Visa/Mastercard Chargeback article discussion

Options

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chargeback only applies to payments made by credit or debit card. Try starting a new post, you'll get more replies, although there's not much more to advise really.
  • scottish_mouse
    Options
    I bought two rugs earlier this year that are faulty (for anyone interested in the details...the rugs shrank and the dye ran when washed, despite following the washing instructions exactly; I bought them specifically because they could be washed), and am not having any luck getting a refund from the retailer, so would like to pursue a chargeback. However, I paid for the rugs using Paypal, funded by my Visa credit card. Also, each rug was a separate transaction of £80.50. My understanding is that section 75 only applies to transactions over £100, and that chargeback only applies to debit card transactions. I also believe that Paypal claims must be made within 45 days, and that time has now passed (firstly, as I've been emailing the retailer about the problem with no luck for over 7 weeks now, and secondly, because I only became aware of the fault some time after having the rugs).
    Does anyone know if there is any route open to make a claim for my faulty purchases?
    Thanks!!
  • 3card
    3card Posts: 437 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi All

I have just heard about this 'chargeback' system and i have a question

Does the chargeback route only apply to goods?
    The reason i ask is that I bought some tickets for my wifes birthday to a show and upon arrival we were shown to our seats and to say we had a restricted view would be an understatement.
    The event was a ice skating show and we couldnt see all of the ice rink and there was also a stage where celebrities would appear to entertain and also for interviews and we couldnt see that either (along with a large screen at the back of the stage)

The tickets were approx £80 so section 75 isnt an option so i am considering a chargeback if the ticket promoter doesnt reply to my complaints

I would appreciate any replies as to whether ticket sales are covered

TIA

Mick
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Options
    There is no chargeback that covers this type of scenario. If you bought specific seats and were given different ones, then your card issuer should be able to help in that case.
  • Eagle48
    Eagle48 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Is my visa debit card of any use in getting money refunded due to medical need to cancel trip paid for my card?
  • Martint
    Martint Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Just seen that Modelzone has gone into administration but is still accepting vouchers at 50% of their face value. Will ask Santander (Visa card) for 50% of value as a chargeback and let people know how I get on.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I might need this article if MusicGlue decide they don't want to honour the DSR's right of cancellation.
  • marko4ever25
    marko4ever25 Posts: 637 Forumite
    Options
    does anyone have the email address for DEBIT card disputes for Halifax/lylods
  • Deb1_2
    Deb1_2 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Hi

I'm looking for any help possible for this one on behalf of my mum. She bought a garden shed from a company called Garden Bargains in England in March last year. When the shed arrived, she noticed that there were big gaps in it when it was being built making it unfit for purpose. My mum's a pensioner and had to pay someone to build it so that's money she's lost right away. She contacted the company who told her to send the shed back and she'd be reimbursed, however, she was told she would have to pay for the courier to return it and would get the money back later from Garden Bargains.

My mum hired a courier who gave her a receipt for uplift of the shed. When she contacted Garden Bargains later to query her refund, they said they had never received the shed. The courier said he had never received a receipt for the shed which he is adamant that he delivered. He gave the registration mark of his vehicle and delivery date and time. My mum contacted the company who can find no trace of the shed. They checked their CCTV and found no trace of this vehicle either and claim the only entrance for deliveries is covered by CCTV.

My mum took the courier to the small claims court and it was found in her favour. She also had to hire sheriff's officers to serve the courier with a notice to get her money back. She has not received a single penny and has lost so much money. I read somewhere recently of the chargeback scheme as she had paid for the shed on her debit card. My mum approached her bank to make use of this scheme but they said it didn't apply to her.

It seems to me that everyone is getting away with this one apart from my mum who is now down hundreds of pounds. Surely the company must be held accountable as they wrongly advised her to return the goods at her own cost? They have admitted that they advised her in error.

I really would appreciate any help at all with this one as it's grossly unfair and as I mentioned earlier she is a pensioner with very little money to spare! Thanks.
  • loopyloosy
    Options
    I booked a hotel with lastminute.com on their mobile website.

Huge mistake.

The details defaulted to the hotel stay to be on the same day I booked it, so I called them to change. The guy booked the hotel for me on the right day, then passed me to Customer Services who refused to refund me!

I phoned the hotel who couldn't help as they said the money is with lastminute.com so any refund would have to come from them.

So essentially, I've paid twice for a booking I'm not using tonight, and unless they manage to find the recording where the guy said he would refund me, they won't give it back!

Could I reclaim this using the Visa Chargeback thing under multiple transactions?

Thanks,
    loopy is as loopy does :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport