PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

gross toilet ! How to get rid of limescale

Comments

• jue
    jue Posts: 263
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I recently had a limescale problem, bought some lemon toilet cleaner from Lidl and the limescale came off following an overnight soak. It's really great stuff, thick and smells nice too. :)
    Jue :)
  • Mado
    Mado Posts: 21,776
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I suppose if you are going to use the vinegar trick you may want to fill the toilet with boiling water before hand. Heat accelerates the dissolution reaction.
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you can find long wooden skewers these will be kinder to your porcelain to scratch off the limescale. When the loo is all clear you can keep it that way by using the AmbiPur type cleaners that hang over the edge of the bowl - when it's empty you can fill it with neat bleach, this works far better than the AmbiPur and you can re-fill dozens of times for just pennies. This drip, drip, drip of bleach keeps the bowl clean

A warning on these ones you hang over the side of the toilet. They can get knocked into the pan and flushed away. There is then a real risk of your pipe getting blocked.

This happened to us and we were lucky it was close enough for us to get to. A bit further and we would have been in real trouble.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Mado wrote:
    I suppose if you are going to use the vinegar trick you may want to fill the toilet with boiling water before hand. Heat accelerates the dissolution reaction.

NO! ...........it cracks the toilet bowl!!!!
    cold vinegar left as long as possible will help.
  • elvis_bloggs
    elvis_bloggs Posts: 8,276
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Would someone who suffers with acidity be of any use if they had a pee in it. 1a_y_wink.gif

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you're not afraid to put your hands down the loo then you can rub the limescale away with a pumice stone. Mine was completely manky when I moved in and I did this to mine, it came up like new :)
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Vinegar dissolves calcium, which is what limescale is made of, so if you can get vinegar on the yukky part for long enough it will do the job.
    (for a science experiment, try leaving an eggshell in vinegar, and see what happens. Eggshells are also made of calcium)
  • Austin_Allegro
    Austin_Allegro Posts: 1,462
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Easiest way is just pour a litre of bleach into the bowl and leave for 24 hours or overnight. It should come up completely clean. The difficult part is keeping this up by adding a squirt of bleach every day or so.
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • katiepops_2
    katiepops_2 Posts: 359 Forumite
    You can get Harpic bleach tablets in Wilkos for about £1 a box - they work really well too (they look like diswasher tablets - two different colours).

Kate
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    We have the same scale problem in our loo but I always find the bleach just seems to make the limescale white but doesnt remove it. Our loo sometimes looks dreadful as I dont like using bleach and when I put vinegar down to sit all night someone nearly always uses it afterwards and flushes without thinking.I even stand the gallon container on the lid of the loo as a reminder (I think it is DD who can be very absent minded)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure