Separation Telling the children Yes / no

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Had the same problem when wanting to tell my 4 year old at the time. What we did was get a book and show pics of both new homes she would be staying at and how her bedrooms would look and pictures and words explaining how she would live with her mother and come stay at mine.

She took it really well and I trhink you'll be surprised how resilient your eldest may be.

Sure she asks questions about why we live apart but as long as it's amicable your kids will be fine.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    chesky wrote: »
    You're obviously hoping that your son is at some point going to ask his mum the question 'why doesn't daddy .........' (Whatever) and she, poor woman, is going to have to tell him on her own.

Bearing in mind the age of the child/ren:

"Daddy has a new house now, and lucky you, you'll be able to go and visit him there"
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My daughter and her husband split up when the children were young. They took it very well, almost matter of factly, as I am sure they had sensed there were tensions between their parents. I have to say that they now have the best of lives. Two lovely homes, double the number of treats, holidays, birthday presents. Of course, this is only possible as there are no money issues, and is not the case for everyone.
    So tell them, deal with it properly, fairly and honestly.
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Poor_Single_lady Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry if this sounds rude but I think you are lucky your wife bothered checking your viewpoint.
    Once you have walked out she will maybe parent her way regardless of what you think because you won't be around.
    If I had a husband who left me with 2 year old and 5 year old I would change the locks and I would not be remotely interested in your parenting opinions.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm another in the definitely tell them camp. I'd tell both of them at the same time even though the youngest may not take it in properly.

Your wife is going to find it very hard to appear amicable in front of the children 24/7 particularly as she hasn't initiated this whatever she's saying now. I do hope she can be mature enough to keep a united front with the children but sadly I have known many women who discuss their children's father negatively either directly to the children or gossip to friends in front of them.
  • Aced2016
    Aced2016 Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    When I read your post I assumed you'd been married 20/30 years. I was shocked to see you had a two and five year old!

I believe you should talk to your son and explain things and reassure him. To be honest I think your bored. Bored of your wife, having two young kids and life being different to how it was.

I've 4 children and been with my husband just over 14 years, since I was a teenager. I've had times I've been bored, when things have seemed like its the end. But I've never gave up and I won't ! I believe in seeing marriage out (within reason) it needs worked on. And I want to ensure my kids are brought up with a mum and a dad together.

Maybe you living on your own, after you've had your fun will make you see what you've lost.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Aced2016 wrote: »

Maybe you living on your own, after you've had your fun will make you see what you've lost.

It made me wonder why the hell I didn't move out twenty years earlier.
  • jayII
    jayII Posts: 40,693 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2017 at 4:33PM
    Options
    You are being selfish. You should tell them, but first you should try a bit longer to make your marriage work. You made a commitment and your wife presumably agreed to have children on the basis that you'd bring them up as a committed couple? I too was shocked to see that you hadn't been married for 20 years or so, with the way you talk about your marriage.

Okay, things have been difficult for a year, but a year is really nothing, when you have very young children and thus very limited time to spend together and work on things. You're giving up at the time when things are hardest due to the normal demands of a two and five year old.

If you can stay together and get through the next couple of years, then you will probably have an extremely strong and close marriage and relationship, just when your children start to be more independent and more fun to care for and to spend time with. All relationships go through rough times when children are very young, but strong and caring parents and partners work through the problems, rather than giving up.
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Fighting the biggest battle of my life. :( Started 30th January 2018.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • LKRDN_Morgan
    LKRDN_Morgan Posts: 308 Forumite
    Options
    Woah for a second there I thought I'd stumbled into mumsnet not MSE. So many bitter responses. Times have changed. People don't stay in unhappy marriages anymore for the sake of the kids. It doesn't do them any favours. Being around unhappy parents is not a nice experience

Not sure if OP has responsed or not, I must have missed it in a sea of man haters but be honest with your boy. He'll work it out for himself anyway so better you're upfront about it than hear of from his upset mum. Things can so easily be said in the heat of the moment whilst she's still coming to terms with it
  • Aced2016
    Aced2016 Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    Woah for a second there I thought I'd stumbled into mumsnet not MSE. So many bitter responses. Times have changed. People don't stay in unhappy marriages anymore for the sake of the kids. It doesn't do them any favours. Being around unhappy parents is not a nice experience

Not sure if OP has responsed or not, I must have missed it in a sea of man haters but be honest with your boy. He'll work it out for himself anyway so better you're upfront about it than hear of from his upset mum. Things can so easily be said in the heat of the moment whilst she's still coming to terms with it

Do you not think that's the problem in society though now ? Far to many people just end it, Infact I know numerous who didn't even last a year in marrisge. Sadly it's the lure of the hen and stag and the big party. It's actually a joke !! Then children are brought into it, then everyone's bored. Toddlers are hard, the wife isn't as fun as she used to be, she's too tired etc. The man doesn't help enough so then people decide that's enough. Whereas I think I have a husband who is loyal, who I love and although having 4 young kids and jobs is hard we will come out the other side. People do not try anymore ! Then within months the new mans moved in, the new girlsfriends introduced and so on.

I appreciate there's circumstances where it can't be avoided such as violence or affairs among others. But it's just sad and frustrating how people don't work real hard to actually make their marriage work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure