NST March: Marching to a different beat

Options

Comments

• bizzie
    bizzie Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Reporting NSD #3/18.
    Quiet day in watching the snow slowly disappear, started feeling warmer only needing three layers today.
    Busy week ahead so will be getting things prepped - tomorrow!
    Groceries: Personal Spend: 0 NST NSD Goals for 2024:Self: Health: Wealth :
  • Debtfreewannabme
    Options
    Hi all, wow in the last hour I've learnt a few lessons about MS and lots to be thankful for:-

DH was finally able to travel home - very thankful for that. But.. after hugging him I heard a loud gushing sound like a tap was on full blast...10 mins searching the house and DH discovered a huge leak in the outside toilet- water shooting everywhr ( we dont use it and didnt even know it was connected). Thankful that I 1) knew what a stop tap was and 2) where it was!!!55357;!!!56834; long story short my good ole FIL came to the rescue and found that ice had caused pressure on the pipes. Ice hacked off and water running in the right places. Boiler and water back on - so thankful for my the fact that we rent atm, for my amazing FIL and the fact that we have still hv running water and CH.

So lessons learnt :
    * An EF really is ESSENTIAL. I have now added an extra £100 that was due to be transferred towards a debt tomo!
    * Realised we don't have home/contents insurance - thinking of the impact of that happening in the house. National trust membership will be cancelled tomo and money saved will go back toward a monthly insurance fee
    * Realised that we would have been paying for water to be heated and going round into the outdoor pipes when we dont use it ( I think) so landlord will be coming to disconnect it tomo.

Feel as though my eyes have been opened alot more tonight! I've grabbed myself a cuppa and off to bed. Here's to a less eventful day tomorrow x
    I am now debt free:T - 20/03/18. Whatever your situation - just.keep.going!
    [STRIKE][/STRIKE][STRIKE][/STRIKE]EF £1000/£1000 goal
    [STRIKE][/STRIKE][STRIKE][/STRIKE]CHILDCARE Savings goal £600/£600
    EF 3 month goal £2,000/£3,500
    HOUSE DEPOSIT £0/£20,000
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NSDs - will aim for 18, currently on 2/18
    Budgets - £150 food, £20 cleaning, toilet rolls, etc, £150 social, £60 petrol
    Generous - will buy items for the food bank next time I'm at the supermarket
    LTW - always do
    Debt - payment made, additional payments will be made throughout the month
    Plan ahead - social things are planned, work is variable at the moment with a lot of last minute overtime so have planned quick and easy meals.

A very speedy day today as I paid the rent, electricity bill and bought a new phone. I also bought some washing up liquid and milk.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1428.98/£1500 (95.3% saved).
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all :j

Thanks for the advice re the leak Calling & Toni's friend - I was feeling a bit smug earlier today because it seemed to have stopped. I remembered that we had this problem before - a few years ago - the plumber who we finally got to come, was really there to replace the shower, which she did, but was rather flummoxed by the leak. It seems to stem from the overflow on the cold tank - I think. Our ceilings are incredibly high & I was only able to get into the loft by standing on the very top of the ladder (with DH holding it) which still didn't get me high enough. I then had to haul myself upwards through the hatch ...not easy. DH couldn't do it as he couldn't fit through the (very small) hatch. Much worse was coming back down tbh. Once you are up there it is not boarded & is like a cathedral, massive high space & dark. I'm not sure but I think there was a small plastic box placed to catch these drips up there....my idea was that it only happens in extreme weather conditions, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any ideas. I am going to have to go up there tomorrow, as although it stopped during the day, it's started again now. PS we do have a new, much bigger ladder :rotfl:

· For the striders: 2/18 NSDs

· Set your budgets before the challenge starts - not done this yet, awaiting spreadsheet from DH, hopefully tomorrow.

· Be generous !!!8211; will do

· Note down Certainly need to do this, in order to get a handle on spending. No food spends this month so far, or visits to shops.

· As ever, will do

· Pay towards your debt first! Do not have debt now but have been there before so am very wary. Do have a CC paid off in full every month. Credit card charges run up by cloned card have been refunded thankfully!!

· Plan. Have a visit to a show (tickets bought as a gift for us) at the end of the week, also afternoon tea. May combine the two for a full day out, as they \are in the same town, or split them for 2 trips out..

· Check in every day. Will do
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • Debtfreewannabme
    Options
    Gosh sashanut I havent read your previous posts about leak but that sounds dangerous! Be careful tomorrow. Im sure the taller ladder will come in handy! Sounds like a great day out planned with show and afternoon tea - enjoy every moment x
    I am now debt free:T - 20/03/18. Whatever your situation - just.keep.going!
    [STRIKE][/STRIKE][STRIKE][/STRIKE]EF £1000/£1000 goal
    [STRIKE][/STRIKE][STRIKE][/STRIKE]CHILDCARE Savings goal £600/£600
    EF 3 month goal £2,000/£3,500
    HOUSE DEPOSIT £0/£20,000
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Quick check in

NSD 2/15. Great afternoon building a snow family (6 of us plus 3 pets)

Likely to have spends today - need some rolls for lunchboxes (am so looking forward to being able to bake bread and rolls again once new oven comes this week!) , tomatoes and OJ

x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Nicky_Noo_Na
    Nicky_Noo_Na Posts: 763 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was naughty on friday and bought my breakfast at work thus ruining a NSD. However I enjoyed it very much and it was my little treat for working longer than usual days at work since some people were off due to snow. Only cost £2 and cheered me right up so worth it I reckon.

Yesterday was spendy but then Saturdays always are! Tesco weekly shop delivered plus 5 hours of running errands with small spends in several shops. Lunch out needed but cost less then £5 for 3 of us - not bad!

Anyone on vodafone check your myvodafone notifications and you can get a free easter egg from tesco. In reality it comes up as a £1.50 coupon so DH and I bought a big one each (half price from £4 down to £2) for 50p each. Added to some I got on a previous offer thats Easter sorted!

Not planning on leaving the house today so hopefully 2nd NSD of the month today but will confirm later
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    debtfree I think the emergency fund vs paying debts is a personal one. I paid all my debts off first because they were high interest & then saved my EF. I knew that if emergencies did arise I could always put it back on the credit card but as I say my interest was high & all my debt was cc debt. you will get there however you do it one sensible choice at a time. We were in so much debt that Im still a bit traumatised by it lol. we were flat broke without heating & sometimes food. (combination of high debts & then being made redundant) I thought we would never get there but we did. I love my credit cards now but all have good reward schemes & I always always repay in full even the 0% interest one.
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    NSD 2 / 18

Cracking the whip and making them all do their homework, even the stuff that was due in on snow Friday.

Condensate pipe froze yesterday - one of the warmer days! .. makes no sense!! water dripping out the front of the boiler highlighted the problem. Even after the pipes were cleared it still dripped for a good half day. All dry now and £0 spends.

I have done nothing!! Properly nothing. Can't seem to get motivated.

Will watch all the politics and weather forecasts and then make my plans for the week
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • luckystarr
    luckystarr Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have been AWOL for a long time and spending habits are awful and have amounted in debt yet again. Please can I join the challenge even though I am late to the party x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure