Are the Banks open on good Friday and Easter Monday ?

13»

Comments

• lloyds tell me all branches closed on these 2 days
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 January at 4:00PM
    vinh1000 wrote: »
    lloyds tell me all branches closed on these 2 days

I can remember lloyds tsb being open on bank holiday at christmas the one on new street street by the ramp. I thought they may be open over easter for some reason :eek:
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • ses6jwg wrote: »
    Contrary to what most people believe on here, bank staff have lives and families too....

Thet need a couple of days off to spend the massive bonus that they get ;)
    I have a deep burning indifference
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

If I earned anything like the bonuses the CITY bankers earn or the big chiefs then I'd need more than 2 days off to spend it :beer:
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

An average full time bank cashier gets around 12-14k pa, before tax.

If they perform VERY well they'd look at an average bonus per year of about 2k, before tax.

Hardly sets the world alight.
  • smitchy73
    smitchy73 Posts: 2,558 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    In answer to the OP don't think the banks are open this weekend.

As for national holidays, the banks up here dont get St Andrews Day either, they dont even get the 2nd January which is a scottish holiday, they now get Good Friday instead, up here the banks used to get Easter Monday and 2nd January, but the bank bosses decided they all had to be opened on the same days!!

I feel for the banking staff, yes basic staff only get 12-14k pa plus some bonus money if they, their team, and indeed the branch do well in sales etc etc. However they do chose that type of work. I'm in the civil service and although I get slightly more than that it's not a great deal more, I don't get any bonus's and probably never will, I also don't get any perks either and never will. The only thing I have to look forward to is my 'gold plated' pension which will amount to about £4k per annum if I'm lucky.
    Thanks to all the competition posters.
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Whilst individual banks may choose to open Saturdays etc 'Bank Holidays' - in common with normal weekends - are dates when banking is exempted by law from having to 'settle' (move money between different customers' accounts); this is the real 'pain' afflicting users of their services.

They can't argue any longer that 365 day settlement wouldn't work (as against the mere 252 days a year they move money across accounts at present) What's needed is a non spineless act of government to change the law in this regard. I think we should go to 6 days (312 day annual settlement) on electronic payments* within a year or so of any change with 7 days within three to four years of that. What's to change over what they can do now?

But if they haven't increased the number of settlement dates since 'bank holidays' were formalised in the 1871 Banking Act I don't think government is likely to do much about it any-time soon unfortunately.

*cheque are due for the chop by 2018 - well they were going to be before a handful of MPs got involved - so there's no need to speed these up if you improve other channels.
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport