Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Comments

• davie
    davie Posts: 34
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    I've just switched to Scottish Powes capped duel fuel product. It was cheaper than my existing supplier (Powergen online dual fuel), it's capped and Quidco offer £61 cashback
  • or do they put the prices down in summer when people aren't using much, and then put them up in winter when we use a lot?
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    bingo32 wrote: »
    or do they put the prices down in summer when people aren't using much, and then put them up in winter when we use a lot?

Thats why seasonal gas charging has come in with some.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • bow1508
    bow1508 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Got hassled in a supermarket by NPower but as they give you a 14 day cooling off period i came home and started my research. Am unimpressed. Think i've narrowed it to Scottish Power and Atlantic. Now i've read scottish power have some customer relations probs but does anyone use Atlantic? To be honest hassle free is just as important as cheap to me as I have young kids and getting messed about is just out of the question. Thanks all.
    Martin for Prime Minister!:rotfl:
  • Terrylw1
    bow1508 wrote: »
    Got hassled in a supermarket by NPower but as they give you a 14 day cooling off period i came home and started my research. Am unimpressed. Think i've narrowed it to Scottish Power and Atlantic. Now i've read scottish power have some customer relations probs but does anyone use Atlantic? To be honest hassle free is just as important as cheap to me as I have young kids and getting messed about is just out of the question. Thanks all.
    Martin for Prime Minister!:rotfl:

There are a few threads on the board if you search on Atlantic. Some people say they have good service and with the promise to bill 6 monthly only on meter readings taken from the site, they are more accurate than many Suppliers. This then knocks on to your DD's making them more accurate.

They also give a cashback as well based on anniversary dates.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • msaquib
    msaquib Posts: 717 Forumite
    What about BG online tariff. Are they good. I have searched on moneysupermarket forums and everyone seems to be unhappy with BG.

All feedback welcome

Thanks
    M
  • bow1508
    bow1508 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Thanks Terry, would have used the search engine but couldn't get it to work, i fear this was my puter playing up NOT the site as it's fine today and I get this from time to time. Will have a trawl, but went EEK! when i read a thread about not being able to swap from a meter without paying a deposit. I chose to go over so I could budget easier. I'll look into it.
    As for the British Gas question, i can only speak as I find an i found they were taking the DD and my account was getting further and further into credit but it took me six months of hassle to get the money refunded and they still refused to drop the DD amount. As I've never been in debt for gas or electric I couldn't work out why and the refused to give me a straight answer so I left never to return again (LOL) but thats just me, maybe others think they are wonderful.
  • timbod
    timbod Posts: 52 Forumite
    just a thought really?

With prices going up and down all over the place and usually getting between £30 and £60 back per switch via Quidco - is there any reason you can't switch every 3 months or so - 4 switches at £60 each is £240 towards a year's bills which is about 1/2 my average yearly spend on gas and elec.

So this works out as 1/2 price gas/elec.

Does it affect your credit rating if you switch too much?
    Switching online etc is pretty easy - 5 min on the computer. so quite a saving for not much hassle assuming you get the cashback.

Any thoughts/comments welcome.

Tim
  • Terrylw1
    bow1508 wrote: »
    Thanks Terry, would have used the search engine but couldn't get it to work, i fear this was my puter playing up NOT the site as it's fine today and I get this from time to time. Will have a trawl, but went EEK! when i read a thread about not being able to swap from a meter without paying a deposit. I chose to go over so I could budget easier. I'll look into it.

Hi Bow,

Do you mean changing from PP to credit meters? If so, thats a standard practice. Suppliers always credit check people changing from PP as they represent a greater risk as a PP customer may have been a poor paying in the past. They always make that assumption.

If you have been with a Supplier 12 months and been a good payer, a deposit may not be needed. These are only security deposits though and they are returnable after you reach X months.

I'm not sure if they charge to physically change a meter, some do, some don't.
  • Terrylw1
    timbod wrote: »
    just a thought really?

With prices going up and down all over the place and usually getting between £30 and £60 back per switch via Quidco - is there any reason you can't switch every 3 months or so - 4 switches at £60 each is £240 towards a year's bills which is about 1/2 my average yearly spend on gas and elec.

So this works out as 1/2 price gas/elec.

Does it affect your credit rating if you switch too much?
    Switching online etc is pretty easy - 5 min on the computer. so quite a saving for not much hassle assuming you get the cashback.

Any thoughts/comments welcome.

Tim

Hi Tim,

There should be no real impact to a credit rating. This market is set up to allow hopping unlike the credit market where doing that can put lenders off.

There is no limit on switching except that you have to wait 28 days form your registration date with the Supplier. Thats the industry rule.

However, you need to examine the small print on the cashback sites to see how cashbacks are awarded e.g. some Supplier pay you on anniversary dates. Some cashback sites also limit the switch to 1 per household. So, you just need to review the sites policy to make sure there are no restrictions.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback