too much those estimates can be wrong. My SIL was told she was having a big baby and he was only 6lb .
  • millysg1
    millysg1 Posts: 532 Forumite
    janed9388 wrote: »
    Milly, are they worried about your high fluids other than baby coming early ? I'm still fretting about mine (despite trying to ignore it!)

The doc mentioned there were 2 things.
    One is early labor, but I knew about that since I was first diagnosed at 28 weeks. They say if I went into labor now they wouldn't be worried.

Second is prolapse of umbilical cord. So ive been reading up about that today and if that happens im not worrying too much. If would mean Ambulance into hospital for C-section, c'est la vie, and in majority of causes it has no effect on baby.

Im not going to worry about something I have zero control over though but just trying to be prepared for if it does, i.e. what should I do and expect.

The docs definitely don't seem worried, and never have since I was diagnosed which helps me not be worried.
  • millysg1
    gayleygoo wrote: »
    Milly my midwife hasn't mentioned it yet either. There is a page in my notes to fill in so I'll probably do that myself if it doesn't get done at my next appointment. You could even just write your own plan on a piece of paper and put it in your notes, just in case you go into labour early. I think it's really only for if you feel particularly strongly about anything, such as pain relief or who you want to be with you if you end up needing a c-section etc.

I hope to be able to use the midwife unit and they are pretty good in there about not doing interventions unless really necessary. Last time, I said I didn't want to be told how dilated I was, the cord wasn't to be cut until it had stopped pulsing, we wanted to find out for ourselves what sex baby was, no syntocin injection unless needed, and BFing after birth. Luckily, this is how the midwife unit does things anyway and it all went to plan :) The regular labour ward was quite the opposite when I had my first baby!

Yes, I think I might just write my own. I have found a form online that I will fill in. Ideally, id like to go in the MW lead unit as they seem to follow a lot of what you said above as standard.
  • millysg1
    I had simple headings including:
    Birth partner my husband and I said to offer him to see baby crowning, cut the cord, announce if boy or girl to me
    Posture/positions for labour - especially important for me with my PGP/SPD. So keeping upright, avoiding lying on back at all if poss, preferred position on all fours etc.
    Pain Relief options - using tens machine, no epidural if poss (esp due to PGP)
    3rd Stage - if labour physiological, then allow time for placenta delivery to be physiological too
    Vit K for baby - injection
    Other - baby to have skin-to-skin with daddy while I am getting any attention (e.g. stitches) or having shower etc. Daddy to dress baby with advice/assistance from midwives.

Great headings, thank you. ill use them as a guide. A couple of things I didn't think off.

I went to an antenatal class at the hospital on Saturday and they explained their standard procedures with included delayed clamping etc.
  • millysg1
    wendz86 wrote: »
    I think midwife discussed around 32-34 weeks here. I would make a note anyway of everything. There is a page in my notes to fill in here. Won't be putting much in mine to be honest apart from trying not to have an epidural. Last time I said I would rather have a water birth etc but unfortunately i didn't get to. Personally I think unless there is stuff you are adamant on it is better to go with the flow and means you will feel less disapointed if things don't go to plan.

I have separate notes I have gone through with consultant about vbac , things like intermittent monitoring and have to go back in a few weeks to discuss what would happen if i get to induction stage but i hope i won't.

I must admit, I have preferences but nothing adamant I want. Im happy to go with the flow and whatever is best for baby. Ideally, less pain relief as possible and no epidural but the future holds what the future holds and you can never say never.

Maybe it is my naivety of first time labor but I do like to think MWs will do what's best for baby and me!

Ill put down my preferences but I have low expectation's so I don't stress about it and then get upset if things don't go to plan!
  • sulphate
    sulphate Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    millysg1 wrote: »
    I must admit, I have preferences but nothing adamant I want. Im happy to go with the flow and whatever is best for baby. Ideally, less pain relief as possible and no epidural but the future holds what the future holds and you can never say never.

Maybe it is my naivety of first time labor but I do like to think MWs will do what's best for baby and me!

Ill put down my preferences but I have low expectation's so I don't stress about it and then get upset if things don't go to plan!

I was the same and think it's important to keep an open mind. I wanted a water birth in the birthing unit and did a lot of the labour in water but had to be transferred to the labour suite in the end.
  • janed9388
    janed9388 Posts: 301 Forumite
    Me too re: re the birth plan, I didn't write one last time and I'm not planning on doing so this time around.

I don't know if that is because I was induced with DD and trusted that they knew what they were doing more than I did. The induction didn't work so I ended up on a drip with a monitor on DD's head as they kept loosing the signal externally. I couldn't move around or go anywhere and then had to have a CS on day 4, so again, very low expectations this time around.

Thanks Milly re: the fluid volume, I feel that everything is OK really but I should have stayed away from Google ! I'm just a bit of a worrier in general so it is bothering me a bit.
  • I mentioned a birth plan to my midwife 2 weeks ago & she said to write it myself, it's not something they do with you. There is an nhs guideline to writing one

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/birth-plan.aspx#close

I think it's best to have it printed on an A4 page with obvious headings so any wishes are easy for the midwife to read.

My hospital does delayed cord clamping by 2-3 minutes but if the situation allows I'd like 5 minutes or until the cord has stopped pulsing so this is something I'll be putting in my plan. It's on my to do list along with many other things! I have now packed most of my hospital bag, there is quite a lot of stuff in it tho! Ah well!!
  • jediquigley
    jediquigley Posts: 601 Forumite
    Oh no gayloo, re the sex, it sounds like they have spoilt your surprise.

We have a scan Friday to check placenta has moved and I am slightly worried we will find out sex as we want it to be a surprise.

Re birthplan, I will be doing one esp because I am hoping for a vaginal birth after c section. In terms of midwfies always doing the best for you and baby I would agree to this to a certain degree but be aware that they follow rules and guild lines and not everyone fits into this and sometimes it is a good idea to question why they are wanting to do things.

The only thing I got on my birth plan with my first was vit k by drops because I was a failed induction with emergency csection. I will write one again though as its good to have things written down, sometimes interventions will be performed without asking you ie sweep etc during a vaginal examination.

Now I want to go back and buy the mint elephant vests! Lol they were yummy.

I have also heard that measuring babies through belly measurement and scan can be inaccurate.
    :jMarried 16/07/2010, ds1 born 11/08/12, baby due 08/05/2015
  • Jedi- can I ask why you wanted vitamin k given by drops instead of injection? Was this linked to your delivery. Sorry I might have got muddled, easily done these days!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure