Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You are not alone in feeling overwhelmed.x
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    newgirly wrote: »
    Good to see you cath, best of luck for the new year :D

Thanks Newgirly, you too. I always feel more focused and involved when I am posting.
    Alchemilla wrote: »
    You are not alone in feeling overwhelmed.x

Thank you, I really like your 5 things to be grateful for points, they help you gain perspective don't they. :)

Well, returns done so £17ish back to food budget and 3 sale items returned. Up to now am having a NSD! I did spot a beautiful, drastically reduced unit in n£xt but purchases like that can wait until the children stop drawing on things and cluttering up the place ;).
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • yukkibear
    yukkibear Posts: 5,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    CathT wrote: »
    Hi YB, January is definitely a month of planning. Here are my goals:

• Try and get January nursery bill under £700 by DH using AL and roping in grandparents! - ouch £700
    • Clear OD
    • Do not increase debt!
    • Get car window fixed (unbudgeted)
    • Have a wine free month (money and calorie saving!) I'm with you on this one, we can encourage each other
    • Submit 2 assignments (as yet not finished)

Good list. I think it's a good idea to break it down into chunks of months rather than the whole year
  • CathT
    yukkibear wrote: »
    Good list. I think it's a good idea to break it down into chunks of months rather than the whole year

Absolutely, I'll be back on the wine in February! :D
    About to make a fridge bottom soup, really need to get some meals in the freezer in preparation for a busy January

Food/Petrol spends stand at £50 so far.
  • CathT
    Well it's 2014 already! This year will hopefully be a good one, we celebrate 10 years of marriage, have our first family holiday and I qualify in my new role! It should be quite a year! :j

Not starting out exactly as planned as didn't get through much fizz last night as children were unsettled and evening was cut very short so will indulge in a glass shortly (goodbye wine free January - but I won't buy any!) :D However, due to not leaving the house have had a NSD, made a few meals for the freezer yesterday and meal planned for the week. Will need to do a top up shop on Friday but am making a list and sticking to it. I can't see us needing to spend more than £20. It's constantly buying fruit that bumps it up but I like that the children happily eat so much of it, just wish it didn't cost so much when they easily eat 3 pieces each per day if not more.
  • CathT
    Well my rough budget of £20 was doubled! I didn't price my list but obviously underestimated! I did however buy a couple of things not on the list. Hopefully this will balance out via the meal plan as DH not feeling well so not eaten this evening and as he's unwell I've been too busy to eat so we can have our meals tomorrow.

Food/petrol spends now £104.50

Nothing else to report apart from trying to declutter and 'thinking' about ebaying. :D
  • CathT
    Just updating food spends, bought bread and coffee today so total now £111.30

Did make a huge stew though so that will feed us for the weekend with some to freeze. Also made a soup that will provide work lunches for the week. Plan to declutter the rest of the wine this evening and possibly a few chocolates :D
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Sounds like a great year for your family this year, Cath!

Sat night decluttering of wine and chocs is just perfect! :) xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • CathT
    edited 5 January 2014 at 2:03PM
    Thanks Greent :D There's enough left for a final declutter next weekend.

Need to have a constructive day today so the plan is:

• 'practically' finish assignment. Have 1000 words to go before tweaking it!
    • do a small shop, milk, butter and fruit to last the week
    • make a pork recipe (pork defrosting) but it can be cooked later to be used as meals during the week.
    • catch up on laundry (I hate putting it away!)
    • Return item bought yesterday but try and buy another work outfit. There's a lot to be said for wearing a uniform, far cheaper!
    • Arrange car repairs for tomorrow
    I think that's enough to be getting on with so I best make a start! :)

Small food shop done and put petrol in so editing to update spends £141.82
  • CathT
    Update of food and petrol spends needed - £189.02 with 2 weeks left until payday. I did buy wine today though but it's needed! Having a brilliant but exhausting week and need some relaxation.

More meal planning needed too as a week goes so fast! Planning for a month seems like hard work though and a of preparation!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback