JSA Hardship payments

Comments

• sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    did they give you a written reason why your money was stopped?
  • jojo30 wrote: »
    Last week the lady at the jobcenter took a dislike to me and said the 8 things a fortnight wasnt enough, even though 6 weeks ago she told me to do the 8 things.
    I had a letter this morning saying i wasn't getting my JSA until they make a decision, it says to read the leaflet on how to apply for payments under the JSA Hardship Provision. There is no leaflet :(
    Could someone point me in the right direction I've looked about online but cant find much about how to apply.

"The lady at the jobcentre" does not decide whether you will be sanctioned or not, that will be a Decision Maker.

Have you applied for a hardship payment? Unless you are in a vulnerable group this will not be made for the first two weeks of your claim.

Have you appealed the sanction, and had you fully complied with your Jobseeking Agreement?
  • sniggings
    My god what is wrong with these people, they stop a claim for any number of reasons these days and a hardship payment is not allowed to be made for 2 weeks :eek:
  • sniggings wrote: »
    My god what is wrong with these people, they stop a claim for any number of reasons these days and a hardship payment is not allowed to be made for 2 weeks :eek:

When sanctions are applied correctly (and it is not clear if that is the case here), they are done so because the claimant has failed to comply with their JSAgreement. If you did the equivalent in work you would be sacked, and receive no money full stop.
  • alex21
    alex21 Posts: 553 Forumite
    no my OH did not mis hear and the guy did it on purpose

I do not dispute you hearing what was said but I am dubious about your ability to read the speakers mind. If you actually can read minds ...........
  • sniggings
    When sanctions are applied correctly (and it is not clear if that is the case here), they are done so because the claimant has failed to comply with their JSAgreement. If you did the equivalent in work you would be sacked, and receive no money full stop.

well first of all |I don't think you will agree that all sanctions are fair, or I hope you wouldn't, we would like to think so but the world does not work that way.

I can only take peoples word for why they were sanctioned, some for being late for a signing on appointment, even the worse employer in the country would not stop someone wages for 2 weeks for that, maybe an hour or a day, or get them to work the missed time but not 2 weeks.
  • missapril75
    missapril75 Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    As a former advisor I can say we had targets for many things, most of them unachievable and outside our control - like how many people turn up to keep appointments! We never had targets about stopping payments - other than a target to get a certain number into jobs and that obviously involves money stopping but for good reasons, not vindictive ones.

I can well believe there are sanction targets now. However....
    McKneff wrote: »
    Praps your OH misheard or someone made a simple mistake.

Very likely.
    no my OH did not mis hear and the guy did it on purpose

Ridiculous. You can't know it was deliberate. Your point about "he must know when his office is open" is naive in the extreme. It's not simply whether the office is open, signing arrangements change for almost everyone at such times, not just those on a particular day. Have you never got "today's" date wrong - 29th instead of 28th for example? That would throw a calculation of next signing date right out. So would misreading the sheet provided affecting a few thousand people's signing changes.
    RILEYBULL wrote: »
    Management have put targets on them to find ANY WAY POSSIBLE to stop or hold up peoples claim.

:rotfl:

Yeah right. What would have happened as a result of giving the wrong info in this example would not have helped any sort of target.

Everyone's time would have been wasted on arguments, checking of records, making a repeat claim, more admin costs, someone else's appointment taken -slowing down their claim and negatively impacting on another target.

As for holding up claims deliberately, what tripe!

There are targets about claim clearance times. You'd have to be pretty bloody stupid to do something that caused you to miss those targets.

Still, some folk will believe anything. Like how you could get a grant for a TV if it had doors as it counted as furniture. :rotfl:

Of course, as in any area of life, there are people who like to make things difficult. That's both sides of the JC desk.
  • sniggings

I can well believe there are sanction targets now.

Why say this then go on to laugh at the thought that a claim could be sanctioned unfairly.
  • missapril75
    missapril75 Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    sniggings wrote: »
    Why say this then go on to laugh at the thought that a claim could be sanctioned unfairly.

I think you should look at the post again.

I laughed at the idea of targets to find any way of stopping or holding up claims for the reasons explained. I didn't laugh at the idea of a target for sanctions.
  • 1940sGal
    1940sGal Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    Orville wrote: »
    To get back on topic.

What is the minimum amount of applications you are meant to show on your booklet op. When you signed on there should have been an agreement.

If it is 4 per week i think you would have good grounds to appeal, and also if i were you i would put in a written complaint about the advisor who stopped your money.

My agreement is minimum 3 per week. Can't speak for OP obviously but that's been standard here for a while. It was the same when sis claimed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure