Cheap car hire article discussion

Options

Comments

• bonytony_2
    bonytony_2 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know a good UK car hire company, I'm visiting family and flying into Manchester this week for 3 weeks, I've had a look but so many hire companies I've never heard of like 121 and argus carhire and I don't want to get ripped off because I cant afford to also I'll be using my Australian licence.
  • deary65
    deary65 Posts: 818 Forumite
    Options
    keypads wrote: »
    5 weeks on, I am still trying to get the damage documentation from the car hire company to send to the third party insurance company so that I can claim the excess following an accident. Communication is very difficult, if non-existent from the car hire company side. Given the problems I am having, I will always take the car hire company excess insurance from now on rather than a cheaper third party policy.

Check your terms and conditions, most give you a month to submit documentation. if you are still having trouble contact these people:

http://www.ecrcs.eu/
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.
  • debtfree1day
    debtfree1day Posts: 382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bumping

Hi, never hired a car abroad before and having read some of the stories on here....I am nervous!

Its hungary for 8 days in July....only be doing about 200-300 miles I think

don't need anything bigger than small car like an 120 or a fiesta or something, but its improtnant we can collect the car from the city centre and then drop it at the Budapest airport

normally, I am a total miser, but I want to reduce fear and sleepless nights, so would rather pay an extra few quid for someone reliable and trustworthy.....guidance appreciated!!
  • jago25_98
    jago25_98 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    Gatwick and Marrakesh. Are 121, Argus, eRentals safe? - or do they make up for cheap rates with little tricks and it's better to pay 20% for Opodo?

I've travelled a lot and car hire is always one of the biggest stress points. Handing over that credit card for an seemingly unlimited potential bill. It takes more trust both ways than I like. But trust you have to - and worry less. That's the attitude.

Pays for research though.
    Companies like Hertz vary massively across the world. I basically find each new country is a new experience. I try to look at who the locals use.

My next search is for cheap but safe companies operating from Gatwick and Marrakesh - any recommendations?

Some things I've seen:
    - always having to raise my voice to see the car before signing. I now let them do this as a sign of good faith... but then won't accept the car if there's a problem
    - car supplied with 1/4 tank (that's OK with me now, know how to deal with it)
    - car supplied with 1/8 off the reported total. Also seen 1/4 less where it's been driven to my place but not filled
    - charges for scratches... and later signing at a different company told not to mark them down
    - wingmirror missing... but no time to refuse and get an alternative car
    - with a analog fuel gauge, it's always full on the dial but actually about £10 off max
    - more likely trouble from europcar, hertz, enterprise and avis when they see a company hire

It's a tough business from the other side of the desk too.
    Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker
  • heidi72
    heidi72 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi

We are looking to hire a car in Italy in September.

We've been looking at car hire websites but all of them require a credit card to make a booking...as we don't have a credit card does anyone know of any companies that will take debit cards? Don't really want to apply for a credit card just for this purpose!

Thanks in advance :-)
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    edited 4 June 2014 at 3:08PM
    Options
    You might be better just getting a card for the hire car payment. Most Companies don't accept debit cards and with reading other threads on hiring in Italy, you may need it.

Have a look at

http://tuscany-toscana.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/what-you-need-to-know-before-renting.html

Just found this, any good?

http://www.avis.co.uk/blog/avis-payment-methods/

It gives a good honest view on what you are letting yourself in for.
    Have driven in lots of countries, but Italy scares me, as well as Paris ! lol
  • vwmadgirl
    vwmadgirl Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I have the same problem as Heidi but in Tenerife .. we are going away in 2 weeks and don't have a credit card and in a DMP so don't like the chances of getting one so does anyone know any companys that will take a debit card happy to take full insurance have enough money sat in the bank to cover any charge they want to take in the event of a claim.

We went to Mallorca a couple of years back and they just made us take full insurance and then let us carry on with the rental with a debit card, but i have emailed Hertz and it's a flat no way without a credit card!!

We are in a Villa in the middle of nowhere so bit !!!!!!ed without one!!

Any help much appreciated :o
  • javajim
    javajim Posts: 146 Forumite
    edited 14 June 2014 at 8:20AM
    Options
    We want to hire a car in Madrid airport in September for six days. There will be four adults, one main driver and maybe another.
    Is it too early to book?
    Having looked at this site it suggests it is better to book early.
    What sites/firms can you recommend.
    Thanks in advance
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 June 2014 at 4:32PM
    Options
    http:// http://www.fireflycarrental.gr/en/general-terms-and-conditions/
    I booked with holiday autos, the vehicle came from a company called firefly which is a hertz franchise, older Hyundai i20 with 71000km, I guess its hertz trying to compete at the lower end. I booked full to full but still had to argue at the desk that it was included in the booking and that I did not have to leave a fuel deposit. I was more surprised that according to the terms you have to pay extra for vehicle theft protection and you do not get breakdown cover, I was told 25euro for a call out or pay 6 euro now(5euro +23% vat=6.15) so tempting to leave the car at the end of the rental somewhere, forcing them to pick it up. So when comparing prices check it comes with theft and breakdown cover.
  • keypads
    keypads Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    keypads wrote: »
    Hello. Well I took out excess car hire insurance through a third party before I hired a car from Geneva Airport, and then the worst happened - I managed to prang the car in the car park when returning the car. The car hire company charged me the 2000 SF excess o n my credit card. I am now trying to claim on the insurance. The insurance company want a damage form and the repair invoice from the hire car company. As this was an accident with an international hire car company (Thrifty) does anyone know whether I should contact the Geneva Airport office (which doesn't seem to have a contact) or the main office (which appears to be in the US!). I have tried emails and a completed a form, but haven't managed to get an answer from the hire car company. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

It is now 9 weeks on and I am still trying to get documentation from the hire car company (it was a Thrifty car but they have told me to go to Hertz for the documentation) to send to the insurance company following an accident in a hire car. Following earlier advice I contacted the European Car Rental Conciliation Service (ECRCS) but they can't help as the car was rented from Geneva Airport, Switzerland, and therefore not in the EU.

The excess insurance (I purchased from worldwideinsure) seems totally useless unless the accident documentation is supplied by the hire car company, but their customer services have either not responded or have referred me elsewhere which has ended up in another black hole.

Has anyone ever successfully claimed on hire car excess insurance for a car hired in Europe? At the moment it looks like I've taken out hire car excess insurance which is impossible to claim against when I need to.

Any advice on how to successfully claim on excess insurance would be gratefully received. Thanks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback