Interest Only Mortgage

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Why are you not making overpayments?
    Overpayments aren't always allowed. I used to have an Abbey National interest only mortgage and used to pay by standing order, due to a interest rate cut the payments went down, but I carried on for a few months at the old rate. AN wrote to be to say this wasn't allowed and I had to reduce my standing order payment.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    OP, I think some posters here are being over-optimistic in the assumption that you've got a big repayment vehicle ready at this point, as 1) this after all a money-saving site and we're all here as we've not enough funds to meet our needs or wants, and 2) you thought you had another decade and more to catch up with your finances.

So let's assume there's no money in that pot; I wouldn't wait for the mortgage maturity people or international rescue to come and give you help. I'd really start looking around now for a smaller house while putting your current house on the market.

Given your circumstances, I'm not sure this current house was ever going to be able to end up as your long-term home, and it might be time to consider that.

I goes without saying that your next mortgage needs to go under the microscope checking every comma and full stop.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Dustonh whilst I appreciate you taking time to give your views from your experience of the banks processes as that does help me understand viewpoint, I do feel you should note your own words "Different people have different needs and what is right for one person might not be for another". Precisely why I feel it is a shame the past system of bank manager being able to look at personal circumstances has gone. Not just in banking actually, we seem to be living in a world where people are no longer treated as people but more as statistics.

However, I do not appreciate your tone. Using words such as "foolish" and "stupid" comes across as somewhat derogatory. We all have different views which make us act in different ways to different circumstances, and we don't know all those circumstances. It is not for us to stand in judgement.

You may not agree with what I have done but I was not asking for opinions on what I had done or why, I was asking for advice and suggestions for moving forward, maybe from people who had been in the same or similar situation.

For factual information. Current interest only mortgage payment has just dropped from £640 to £590 pm. The part repayment part interest only was a 3year or 5 year fixed deal with a monthly payment of £530 per month. Though we went through many variances in the IO/repayment split and I was happy to look at one which had my payment up to £700pm as I know I can afford that. Full repayment would have been £900pm which I know I can't afford. Overpayments carry a 3% fee. My common sense suggests this is a better deal for both parties at this time, and their Mortgage Consultant agreed also, however their computer calculated my affordability couldn't reach £530 let alone more. She was as frustrated as I was that she couldn't do it.
  • Zagubov, thanks For your comment. I never bought the house as my forever home, I am quite a nomadic soul and do not see it as such now, it is not a massive house just a small 3-bed for me and my 2 children. You probably missed the earlier comment about my property overseas.

All I am looking for is now 5 more years in this one so as not to disrupt my children's stability during their transfer from teenage to adult years.

Then it will be sold and mortgage paid off. Years ago past experience, loyalty and a good payment record used to mean something, sadly now you can't even talk to someone face to face.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Dustonh whilst I appreciate you taking time to give your views from your experience of the banks processes as that does help me understand viewpoint, I do feel you should note your own words "Different people have different needs and what is right for one person might not be for another".

People may have different needs but your situation is not variable. You are where you are.
    Precisely why I feel it is a shame the past system of bank manager being able to look at personal circumstances has gone. Not just in banking actually, we seem to be living in a world where people are no longer treated as people but more as statistics.

If we were back in that time, then a) you would have been forced to have a repayment vehicle. and b) they would go straight for repossession now.
    However, I do not appreciate your tone. Using words such as "foolish" and "stupid" comes across as somewhat derogatory. We all have different views which make us act in different ways to different circumstances, and we don't know all those circumstances. It is not for us to stand in judgement.

The words used in the context were fair and correct. The credit boom years prior to the credit crunch were stupid. Almost everyone recognises that. There is nothing derogatory calling a period of time that has universally been recognised as being bad that. And again, foolish was correctly used as taking out an interest only mortgage with no plan to repay it is a foolish action. It puts you into a situation that is going to cause a problem later on.
    You may not agree with what I have done but I was not asking for opinions on what I had done or why, I was asking for advice and suggestions for moving forward, maybe from people who had been in the same or similar situation.

I was not offering opinions. However, you do have this perception, which you have repeated in this thread, that you believe you are a good credit risk. I was trying to explain why you are not.
    For factual information. Current interest only mortgage payment has just dropped from £640 to £590 pm. The part repayment part interest only was a 3year or 5 year fixed deal with a monthly payment of £530 per month. Though we went through many variances in the IO/repayment split and I was happy to look at one which had my payment up to £700pm as I know I can afford that. Full repayment would have been £900pm which I know I can't afford.

This is useful information and supports the earlier comments that you cannot afford a mortgage. Staying on interest only without a repayment plan just delays the inevitable.
    Overpayments carry a 3% fee.

Only if you are in a deal.
    My common sense suggests this is a better deal for both parties at this time, and their Mortgage Consultant agreed also, however their computer calculated my affordability couldn't reach £530 let alone more. She was as frustrated as I was that she couldn't do it.

A lowly skilled bank clerk is not exactly a strong reference for suitability. Also, it is a lot easier to be agreeable with you and blame others than it is to say what the problem is to your face. Mortgage rates are historically low. The lender has to check affordability and that doesnt mean looking at todays rates but at a higher rate that is more likely to appear some time in the future. They then look at the risks and a) you cant afford repayment even with the term extended and b) you cant afford payments on a part interest only/repayment when interest rates rise again.

Getting that deal is a bit like how the EU have dealt with Greece. Keep fudging it and kicking the real problem a couple of years down the road each time.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    OP did you tell the Santander mortgage adviser about your overseas property? If there is any equity in it the sale might form part of a solution.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,940 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I do feel sorry for you. If you had been given what you wanted in the first place, you would have had a 25 yr interest only mortgage. With no repayment vehicle you could have sold up in 5 or even years time when your children would be not requiring a family home. Now you are being forced into a situation where selling up now will disrupt your children far more than you had ever planned.

In the year you took out a 10 year interest only mortgage, what you expected to get (the 25 yr option) would have given you what you wanted. Effectively the repayment plan was to sell up. That seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I hope you can complain. The FSA talks constantly about upholding complaints should put people back in the situation they would have been had the error not ocurred. In your case all you are asking is that you should have a 25 yr term.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

I have an interest only mortgage taken out in 2006 with Alliance and Leicester which was subsequently taken over by Santander.

Santander acquired the mortgage books of A&L. This did not result in Santander becoming responsible for your mortgage. Other than the administration of the account and collection of the remaining debt. You've no grounds therefore to complain to Santander.
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 October 2016 at 6:05PM
    I don't have a solution to offer but just felt compelled to comment on the nature of replies to your thread asking for advice on how to extricate yourself and your family from a difficult situation. How hard is it for people to either give helpful advice in a polite/professional manner or just not say anything. Isn't that what most people were taught growing up? They could learn a lot from Martin.

Newbies that come upon these kind of replies on threads will be reluctant to ask for advice, fearing being judged, mocked or labelled for choices made in the past that can't be changed.

I empathise with your situation and hope you find a way out of this that doesn't involve uprooting your family from your current home.

Good luck.
    Dustonh whilst I appreciate you taking time to give your views from your experience of the banks processes as that does help me understand viewpoint, I do feel you should note your own words "Different people have different needs and what is right for one person might not be for another". Precisely why I feel it is a shame the past system of bank manager being able to look at personal circumstances has gone. Not just in banking actually, we seem to be living in a world where people are no longer treated as people but more as statistics.

For factual information. Current interest only mortgage payment has just dropped from £640 to £590 pm. The part repayment part interest only was a 3year or 5 year fixed deal with a monthly payment of £530 per month. Though we went through many variances in the IO/repayment split and I was happy to look at one which had my payment up to £700pm as I know I can afford that. Full repayment would have been £900pm which I know I can't afford. Overpayments carry a 3% fee. My common sense suggests this is a better deal for both parties at this time, and their Mortgage Consultant agreed also, however their computer calculated my affordability couldn't reach £530 let alone more. She was as frustrated as I was that she couldn't do it.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 October 2016 at 8:57PM
    I hope you can complain. The FSA talks constantly about upholding complaints should put people back in the situation they would have been had the error not ocurred. In your case all you are asking is that you should have a 25 yr term.

We went to an FOS meeting earlier in the year and the subject of interest only mortgages came up. The FOS said that they dont really see it as an issue as the alternative was to rent and rents typically went up whilst interest only mortgages got cheaper and the person has benefited from a rise in property value. So, they can sell up and take that profit tax free whilst had they rented they would have nothing.
    How hard is it for people to either give helpful advice in a polite/professional manner or just not say anything. Isn't that what most people were taught growing up? They could learn a lot from Martin.

Telling the person what they want to hear just to wrap them up in cotton wool does not help. It is better that they are made aware of the issues and reasons rather than continue on false assumptions and living a lie. Once they know the issues and understand them, then the advice can be tailored. Some people are far too sensitive when reading posts on a discussion board. Especially when they try to read things into the message that are not there. Information, even when you dont like it is still information. It is not a personal attack but just a dose of reality.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure