PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• dragonette
    dragonette Posts: 879 Forumite
    evening all,

I've been to busy to post! I spent sat afternoon helping my ex clear out things in his flat in prep for the bathroom being redone. Its almost a miracle that this involved actually getting rid of things, not very much but it is a huge step for him to dispose of things. Indeed it went easier and was much cleaner than I expected!

Still slowing plodding away at home too, unsubscribed from some catalogues so hopefully that will be less paper wastage. I'm loving how easy to keep tidy everything is, It is both bewildering and wonderful :D
    :AStarting again on my own this time!! - Defective flylady! :A
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Not much kondo-ing happening here, busy outdoors and today was a bit hectic with paid work. Never got time to ask DH about going through his mug stash but he announced on Saturday that he is feeling fed up and bored. I am taking him out to a lovely NT garden tomorrow (although weather forecast is not so good.....) and hopefully he'll chat about how we can change this situ. Unfortunately, and to me, unbelievably, he is badly affected by his footie team having a very poor season ......I can't change that!
    Perhaps it is a good time to tell him I have booked a weekend away to celebrate our a anniversary at the end of the month :)

On a more positive note, I did Kondo 5 lbs :D Has anyone else found that the KM Magic seems to improve one's willpower??

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Not really kondoed anything today but house is starting to seem easier to keep clean in some areas. My wardrobe is now filled with slimline black velvet coat hangers so I have another carrier of hangers to go to the Ts recycling bin.
    Had a lovely day at work and put the finishing touches to the veg bed after work, the support net is now on the arch. All non iron stuff is put away.

Watching marcella now
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Not much kondo-ing happening here, busy outdoors and today was a bit hectic with paid work. Never got time to ask DH about going through his mug stash...

When I moved in with my DH and combined 2 3-bed homes, we put groups of stuff onto the dining table to review and decide together what we preferred & was worth keeping (some stuff was worn out & replaced). It was a sort of 2006 Kondo exercise which worked, as it made us both acknowledge that we had too much stuff for the available space and made us compromise on what was kept or donated. The local charity shops must have made a fortune!

Would that approach work?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • mrs-moneypenny
    edited 10 May 2016 at 7:32AM
    Morning all
    Hope everyone is as well as can be, hugs and coping vibes to those who need them.
    Only in work for a couple of hours today but have some ironing and mending plus a box of receipts etc to see which I can shred. Some paperwork needs doing so it can be sent back. And I could do with nipping round mils to do her cleaning.
    It rained overnight but I don't think it was enough to escape watering duty today so will do that later.

Have a joyful day all.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I managed to move some stuff back into the bedroom, but the rug is still slightly damp. Plan for today (between work) is to make the bed and work out where the stuff I don't want to move back in there is going to go!

Dining room needs to be partly cleared and dust sheeted for Friday, when they will be taking up floorboards in the room above. By Monday it needs to be pretty much clear as the plumbing and electrics will be dropped down. This means moving a LOT of annoying small stuff - and working out what is going to be swapped between the kitchen and dining room...

However, the end is (just) in sight!
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I was looking in the photos drawer this morning as I was trying to find the answer to a question (which I didn't find), but fished out 5 packets of photos whilst there. One of a couple's wedding we attended who divorced a couple of years later. Some motor racing photos which haven't been looked at since they were developed in 2001 and 3 packets of truly awful shots from our wedding reception. They were from disposable cameras left on the tables, not one decent photo amongst them. Have kept a couple of 2 friends which aren't great, but I want to check first in our wedding album that I have nicer shots of them before I chuck.

Shredded photo of annoying relative, a couple of school photos of and acquaintances son I haven't seen in 20+ years, plus a photo of an unknown baby! These were easy targets lying loose in the drawer. It looks a bit of a trial when I get to that category though.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    All this talk is making me glad I got rid of my rugs, one less thing to clean.;) They attracted so much pet fur that I thought I would just have bare floors.

Old tea towels used as cleaning rags or sent to clothng recycling. I found some more clothes to kondo in my DH's wardrobe, with his permission of course. They are picking up the bag tomorrow so I will have one last scout around to see if I can find anything else.

I cleared out some stuff from beneath the kitchen sink, I decided not to buy the extra dry food for my dogs so the rest of that will be used up within the next week or two. It's looking very uncluttered and tidy in there.:)
  • mrs-moneypenny
    edited 10 May 2016 at 9:36AM
    Slinky a few of my photos have just hit the shredder, dd3 went through a stage of turning away every time a camera was produced so I had a whole summer hols worth of her hair swishing or the back of her head, I don't think my lovely younger brother who is now in his 30s would thank me for showing a photo of him with a pair of y-fronts on his head while looking through a leg hole! (He was much younger at the time it was taken) And a couple of rather dodgy looking photos of me and Dh in our courting days have now gone. Main question is why I had saved them for so long!
    Paper shredding done, weekend mags and papers recycled, some of the post dealt with, phone number found for mil to book a boiler service, and I have some glass to throw in the bottle bank on the way to do mils cleaning.
    Feels like a productive morning so far.

Whilst cleaning the drive and garage at the weekend found 3 storage boxes and 5 carrier bags Dh had cleaning rags saved in! They are being gone through and taken to dd1s workplace at the weekend she will use them up much quicker than he will.
    SPC~12 ot 124

• kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 May 2016 at 9:32AM
    Morning

I list something on eby that I have no use for what so ever and it is taking up a lot of space, it has had 145 views ! and currently has 9 watchers, all I need is one of those watches to makde a bid, and it is gone with more free space for me. No idea why I never listed this thing before.

I was given by my brother all my late mothers photos and there were loads, so I scanned them all, back them up twice, and sent them back to him :rotfl: I then loaded them on to photobucket, and gave my SIL the password so any one in the family can have access to them if they want...........
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills