PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chazzers - do you budget?

Comments

• honeythewitch
    honeythewitch Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have developed a new rule this year - one in, one out. I am only allowed to buy something if I am prepared to get rid of something in the same category. So, for example, a tee shirt in blue developed a hole right in the middle of the front where it was impossible to mend without it showing (due to the nature of the material and a patch would have just looked silly there!) So next round of pottering with a friend round charity shops I kept my eye out for a blue tee shirt. Having found one the holey one went to the rag box. Since most of my ornaments are presents from friends or memories of places past I wont be buying any of them; I have enough crockery so I wont be buying that; I wont be buying books cos I have a stack of some 20 odd that I am finishing and then donating to my local chazzer...... I live a very contented life with enough stuff - one in one out! I dont need more! Now if only I could apply that to the pounds of fat around my waist :-)

I only wish I had the discipline to do the same :D
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    LameWolf wrote: »
    I always go to the one where they don't look down the side of their nose at me, whether looking to buy or donating.

Really?
    Do volunteers do that in the shops you go in?
    That's shocking - and I'd put them right on that. In a very loud voice.
    They are there to serve customers and make money for the charity.
  • Pollycat
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Looking at this, the economist in me says go ahead and buy two for £7 and arrange them skillfully - perhaps with other existing items - rather than one for £24.47.

But then its easy for me to rationalise as this item doesn't push my buttons ;)
    Hmmm.

That makes sense but he wouldn't want 2 on his desk and if it's for a gift and I know he would really appreciate it, I don't think short of £25 is too bad.
    I saw a tall one in a local jewellers the same day as I saw the ones in the Hospice shop and it did look impressive. I think that's what made me glad that I hadn't bought either of the 2.

So I'll keep on looking for the time being. :)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Re - Galileo thermometers. I've previously bought my teenage son and nephew one as a stocking filler. I got them in B & M. As they've now broken unsure how many balls were in them, but I think I'll have paid under £10. I'd be tempted to check there if you have one first if the charity shop doesn't come up with one, to see if it's what you're looking for before spending just under £25 on one, which to me also seems expensive. B & M tend to get them in with their christmas stock, so around September-ish time. I wouldn't want to have 2 taking up desk space either,

There's a charity shop in my town centre that sorts by colour too. I find it handy because most of the time the clothing is for a costume for my DD's drama productions, so I know what colour I'm looking for. I can't for the life of me remember which charity. I tend to mostly know where the chazzas are but not which charity they support. :o I didn't know Oxfam also sorted by colour but I was pretty sure the one in my town shut down some time ago, a google tells me it's moved to a village on the outskirts, not far from where I work, and it's in an affluent area so once I go back to my usual finish time I'm going to call in.

My Age concern CS is situated in a old building that has an attic and that's where the £1 clothes are.

Sue Ryder has almost every item for £2. There's the odd exception for certain items, I think bags and footwear, but most clothing is £2.

BHF has the collectable book shelves and where I'm picking up the classic books again for DD and some I read as a child too. :o Though with no price tag on it, I picked up Jo's boys the other week, expecting it to cost £1 or so, like Little Women had a few weeks earlier, and thought the £3 cost was on the pricery side. I haven't looked but I thought I might have been able to get it cheaper on ebay/amazon. Lesson learned, next time I ask the price.
  • Pollycat
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Looking at this, the economist in me says go ahead and buy two for £7 and arrange them skillfully - perhaps with other existing items - rather than one for £24.47.

But then its easy for me to rationalise as this item doesn't push my buttons ;)
    Spendless wrote: »
    Re - Galileo thermometers. I've previously bought my teenage son and nephew one as a stocking filler. I got them in B & M. As they've now broken unsure how many balls were in them, but I think I'll have paid under £10. I'd be tempted to check there if you have one first if the charity shop doesn't come up with one, to see if it's what you're looking for before spending just under £25 on one, which to me also seems expensive. B & M tend to get them in with their christmas stock, so around September-ish time. I wouldn't want to have 2 taking up desk space either,
    I'm talking about a gift for Christmas for someone who has a wardrobe full of coats, jackets, shirts, trousers and shoes and buys computer hardware upgrades (his hobby) whenever he likes.
    I'm talking about buying something for someone that I know would appreciate it.

We are not short of money.

The one I've seen is 18" high, the ones in the charity shop were probably 10" high.

I will look in B&M and probably Home Bargains (so thanks for the suggestion) but if I'm buying one at all, I want to buy quality.
    I'm not prepared to buy something cheap for the sake of buying it.
    If that's what I wanted I'd have bought the one for £3.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Really?
    Do volunteers do that in the shops you go in?
    That's shocking - and I'd put them right on that. In a very loud voice.
    They are there to serve customers and make money for the charity.
    They did it in a shop I don't go in any more!! ;)
    I went there twice - once when I first moved in with Mr LW and had a load of stuff from my "former" life to get rid of - including my wedding dress; they were quite snooty, but I let it pass.
    I went in a second time a few months later just for a nosey, and they were snooty then, too - and I left without purchasing anything.

So now I only visit the branch in the other town. Same charity, different attitude - in fact this second lot were thrilled when Mr LW and I donated a surplus-to-requirements dinner set, and later very excitedly told me they'd made a very decent amount selling it to a lady who wanted a lot of spare china as she held dinner parties regularly.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Spendless
    I'm talking about a gift for Christmas for someone who has a wardrobe full of coats, jackets, shirts, trousers and shoes and buys computer hardware upgrades (his hobby) whenever he likes.

The one I've seen is 18" high, the ones in the charity shop were probably 10" high.

I will look in B&M and probably Home Bargains (so thanks for the suggestion) but if I'm buying one at all, I want to buy quality.
    I totally understand what you're saying but for me I have a total cost in my head of a max price I'm prepared to pay for any item, regardless of whether I have plenty of money. The thermometer to me is a stocking filler type present and 'not worth' around £25. It's not something I'd associate with quality either. They sit there with balls going up and down and are pretty to look at if that's what you like and if you knock them off they break, but I hope you find one you like. :)
  • Spendless
    I went to the CS this morning. First I hit the shop with the classic book section and I found the book that DD's new speech teacher has said she needs. However because she needed it several lessons ago, we already bought it from ebay and for cheaper, but I got this copy too as an emergency back up. It showed me how if you are after something specific you've got to allow enough time for it to appear.

DD was with me. I posted either on here or the other thread that last week she moaned like mad about being in a chazza till she saw a Jack Wills mug, this week she looked through the non clothing items and also the clothing rails in hope of a designer brand. None were found, but I thought she'd got over her aversion to charity shops. Not so. I wanted a long skirt for her for her next drama production of Les Mis and that shop didn't have anything, so along to the Sue Ryder place. They did have something suitable for DD. However she reverted back to moaning, this time that the shop smelt and was I sure no-one had died in the skirt. :eek::rotfl: For all her moaning she still wandered into the non clothing area and came back with a 'designer pencil case' a pineapple brand one.

The drama school has sent out the costume list this morning, some things they mention hiring, some buying. I am pleased with the £2 skirt and intend adding bits we already have in, for the characters she is and seeing how low a budget I can stick to for this production.
  • honeythewitch
    honeythewitch Posts: 1,094 Forumite

i agree,Pollycat. If something brings you (or the recipient) pleasure every time you see it or use it then it is well worth the money.
    Something that isn't quite right is waste.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    LameWolf wrote: »
    They did it in a shop I don't go in any more!! ;)
    I went there twice - once when I first moved in with Mr LW and had a load of stuff from my "former" life to get rid of - including my wedding dress; they were quite snooty, but I let it pass.
    I went in a second time a few months later just for a nosey, and they were snooty then, too - and I left without purchasing anything.
    I would have complained verbally at the time and pointedly taken the donation elsewhere. And then if I still felt slighted after 25 hours would complain directly to the Head Office.

The attitude you describe does the charity a huge disservice and if I was in a leadership position I would want to know about it, volunteer or not.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure