Tried to withdraw cash from nationwide. No cash. Account debited. Serious trouble

Options
I tried to withdraw £90 from a cash machine yesterday. The cash didn't come out but my account was debited.

Called Nationwide and they said yes, they were having problems with cash machines today, a few customers had had the same issue so they were aware this was happening. They would record it and have to carry out an audit of the machine, following which the money would be put back in my account. This would take around 19 days.

In the meantime, I have £26 to get to work for the next two weeks and to feed my family which is not enough. I need that money now.

I can't afford to get to work for the next two weeks and have no more annual leave so will be forced to take unpaid days.

I have practically no food in the cupboards and I have a family to feed.

I have no money coming into the house until the 30th.

I have explained this to Nationwide, they just keep saying it will take 19 days.

Surely they can check this quicker. Why am I out of pocket and now struggling for two weeks because of their faulty machines? Why do they get to keep my money while they confirm this. They were aware of the problem already. Surely they should put the money back in my account now, and then take as long as they damned please to review it. If it turns out I'm making the whole thing up for the sake of £90, turn it into an overdraft and take it out of my salary on the 30th.

How can a bank turn around and wash their hands of me when I have told them that I don't now have enough money to survive the next two weeks. Their suggested solution to me was to borrow some money from a family member. How dare they suggest that I inconvenience someone to help me to rectify their mistake? Even if I had a family member - how dare they suggest I get myself into debt?

To a lot of people, £90 might not be a critical amount of money. But it is to me. I simply cannot wait 19 days for this money. I need it now for essentials.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 June 2017 at 10:01PM
    Options
    Have you googled if Nationwide have an e,ergency cash option.

Could you into your local branch and say what happened, maybe speak to a branch manager ?
  • Neocon
    Neocon Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I am going to have to go into a branch tomorrow and refuse to leave until they sort something out. I don't have enough money to get through. I budget down to the penny (I have to!) and cannot lose £90 for 19 days!
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,433 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 18 June 2017 at 10:58PM
    Options
    Not exactly the same issue, but involving Nationwide and one of their cash machines: I was trying to pay in via one of their internal cash machines. Mid transaction, the machine malfunctioned and rebooted itself and the credit wasn't applied to my account. They completed the audit and returned the money the next morning.

I had to fill out a form myself detailing what happened, so I'd check to see whether they still have such a form - them 'making a note of it' doesn't seem foulproof or something that would have your case dealt with as swiftly as possible (surely they'd have to keep a record of the number of forms submitted, rather than notes made.)

As it's a known issue happening to more people, it's bound to take a bit longer, but 19 days is ridiculous.

I would be making it clear that you are prepared to go all the way to the Financial Ombudsman if the money is not returned sooner. This will cost them £550 in referral fees so they may as well just provide you with an interest free overdraft.
  • Chalkius
    Chalkius Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    19 days is mad.Is that working days or Calendar?

You could potentially log a complaint as Kim_13 says with them, as it's it's an error on their end, then they are the ones who are responsible and they need to make it right. If it was the ATM owners fault that'd be different.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Ask in the branch for an overdraft ( increase ) for the missing amount, which will be fully repaid in 30 days ; with the agreement that if they fork out your missing money before then, it is ended then, and interest-free.
    They might well say no, but get them to put it in writing.

What if you had tried to make a withdrawal, and got the money, but your account wasn't debited ? I bet they'd be wanting it back faster than 19 days.
  • Neocon
    Neocon Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    It's 19 calendar days.

I'll definitely be filing a complaint as the way they have just washed their hands of their mistake and how it has left me in serious trouble with potentially £26 for two weeks I think is disgusting. But that doesn't help me right now :-(
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 June 2017 at 7:56AM
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that they actually said 19 days, but even if they did in 99.99% of cases it won't take anywhere near as long as that, a week is plenty of time to resolve something like this. In the meantime, kick up a (polite but firm) fuss and keep kicking until they either put the money back into your account or give you the cash.

Edit: the post here from jones probably explains the 19 days http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72716888&postcount=9
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just call them and ask for a temporary overdraft.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Neocon wrote: »
    I am going to have to go into a branch tomorrow and refuse to leave until they sort something out. I don't have enough money to get through. I budget down to the penny (I have to!) and cannot lose £90 for 19 days!

Can I suggest you don't get angry and arsey with them. Remain calm. Don't threaten them with a tantrum.

Suggest to them that under the terms of BCOBS 5.1.11 they should reimburse your account with the full amount involved until they can prove that you've not had the cash.

https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/BCOBS/5/1.html
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    @peacefulwaters good advice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts