Breaking Through, Travelling On

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    :o:o:o I faffed about on the computer as well in the evening :o

There are two things driving me, really - that I lost so much time over the last few years being ill, and also that the noise from the neighbours is worse than ever. It doesn't disturb me as much as it used to, but I really, really don't like it, and I'd quite like to make my fortune, a la !!!! Whittington :D (i.e. much more than my target currently in my sig :rotfl:) and move to a detached house, for which I need another £100k minimum :D

To that end:
    - just done a foraging blog post
    - am trying to pay my French taxes online (always a trial navigating that in French!) sticking with that.
    - changed a lightbulb, but it still flickers - the downstairs electrics weren't updated when I moved in here, I think there may be more expense to come :( but totally necessary if so.

But you're right, MCI, pacing is all. Next week, I'm going to a Sound Healing Group, run by my widower friend, he's trained up on that all over the world, and he's starting it up again next week. I love chanting, and singing bowls, as well as circle dancing, so we'll see. I'm very hopeful.

And I will take care, I promise!

ETA - the Whittington thing! His first name abbreviated. Begins with D. Censored automatically :):):)
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Options
    :j:j:j figured out the French tax payment once again - very simple :j made a note of it now, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel next year :j
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,271 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Chanting is good. :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 11 October 2016 at 2:33PM
    Options
    What an uplifting thread this is, KC. Your joie-de-vivre is truly contagious:j:j:j

As a detached house dweller I'd like to offer a word of caution;). To a certain extent your home will be kept warm by any others that adjoin you. Every wall in a detached house has to fend for itself so to speak heating wise and you are more exposed to outside temperatures. If it's an old house like ours without cavity walls it can result in higher heating bills and still never seem cosy:(. At least we haven't the bother of noisy neighbours though. You win some you lose some I suppose.
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A whole hour in the garden KC. I'm impressed!
    I actually did a little bit in mine today but not sure how long. Came in (dead on one as it happens, just in time for WatO) when I felt I'd had enough. Must try and make it a regular occurrence.
    Glad your mojo is firing on all cylinders.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Ooh, I do love an ambitious plan :D And I do hate a pesky neighbour :eek: Do you need an extra 100k KC? Would a bit less do you for a bungalow type thing? I have no idea about house prices in your neck of the woods I confess :o We looked at a bungalow when we first started looking at houses, I loved it :D Loved the way you could walk all the way round it in the garden, and reach up onto the roof :D I could have been quite happy living there if it was in an entirely different location, and I would have been living on my own as Mr Cheery really didn't like it at all :rotfl: I do quite understand your desire for a detached house though - CBC I hear your warning but I'd rather have to put an extra jumper or three on! :eek: You do indeed win some and lose some.

Glad you got out into the garden :j
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Kc thanks for all of your optimism which is inspirting. Hope you reach the right decvision for you regarding the neighboring people. Have you had the sound levels checked? Could they be less noisy? Xx
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • Karmacat
    Options
    :wave::wave::wave:

Thanks all! CBC, I know what you mean about the greater heat loss from a detached house, but if I really managed to do it, it'd be a modern one. Insulation, and all that, and really, I'd rather have a slightly higher heating bill than my neighbours. It's a dream, really, but *somebody* has to sell lots of kindle books, and it might as well be me :rotfl:

Modern houses can look a bit boxy and soul-less, but this town is quite hilly, and the well-established neighbourhoods full of trees both add a lot of character. They're my preference, in any case.

I wouldn't do a bungalow, Cheery, and weirdly they're actually *more* expensive round here - whether its because of the ageing population, or the way you can add value by adding another storey, I don't know, but thats what happens :eek: :o

In the garden, I'm still fighting more freshly-rooted brambles, as well as rescuing some lovely garlic bulbs I never harvested :o and because the soil is so heavy, they've gone some very funny shapes, as well as some not forming cloves, poor little things. My plan for a small raised bed looks better and better.

As well as the garden, I walked to our library (30 mins each way!) and though I had a long rest :D I'm very nearly back to where I should be, health wise :j

I met the mother in the noisy-neighbour house too. Thing is, they're not *really* that noisy: somebody plays a radio very late and very early, yes, but its nearly always very quiet (they have the windows open, and you can't hear it on the street, it doesn't blast out). I've come to the conclusion that the soundproofing between the houses is extremely poor - I can hear a normal cough next door, if I'm sitting reading, for instance. They never hear me, because even when I'm being quiet, they still have the three dogs :p

I've got to get writing, first! I'll be doing some for the next few days, not just researching, then a trip out on Friday (when the rail strike ends).
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,271 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I love my wee bungalow:cool:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Ooh, Beanie, tell me! I have two strikes against bungalows ... one is that since there are more spiders downstairs, a bungalow will have more spiders :o:o:o sorry, my ex-phobia is showing :cool: and the other is that in a flood, there's no upstairs to retreat to - my mum is on the edge of a flood area (50 yards away!) and if she was in a bungalow, I'd be really, really worried.

Don't mean to worry **you** :o oh dear. But I'd love to know what you like about it, seriously.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport