We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Comments

• alfie_1 wrote: »
    hi peeps..:hello:

well im glad last weeks over with, talk about hit the ground running !!

had all sorts of appointments in between work..
    had hospital last Friday and after telling me that all my tests were clear, that I should take some pills INCASE I get some sort of arthritis..??!
    got home, son read up re pills [doc said I had to have 2 weekly blood tests for 2 months incase of liver probs :eek: ] they are used in chemo treatment ?? folic acid tab [2 days later] is to help if hair starts to fall out !!!
    so they are a NO GO for me...
    all because my hand hurt !!

was cleaning holiday home last Thursday eve ,having been told people in Friday eve, when theres a knock at the door and 4 Norwegian chaps are stood there bags in hand :eek:
    my friend and I stood looking like a pair of goldfish ! having stuttered out "mistake/sorry/not ready" etc , they went off for a pint...or two. friend and I went like loonatics finishing setting up the house and they returned, thankfully with a sense of humour ....phew.
    couldn't get hold of "the lady who irons" so panic re the 5 sets of bed linen etc sat in my utility room....waiting.
    finally got hold of her and nearly kissed her
    I don't iron ... tried but im carp at it...
    owner of house thought it all hilarious :cool:

son is very upset as GF went back to Canada then dumped him [after 4 years].. no reason doesn't help !!

friends mother is critical in hosp, just waiting now !

I feel like my head is spinning at the moment..

on a lighter note I definitely think tilly the hoss is preggies, changing shape now from just fat to pear shape fat...

im hopefully getting a greenhouse from next door.its a biggish one so im going to half it by boarding out the back half to make it a shed with glass front. my old likkle shed has waved a white flag for months now and put the mower in today and the floor fell in :o so I just shut the very wonky door and went indoors for a cuppa and an asprin !!
    I have written a list of jobs to do from decorating to garden stuff [just got a trailer full of York stone rocks for when I re do an overgrown side of the pond and 30 paving slabs for greenhouse base etc .... FREE :T ]
    a couple of hefty branches came down in the garden when we had those high winds so have to have a trim up before more come down .....

we got 600 bales of hay off one field but lost the weather/ time slot for the rest so will just top the field and leave it there.
    SO many acorns down !! its a worry ...

ok peeps im off to lay in my barf for an HOUR at least :rotfl:

Think you need to go and see your GP and ask them to explain your blood results. Methotrexate isn't prescribed as a 'just in case' medication. It might be that what they were trying to say was that there wasn't any sign of joint destruction/erosion on x-ray, but your inflammation markers (CRP, ESR, maybe CCP, plus Rheumatoid Factor) were raised, which would indicate that you've got an autoimmune disease in its early stages if you don't have bony damage or tendon issues on x-ray/scan.

NICE guidelines show that treating autoimmune diseases such as Rheumatoid Arthritis/Psoriatic Arthritis/Psoriasis/etc from the outset with DMARDs such as Methotrexate (and folic acid on another day to ensure that the effect of the drug is limited to the inflammatory response rather than the rest of the body) have been shown over many years to be the most effective course in limiting permanent joint damage, deformity and the disease progressing to affect the heart, lungs, eyes, kidneys or other organs (it's likely that untreated inflammatory arthritis is what killed my father in his early 40s from it causing heart failure - and the twisted, contorted hands of some old people is nothing to do with age/wear and tear arthritis, it's caused by inflammatory arthritis that has not been treated),

They compared results to people taking NSAIDs like Ibuprofen (gastric symptoms, bleeding, ulcers, cardiac issues) on a long term basis or steroid medication (weight gain, bone thinning, osteoporosis, susceptibility to infection, medical emergency after unplanned cessation, skin thinning, hair loss, bleeding, etc). And they decided providing MTX on diagnosis was a scientifically logical choice.

Yes, methotrexate is still used as a chemotherapy drug in some circumstances - but at doses significantly higher than is being prescribed. Picking a common dosage of 7.5mg once a week for autoimmune issues, compare that to the lowest dose for stage I lymphoma - 70mg - or for later stages which require more aggressive treatment, 1,750mg, plus iv steroids (more if the patient is heavier). The dose for dealing with an overactive immune system attacking your joints, connective tissue, organs or skin is about 4% of that given to somebody weighing 15 stone having treatment for cancer. I look at it in terms that whilst eating 1700 stewed prunes is going to make you feel extremely unwell, having 7 isn't - but you might have to run to the loo in the morning - it's a question of scale.

It's perfectly within your rights to refuse, but I think you should at least doublecheck exactly what was meant, so that you can make your decision with the full facts, as what you've said just doesn't sound right in the slightest.

For what it's worth, I'm going back on them in the next few weeks because I had a huge flare and couldn't function - but the first time I took them, within about 3 months, despite feeling a little nauseous the day after and finding the hair right on my hairline was more baby hair than before, I didn't really look any different, except for the fact my disease activity went down to practically zero and I remained in remission from symptoms for five years after stopping it, so I was able to move around, get exercise, lift and carry and do everything everybody else takes for granted with no pain, but had been completely impossible for me for about ten years.

Have a look on the Arthritis Care/Research pages for their information booklets about diseases and treatments - just googling the drug name is always going to give the scary information before anything actually useful, especially when you're under other stresses - and untreated inflammation also affects people's moods quite badly, not just because of pain or tiredness, but just the mood itself - which could be making it harder for you to cope with everything.

I've looked at the garden and noticed over the wall that there is a big digger in there. Oh well, that'll be a load of houses blocking every scrap of daylight and sky this place had for next Spring.

At least I can use the fact I'm still in work and making some important people quite happy right now, as that might help me in seeking work out near the moors.

Miffed already at the thought of not having moved by this Autumn/Christmas. The prospect of being here as those houses go up and we're plunged into darkness, so all I see is concrete instead of sky and trees, is very depressing.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    hiya jojo..
    I understand what you have explained but I have had no joint problems just this one hand.
    ive had a bad back/hip for ever since an accident yonks ago.
    all my xrays showed no joint damage, my blood tests showed nothing raised/unusual..chest xray fine.
    the consultant said nothing to worry about. another consultant came in and said re this medication ! I actually asked if it was a trial or something.... AND C2 said it would be for LIFE..

I don't like putting chemicals in my body at the best of times ...well ...

I will look into it more !

fabulous sunny day here today hit 17d at one point !
    been measuring and getting area ready for greenhouse today so should have that sorted in the next few weeks...
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    lucielle...

SRI LANKA is beautifull ... enjoy

DAVE.. any recoil re car ...:rotfl:

gorgeous sunny day here :)
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Nice day here but the road is a crazy race track - This NC 500 is a nightmare. Sports cars with racing exhausts on & bikers & huge camper vans - last week an 84 year old was killed just down the road by a camper van on the wrong side of the road - the other three folks are still in intensive care.

The only folks who like this are the B & Bs & the shops as it's ruining the place. The rubbish chucked at the side of the roads is heartbreaking.

Whinge over.

Lost another two hens - still don't know what is taking them in the middle of the day.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    lucielle..
    DAVE.. any recoil re car ...:rotfl:
    Nope, the car will probably 'go' for quite a long time before it finally expires. After all, we drove it for some months without knowing what might be wrong; it sails along the motorway at [STRIKE]80[/STRIKE] 70 just fine. :A

I just didn't want to be the one driving when it finally goes "Bleurgh!" ;)

Warm and sunny here too. We've finished the drains.....not quite the way I'd planned, but it matters not. :whistle:I'm learning to smile and nod, but it's hard. Unfortunately, I blotted my copy book this morning and said $"&%++!!! when I was 'told' I was doing drains today. :naughty:

Outlaws have returned home.....:cool:
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,730 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Satisfying couple of hours tidying the shed as the fur babies had found the grass seed- which is no more and OH is going to bring something 'nice' for them from the workshop.

Also mowed the lawns and was debating about using the hedgetrimmer but not played with that before, so thought I'd better leave it in case I made an @rse of it.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    morning peeps

another lovely day..

there are some really sh*t people about it seems!
    a friend knows a very elderly lady [she used to occasionally walk her dog for her].. another dog walking lady has conned this poor old lady [82] by a] walking her dog for extortionate £s....b] when old lady had a fall, took her to her own home, removed furniture from old ladies little cottage, [tipped some of it !] c] then started to empty her bank account by the tune of £200 per week for supposed "care" ...d] moved her savings into current account etc..
    poor old dear didn't know what was going on until another friend stepped in, called social services who got her into respite care, her dog was taken away too [friend has it now]
    they are now trying to re furnish her cottage [dog waking woman was trying to get her to sell cottage to a family member!!] ..
    big task now proving fraud !!

I don't know how these people sleep at night !!

rant over...

I cleared a section behind my pond yesterday...how can SO much debris come from a small area !...trailer full !!
    started with strimmer which promptly went capput, so took it back and got a replacement .. job for today me finks..
    im looking after 3 dogs this weekend so 6 here at the moment [all fast asleep on sofa at the moment] friend came round for eats last night and brought her 3 labs too ...so 9 dogs here !! great fun ....

well I hope the weather is being kind to you all and have a great sunday xx
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    well I hope the weather is being kind to you all and have a great sunday xx
    Very unkind here. Rained late morning, cleared-up, then rained again, just when we thought it had passed-through!:(

I have to phone the builders' merchants in the morning, pronto. Mr Rod is ready to do the final plastering. He's had a job cancelled, so we have to magic-up all his materials by Tuesday. His last words back in the early summer were, "I'll give you a week's notice." :wall:Got to knock the rendering off half the rear elevation by Tuesday too!

Still, at least it's happening.....:undecided

Discovered the work which took us all of Saturday isn't right. I didn't interfere, just nodded, smiled and did as I was bid....:A
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    That's terrible Alfie - It's shocking what some will do for money.
    Glad that it will get stopped before they've cleaned her out.

Funny day here weather wise but managed a beach walk with very low tide so got round the three of them with puppy face. Loads of seals & just a nice walk.

Low cloud & rain later but weirdly mild.

Dave - sounds like we have similar with waiting still about road/track - thought this was to happen in April but each week seems to be a different reason. I've kinda given up on the garden as I don't know where the drains are going to run. Well - it's not been great weather to garden but I can blame the digger driver for my laziness - lack of motivation on that one!
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,432 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    choille, I saw the NC 500 advertised on Faceache today, shared by VisitScotland from another site. It sounds like a complete nightmare :(

We're off to Peebles next month for a couple of days, I've heard it's nice so looking forward to that.

Jojo, I feel your pain with the not moving. We are still planning our big move (have discussed with the kids now) but I think I'll believe it when it happens...

Hope everyone is well, I'm still reading but haven't had anything interesting to share ;)
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure