health and safety issue?

Comments

• worried123
    worried123 Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 July 2017 at 4:02PM
    Thanks - terrible isnt it.....

I am employed by them...we have core workers...waged and those working freelance...its out of choice.....even HMRC consider them my employer. I am `employed`by them every time i work for them....i sign an electronc contract of employment before i start each job..
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    An increasing number of deliveries arrive with someone armed with a tablet, smartphone or similar small device. Would you be happy using one of them?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • worried123
    edited 18 July 2017 at 1:57PM
    These people are not carrying them coding in information at every single door for 6 hours - ours are laptop size as well...its too intrusive...they go to the door and back in their van and dont have to carry an umbrella when it rains as well....
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Does it cheer you up at all to know that you have cheered me up? I am struggling with PRINCE2 project management ATM - the most boring course I have ever done. Your predicament made me think about breaking your task down into work packages..... perhaps this boring course is having a good effect after all! :D
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    I'd recommend thinking of process changes which would benefit the employer, which co-incidentally benefit you :-

Is the laptop encrypted, or are you carrying around the personal data of hundreds of people which would be at risk if it were stolen ? Is the laptop IP rated, or is it exposed to risk of damage when keying in the information while standing in the street ? Is it rated to survive a drop from 1 metre onto concrete ?

From the amount of data being processed, it seems to me that a modest smartphone would do the job :
    1) The data ( certainly the "no-one home" ) could be texted real-time to the employer's e-mail address
    2) Each text would tell the company where you are = H & S benefit - "lone worker" concerns
    3) Many can act as a tracking device / personal alarm ; including an "electronic fence" giving an alert if they go outside a patch.
    4) A 3G-connected device can be remotely wiped
    A small tablet would work, if the screen needs to be bigger.

If the data entry is too complicated ; write it on a notepad, then send a photo to your account and a company e-mail address. That gives them a chance to follow up any findings, almost immediately.

As a parallel, many delivery companies have a tablet for your signature.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Can your company not consider using a tablet instead of a laptop, that'd be a little lighter and easier for you to use?

Meter readers use small data capture devices (similar to what some delivery drivers and supermarkets use), much easier to handle for long periods than even a tablet, but perhaps you need to record too much information in interviews for these. But they routinely carry them about for hours on end in all weathers!
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    ohreally wrote: »
    Its relevant.

The Lofstedt review states
    From this, the HSE estimate that H&S law will no longer apply to around 2 million individuals in the workplace.
    It's also relevant because if you aren't an employee with two years service you can be dismissed at the drop of a hat... for example, for doing something like telling your "employer" that you don't intend to follow their processes. To right to unfair dismissal, no redundancy... no nothing.

The OP appears to confuse reality with what they want to hear. There was only one question in the OP - "Can they insist that i do this please". The answer is still yes, even if the OP doesn't like that answer.
  • worried123
    sangie595 wrote: »
    It's also relevant because if you aren't an employee with two years service you can be dismissed at the drop of a hat... for example, for doing something like telling your "employer" that you don't intend to follow their processes. To right to unfair dismissal, no redundancy... no nothing.

The OP appears to confuse reality with what they want to hear. There was only one question in the OP - "Can they insist that i do this please". The answer is still yes, even if the OP doesn't like that answer.

If you read my post you would see that i have been `employed` by them for over 20 years. They pay my national insurance and deduct tax and i have my pension with them. I also stated that i sign an electronic contract of employment with them before starting any job for them...they pay me statutory sick pay. My tax forms state they are my employer.....
    when i broke my wrist slipping on ice working for them they rang me regularly every week to ask about my treatment etc...THEY ARE MY EMPLOYER AND THEY ARE RESPONISBLE FOR MY HEALTH AND SAFETY WHILST WORKING FOR THEM.

That is the REALITY that you talk about...however...this was never an issue ........was not part of my question and is not in dispute and certainly i didnt post on here to be subjected to having to defend everything i say to you.....

i have been given some good advice on here that i will follow and i think that my company who unlike yourself who must work for the prison service or something will very likely accept...you are a bundle of help and joy.
  • worried123
    worried123 wrote: »
    These people are not carrying them coding in information at every single door for 6 hours - ours are laptop size as well...its too intrusive...they go to the door and back in their van and dont have to carry an umbrella when it rains as well....

you know what....forget about it

sorry savi sue....my reply was a bit defensive as i thought that perhaps you were in sangies camp...sorry - it was only a suggestion from you.....There are thousands of interviewers and we all have the same machines...work is downloaded and uploaded from the machine...it wouldn't be possible to use anything smaller
  • worried123
    I haven't been on this forum for too long, but I've come across Sangie before....

You aren't the first person to say "maybe you actually work for them" to Sangie :p

I'm beginning to think that either Sangie has a wealth of experience in dealing with employee queries (union/tribunal work?) or that they have about 5 jobs on the go at once :p

Thank you force awakens...i was beginning to think it was just me
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport