No Pension

My wife dosn't have a pension, works part time and earns £8k pa but has access to £60k in savings.
Can she start a pension with this £60k or are there tax implications?

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,599 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    you can't contribute more to a pension than you earn but she could gradually pay the £60k into a pension at £8k per year. She would get tax relief on the full 8k even though she won't have paid any tax. Well worth it
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,672 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Also worth getting her an up-to-date state pension forecast - some of the £60k might be better spent topping up her NI years if required.

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • She already has a pension statement which details she gets a full pension entitlement at 66.
    Any thoughts on a provider for this amount over a period of 3 years?
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Another point slightly off topic.

If she only earns £8K it would be worth while transferring part of her tax allowance to you via the marriage allowance that would reduce your tax bill a little without affecting her position.
  • Already done that ProDave but thanks for the 'heads up' for anyone else
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I can only see downsides to putting this in a pension over putting it in an ISA such as

1) subject to income tax when withdrawn
    2) subject to any laws and tax bands at the time
    3) Can't withdraw until at least 55

Am I missing something?
  • Thanks for the reply lisyloo.
    Its a short term requirement for 3 years till she retires and gets her state pension.
    Given the above it looks like she can only deposit £6400 pa of her own cash in to a pension as she will get the 20% tax break (£1.6k) from HMRC.
    After 3 years she will have £24k in the pot, take her 25% tax free amount leaving her £18k.
    She will withdraw this as needed to top up her state pension, keeping her under her tax threshold.
    When she's retired she will still contribute the £2880 amount to get the tax break.

Its a no brainer as far as I can see, or am I missing something.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks for the reply lisyloo.
    Its a short term requirement for 3 years till she retires and gets her state pension.
    Given the above it looks like she can only deposit £6400 pa of her own cash in to a pension as she will get the 20% tax break (£1.6k) from HMRC.
    After 3 years she will have £24k in the pot, take her 25% tax free amount leaving her £18k.
    She will withdraw this as needed to top up her state pension, keeping her under her tax threshold.
    When she's retired she will still contribute the £2880 amount to get the tax break.

You are right, it is no brainer, especially as she will be under her personal tax allowance when she starts to draw it out, so effectively the tax relief is free cash.

Is she planning to leave it as cash in the SIPP or invest it? If she is only planning to withdraw relatively small amounts to top her State Pension, I think it would make sense to invest it so that it lasts throughout her retirement.
  • That's the plan Audaxer.
    Probably invest it in a SIPP, I'm thinking with HL as they seem to have a good reputation.
    Her pension statement is for £153 per week (£7956pa) allowing her to withdraw around £3.5k pa before hitting her tax threshold.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Nope you are right. I missed the tax break. Cheers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure