Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Comments

• Risnog
    Risnog Posts: 19 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Vauban wrote: »
    Not if easyJet say they were told to present themselves at the gate and they didn't.

We weren't told to "present ourselves". We were told to wait near the gate and we would be informed of any available seats.
  • Risnog
    Risnog Posts: 19 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Whether you believe something or not you must always find out outright what you must do. I am sorry for your circumstances, but I would have been bugging them every 5 minutes to get on the aircraft!

This is why I called up easyjet customer services initially- for clarity. But it all seemed so chaotic, staff were telling us contradictory things. The phone staff didn't understand the airport staff. Just a mess. So I figured, just do what we've been told, don't bug anymore staff to add to confusion!
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Any further discussion, please place on Easyjet thread.
    Download Vauban's super duper guide and decided how you wish to go forward.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • symphony63
    symphony63 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Got the following message today from EJ
    As regards the claim for compensation under EC261/2004, I have checked the Flight Disruption Report for flight EZY2086 on 17 November 2016. On the previous sector operated by the aircraft there was a medical emergency, which resulted in the flight being diverted.
    This had a knock on effect on the flight from Tel Aviv, in that the crew would be over their operating hours before flight EZY2086 reached Luton. The flight was therefore diverted to Milan Malpensa in order that a replacement crew could continue the flight to Luton.
    The primary cause of the delay was due to a medical emergency, which is an extraordinary circumstance, and as such no compensation is due under EC261/2004. Please be assured that easyJet will always pay compensation where due.

Is this the typical knock on effect? If yes, what do I reply?
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    symphony63 wrote: »
    Got the following message today from EJ

Is this the typical knock on effect? If yes, what do I reply?

If I understand this correctly EJ are stating that the flight from Luton to Tel Aviv had to divert to Italy because the flight crew were about to go 'out of hours'.

They were going out of hours because the previous flight to that, which they had operated, had a medical emergency which caused a delay. This flight would have been inbound to Luton, if what they say is correct. At the time of the medical emergency EJ operations department would have known the flight crew could not operate the Tel Aviv flight due to the flying hours restrictions.

However, this means that the same flight crew were scheduled to operate the long flight from Luton to Tel Aviv in the full knowledge that they could not arrive without a change of crew somewhere en route. Therefore an operational decision.

The flight crew could, and I suggest should, have been changed at Luton, which is EJ's main base and headquarters. Where they have more resources than Milan and where a change of crew could be expected without a problem. They chose not to do this, therefore, another operational decision.

Had a change of crew been carried out at Luton, the divert to Milan would not have been required and your delay would not have occurred.

I would say the reason for the delay is 'operational decisions' by EJ which is not an EC.

As EJ also assure you... Please be assured that easyJet will always pay compensation where due. you should have no further problems!:)

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Tyzap knocks it out the park ... Brook no nonsense from easyJet on this. And if they continue to mess you about, take them to court. They'll settle quickly enough, I reckon.
  • symphony63
    symphony63 Posts: 105 Forumite
    edited 9 March 2017 at 1:53AM
    Tyzap wrote: »
    If I understand this correctly EJ are stating that the flight from Luton to Tel Aviv had to divert to Italy because the flight crew were about to go 'out of hours'.

This is the correct schedule of events concerning the incoming and returning flight.

History of flight EZY (U2)2086 TLV-LTN 17 November 2017

1. Flight EZY 2085 scheduled to depart from LTN 11:40 departs 11:43 GMT
    2. Flight EZY 2085 gets diverted to SOF for medical emergency
    3. Flight EZY 2085 in SOF arrives at gate 16:53 EET
    4. Flight EZY 2085 departs SOF 18:15 EET and arrives at gate TLV 20:45 IST
    5. Flight EZY 2086 scheduled to depart TLV 19:35 IST departs 21:52 IST
    6. Flight EZY 2086 gets diverted to MXP due to flight crew running out of time.
    7. Flight EZY 2086 arrives in MXP 00:57 CET
    8. Flight EZY 2086 departs MXP and arrives in LTN 02:32 (+1) GMT
    This is the information I managed to gather online from various sites.
    EJ could have arranged replacement crew in TLV, they knew about this problem 5 hours before the flight left TLV. They chose to divert the flight to MXP for operational reasons.
    I checked at Bott & Co and they claim that I am entitled to 600 EUR pp and EUclaims say I’m entitled to 300 EUR pp.

How do you suggest I reply to this or do EJ have a point here.
  • bhav01
    bhav01 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First post/query on here..

Any help will be greatly appreciated..
    EASYJET FLIGHT on 23/02/2017

I'm wondering if I'm entitled to compensation for the specified flight from Luton Airport to Amsterdam on 23/02/2017. Basically there was a delay due to Storm Doris, followed by a 'technical glitch' when we were able to fly (3 hours later), putting our flight back a further 6.5 hours (so EasyJet cancelled it).
    There was also a flight which had it's wheels fail at 4pm UK time*, but the airport was receiving flights at 6pm (ours was due to take off at 6:30pm after the delay).

Please see below the email sent and received from EasyJet.

The email I sent to Easyjet after they responded with 'ATC Restrictions'.[/SIZE]
    This email is in relation to EasyJet Flight 2159 on 23/02/2017.
    Please see the timeline with regards to the disruption on the specified flight:
    - We were boarded onto the plane at roughly the correct time (1500). When on the plane, we told that we would have to wait in the plane for 2 hours due to flights being unable to land in Amsterdam (delay).
    - After being on the plane for over the duration of the flight, and having just circled the runway a couple of times, we were taken off the plane and made to wait in a coach for roughly a further 10 minutes and then were put back onto the plane.
    - Over 3 hours after being on the plane, when other planes were now landing in Amsterdam (the destination), we were told that due to a 'technical glitch' we had been removed from the queue and the next available time-slot for departure was 0030 on 24/02/2017 (over 9 hours potential delay)
    - We told to go back to the departure lounge and it was said that we would re-board at a later time. Instead, whilst waiting for our baggage (which the staff put in holding because he wanted to get rid of his labels), the flight was cancelled.

- We were told we would receive food vouchers when we de-boarded by your Captain. None were provided.
    - We received no hotel accommodation for our cancelled flight, nor was it provided or offered.
    - We received no alternative flight to our destination. We were told that there were none available until Sunday 26th Feb which is when our flight was returning.

The flight was the causal factor for our holiday disbandment. Please see the following quote with reference to the email I have just received from you. It clearly explains how this is not an extraordinary circumstance. Please respond to this email as soon as possible to avoid any further delays in process.I'd prefer to have this sorted as quickly as possible, without the proposal of legal fees.

Kind Regards,
    ==================

Reply from EasyJet

Dear

I’m very sorry for any inconvenience we may have caused you following the disruption to your flight to Amsterdam.

Our aim is to operate all our flights safely and on time. We do all we possibly can to minimise disruption but unfortunately on some occasions we’re unable to keep to our schedule.

The compensation rules set by the EU clearly state that if the disruption is within our control you are entitled to compensation and if it considered ‘extraordinary’ then no compensation is payable.

Having looked at the details of your flight 2159, I can confirm that the reason for your disruption was due to ATC Restrictions.

This event is classified as “extraordinary” under EC Regulation 261/2004 because it was outside of our control. This means that in this instance there is no compensation payable.

You may however qualify for a reimbursement of any reasonable expenses associated with the disruption because it was over 3 hours. If you haven’t already claimed, please apply, including copy
    receipts through our website at
    (taken out to post here)

Once again I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused and hope to welcome you on board again soon.
    Regards

easyJet Customer Services

===============

Thanks in advance.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    symphony63 wrote: »
    This is the correct schedule of events concerning the incoming and returning flight.

History of flight EZY (U2)2086 TLV-LTN 17 November 2017

1. Flight EZY 2085 scheduled to depart from LTN 11:40 departs 11:43 GMT
    2. Flight EZY 2085 gets diverted to SOF for medical emergency
    3. Flight EZY 2085 in SOF arrives at gate 16:53 EET
    4. Flight EZY 2085 departs SOF 18:15 EET and arrives at gate TLV 20:45 IST
    5. Flight EZY 2086 scheduled to depart TLV 19:35 IST departs 21:52 IST
    6. Flight EZY 2086 gets diverted to MXP due to flight crew running out of time.
    7. Flight EZY 2086 arrives in MXP 00:57 CET
    8. Flight EZY 2086 departs MXP and arrives in LTN 02:32 (+1) GMT
    This is the information I managed to gather online from various sites.
    EJ could have arranged replacement crew in TLV, they knew about this problem 5 hours before the flight left TLV. They chose to divert the flight to MXP for operational reasons.
    I checked at Bott & Co and they claim that I am entitled to 600 EUR pp and EUclaims say I’m entitled to 300 EUR pp.

How do you suggest I reply to this or do EJ have a point here.

Had you given these details earlier it would have clarified some of the events.

As the medical emergency occurred on the way out to you and because Tel Aviv is not an EJ main base, where spare flight crew are available, I would not claim.

It is my moral opinion that an aircraft being diverted for the sake of another passengers health is an extraordinary circumstance and I would not want it any other way.

If I was delayed for a few hours, due to an effort to save someones life, I would not attempt to claim a monetary benefit from that situation.

Whether my moral opinion is also backed up by the regulations is a matter of opinion. However, I do feel that a judge would opine that there was no time or opportunity for EJ to correct the situation prior to the delay.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    bhav01. Put your flight details into EcClaim and Bottonline and see what they say.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback