Upgrading bank account

Options
I have a FlexBasic account with Nationwide (my wife banks with them, but we couldn't do the £100 referral fee thing). I want to upgrade this to a FlexDirect account. Would this show up on my credit file negatively if I did upgrade?

Also, I assume that I couldn't simply open a new account as part of a referral from my wife, as I am already a customer?

Thanks.

Comments

• phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 May 2017 at 1:05PM
    Options
    I have a FlexBasic account with Nationwide (my wife banks with them, but we couldn't do the £100 referral fee thing). I want to upgrade this to a FlexDirect account. Would this show up on my credit file negatively if I did upgrade?

I can't see anything on my credit file from nationwide when I switched my flex account to a flex direct. The account opening date didn't change. I opened it as a flex direct, switched it to a flex account for a year and then back to a flex direct (to get 5%).
    Also, I assume that I couldn't simply open a new account as part of a referral from my wife, as I am already a customer?

I think that is a safe assumption.
  • Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Thanks.

If you upgrade your basic account to a regular account they will almost certainly carry out a credit check which will show on your credit file. Its not negative as such, just a record that this happened.

I don't know about the £100 referral though.
  • stuart30
    stuart30 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Options
    Don80 wrote: »
    If you upgrade your basic account to a regular account they will almost certainly carry out a credit check which will show on your credit file. Its not negative as such, just a record that this happened.

I don't know about the £100 referral though.

No i asked will they credit check as i was under the assumption my credit file was very poor.

Answer was your credited checked when you open the account..if in future you upgrade they don't credit check.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They will make an assessment as to whether they are happy to give you more than a FlexBasic. This may involve a credit check.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you have internet banking (with Nationwide) and if so, is it offering you an upgrade?
  • TheDebtinator
    Options
    Thanks all.

I do have internet banking, but nothing says about an upgrade. I opened the account when my credit worthiness was on the poor side. Having now obtained a mortgage I guess I am more worthy lol.

I will have to ask them I guess. I don't want another check on my file so soon after getting my mortgage. I will wait until after Friday anyway as that is my completion date.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 May 2017 at 1:48PM
    Options

Thanks.

Just to add if you are already a customer then you could upgrade your account to a Flexdirect (or even open a new one) then refer your wife and when she switches you get £100 each .

She can then refer you and you can switch to your Flexdirect account and get another £100 each.

This is stated here on their website:

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/our-current-accounts/recommend-a-friend-tab#xtab:can-i-recommend-someone-who-already-has-a-nationwide-current-account
    phillw wrote: »
    I think that is a safe assumption.

You should never assume, always read the T&C's
  • TheDebtinator
    TheDebtinator Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    Just to add if you are already a customer then you could upgrade your account to a Flexdirect (or even open a new one) then refer your wife and when she switches you get £100 each .

She can then refer you and you can switch to your Flexdirect account and get another £100 each.

This is stated here on their website:

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/our-current-accounts/recommend-a-friend-tab#xtab:can-i-recommend-someone-who-already-has-a-nationwide-current-account

You should never assume, always read the T&C's

Perfect. I have an account with the Co-Op as well so I may move that over.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure