Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Comments

• bobmac62
    bobmac62 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    BULK LPG PRICING FOR AUGUST 2017

New pricing from Woldlink advised as 25.81PPL +5% VAT, up slightly from 24.63PPL in July.
  • Flogas are a joke of a company to deal with. Customer service if you can call it that is absolutely shocking. They have somehow managed to get an 8.5 on trust pilot.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Renewal time again.

History:
    Calor 2013 - 45p/l, 16.9p/day, £150 intro bonus. We've used about 3,000 litres in two years, just shy of £1,400 all in.
    Calor 2015 renewal quote... 38p/l yr1, 41p/l yr2, 17.3p/day, £100 renewal bonus. Roughly £1,275.
    Extrafuel 2015 - 29p/l 12mo fix (max 4p/2nd yr), £60/yr, £250 bonus. Roughly £790.

So...
    Extrafuel 2017 renewal quote - 31.5p/l yr1, 35p/l yr2, 16.43p/day, £0 bonus. Roughly £1,120.

Lister - Not listed as supplying here (HR3) any more on UKLPG.
    Callow - no reply to quote request via webform, email bounced, phone number not recognised.
    Countrywide - "About 34p/l, but we don't discuss prices over the phone - you can do that at the site survey".
    Flogas - 36.5p/l yr1, uncapped* market rate yr2, 17.2p/day, £0 bonus. Roughly £1,360.
    Cardiff - 36p/l currently, uncapped market rate throughout**, 20p/day, £0 bonus. Roughly £1,350. No contract period.
    Avanti - 29.9p/l yr1, 32.9p/l yr2, 17.2p/day, £100 bonus. Roughly £970.
    Calor - 33p/1 yr1, 36.5p/l yr2, 17.3p/day, £250 bonus. Roughly £920.

* - I'm assuming 45p/l for yr2.
    ** - I'm assuming the current rate as an average for yr1, with 45p/l yr2.

Looks like back to Calor, then. Switching/retention bonuses are clearly on the way out.

Callow eventually got back to me - 36p/l yr 1, +/-2p cap yr2, no bonus.
  • mcmullank
    mcmullank Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Renewal time again.

History:
    Calor 2013 - 45p/l, 16.9p/day, £150 intro bonus. We've used about 3,000 litres in two years, just shy of £1,400 all in.
    Calor 2015 renewal quote... 38p/l yr1, 41p/l yr2, 17.3p/day, £100 renewal bonus. Roughly £1,275.
    Extrafuel 2015 - 29p/l 12mo fix (max 4p/2nd yr), £60/yr, £250 bonus. Roughly £790.

So...
    Extrafuel 2017 renewal quote - 31.5p/l yr1, 35p/l yr2, 16.43p/day, £0 bonus. Roughly £1,120.

Lister - Not listed as supplying here (HR3) any more on UKLPG.
    Callow - no reply to quote request via webform, email bounced, phone number not recognised.
    Countrywide - "About 34p/l, but we don't discuss prices over the phone - you can do that at the site survey".
    Flogas - 36.5p/l yr1, uncapped* market rate yr2, 17.2p/day, £0 bonus. Roughly £1,360.
    Cardiff - 36p/l currently, uncapped market rate throughout**, 20p/day, £0 bonus. Roughly £1,350. No contract period.
    Avanti - 29.9p/l yr1, 32.9p/l yr2, 17.2p/day, £100 bonus. Roughly £970.
    Calor - 33p/1 yr1, 36.5p/l yr2, 17.3p/day, £250 bonus. Roughly £920.

* - I'm assuming 45p/l for yr2.
    ** - I'm assuming the current rate as an average for yr1, with 45p/l yr2.

Looks like back to Calor, then. Switching/retention bonuses are clearly on the way out.

Interesting that Countrywide would not give you a price over the phone. This is a requirement that was made compulsory by the Competition Commission (See here https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/348295/Domestic_bulk_LPG_Market_Investigation_Order.pdf)
    19.3 A supplier shall make available via a telephone enquiry point quotes for the supply of domestic bulk LPG to a customer, such quotes to be provided in pounds sterling and pence per litre
  • AdrianC
    mcmullank wrote: »
    Interesting that Countrywide would not give you a price over the phone. This is a requirement that was made compulsory by the Competition Commission (See here https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/348295/Domestic_bulk_LPG_Market_Investigation_Order.pdf)
    I would presume the "about 34p" was deliberate to meet the bare minimum of that.
  • HI
    We had LPG tank installed 3 years ago through Calor and the service and cost has been abominable!
    Out of contract now and refusing to sign on again as they won't give us any better than 52ppl. We really need to switch to save some money but not sure which suppliers are in the South West.
    I am going through the companies on AdrianC's post but wondered how to get such a good deal?
    Prices seem to fluctuate depending on who you talk to at each company and I want to know what I'm doing wrong that we never seem to get offered a half decent deal.
    Any advice appreciated.
  • AdrianC
    I am going through the companies on AdrianC's post but wondered how to get such a good deal?
    I just put my postcode (Herefordshire) into http://www.uklpg.org/advice-and-information/switching-your-lpg-supply/ then dropped a simple email to each of the suppliers. They called me or emailed me back over the course of the next day or two, and the figures I've given were the only ones they quoted.
  • JerryW
    JerryW Posts: 296 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    HI
    We had LPG tank installed 3 years ago through Calor and the service and cost has been abominable!
    Out of contract now and refusing to sign on again as they won't give us any better than 52ppl. We really need to switch to save some money but not sure which suppliers are in the South West.
    Prices seem to fluctuate depending on who you talk to at each company and I want to know what I'm doing wrong that we never seem to get offered a half decent deal.
    Any advice appreciated.

- Calor will usually match other quotes if you phone them and ask for sales.
    - But please, do try Woldlink... speak to them on the phone, they are such nice folk to talk to. Just google woldlink. Get your other quotes first then phone them
    If what I said helped you, please "Thank" the relevant post. It cheers me up somewhat..
  • Essexuser
    Essexuser Posts: 28 Forumite
    edited 19 August 2017 at 9:50PM
    Entirely agree with the above re Woldlink. In the end they couldn't match the price Flogas offered me via LPG Save (even though, as the regulars know, Woldlink source their gas from Flogas) but I have to say Woldlink is the only totally honest LPG supplier I've ever come across.
  • JerryW
    JerryW Posts: 296 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Essexuser wrote: »
    Entirely agree with the above re Woldlink. In the end they couldn't match the price Flogas offered me via LPG Save (even though, as the regulars know, Woldlink source their gas from Flogas) but I have to say Woldlink is the only totally honest LPG supplier I've ever come across.

Fully agree, with Calor they were pushing the price up all the time and you had to argue with them constantly. Woldlink do that for you (with Flogas) and that is worth something to me.

I do however wonder about the current Woldlink 6mth pricing.. it is 36.95p/l whereas their monthly pricing, no longer available to new customers, is 25.81p as stated above - a big difference and I think they must have let Flogas shaft them when that price was agreed. It runs until 30 September and I am holding out until then, before ordering any ..
    If what I said helped you, please "Thank" the relevant post. It cheers me up somewhat..
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback