how to ditch dimmer switch?

We're in a rented property and there were like 8 dimmer switch around the house, some of it are even GU10 light bulb, which I should imagine will cost me an arm.

Because dimerable light bulbs are too expansive for us, I'm wondering if it's possible to replace the dimmer switch with normal switch (DIY) so that I can use ECO light bulbs. I know how to change a wall socket, there are just 3 cables to be connected, but I'm not sure if dimmer switch is any different?

PS, my landlord wouldn't mind me changing them as long as I put the dimmer switch back on when I leave.

Thanks in advance for any help/reply.

Comments

• adaze
    adaze Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can get dimmerable gu10 energy saving bulbs, they are a bit pricey though (see here).

It is quite simple to change a light switch, just make sure you note which wires go where, the swap over should be pretty much like for like. Screwfix do some really cheap standard white switches (see here)
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    My (novice) guess would be that a dimmer switch is just the same. The "dimming" bit is part of the switch that you just wire in.
    I think I had one in my electrical set as a kid. I think the dimmer is just a variable resistor, put in series with the bulb.
  • madjay
    madjay Posts: 299 Forumite
    there are three cable one green/yellow this one is the earth cable, The red cable is the live connect this to the terminal at the top of the switch, The Black Cable (may be marked with red tape) is the switch line and connects to the terminal at the bottom of the switch. This is for one way switching only.
  • cybervic
    cybervic Posts: 597 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    THANKS ADAZE,

we have 20 GU10 fittings at home spread across 4 rooms with 4 dimmer switches. and another 20 normal light bulbs work with another 4 dimmer switches. it'll cost us 350 or so to have all the bulbs changed, just too expansive for me.

The reason I ask is because a friend has told me that a dimmer switch involves a thing called "transformer" which is a separate device from the switch itself. I don't know what that is and I'm not sure if it will cause any damage if the transformer is not removed.
  • adaze
    adaze Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    They are probably LV if they have a transformer (it will usually be a black oblong box). You can get some transformers that are incompatible with dimmers, yours obviously aren't. You won't have any problems changing the switches back to standard ones.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    dimmer switches (240v) are just a straight swap for normal light switches.
    Get some gorm.
  • madjay
    cybervic wrote: »
    THANKS ADAZE,

we have 20 GU10 fitting at home spread across 4 rooms with 4 dimmer switches. and another 20 normal light bulbs that works with another 4 dimmer switches. it'll cost us 350 or so to have all the bulbs changed, just too expansive for me.

The reason I ask is because a friend has told me that dimmer switch involves a "transformer" which is a separate device from the switch itself. I don't know what that is and I'm not sure if it will cause any damage if the transformer is not removed.

There are type of dimmer that have the switches and dimmer units separate but they are expensive. Most normal houses have just a dimmer switch unit on the wall. Just check ... once you have taken the dimmer switch off if it has a "12volt" or "24volt" sticker on the back of it the you can not change the switch.
  • cybervic
    Right, I've opened up 3 switches.
    The first one says: 1 way 200~250v AC, Min load 60W, Max load 400W.
    The second one: 1 way, 500W, 200-250v AC
    the third one: 40-250W, 230v AC

so can I change them?
  • cybervic
    Sorry, just realised I've misread madjay's "24volt" as "240v."

I think the switches are changeable, will be buying this afternoon.

THANKS!!!!
  • madjay
    Yes you can change them, but remember to turn off the power!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure