Saving to move out - my savings diary

Comments

• mandatory
    mandatory Posts: 243 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hi Mandatory, Hope you had a good Christmas, I've reached my end of year for savings and am about £300 short of my ideal, but trying to focus on how well I've done than see it as a failure. This time of year is hard for my saving head as I love a bargain, I treated myself to a few bits in M&S sale, and have justified these as "needed".
    I think my mantra for 2013 will be spend a little - save a lot :)

Thanks wannaberichbtch! I had a good Christmas, hope yours was good too. :) I had a bit of a splurge in the New Look sale but my biggest expense was my hair at £60! I won't be doing that again for a while but it was very nice to have it done.

My savings will take a bit of a hit as I've been naughty on my CC and instead of putting money into my CC fund I've been sticking it into my main savings, into accounts I don't intend on touching. So... whoops! :( I will clear the balance by February when the 0% deal ends, and taking out a second CC with Nationwide (although the account has now been closed) has made a dent on my credit rating and Experian lists me as a poor rating! So I'm unsure whether or not I should try for another 0% card. I'll be happy paying off my balance in full every month once it's clear, I quite like my Natwest card. It will also make it harder for me to spend on it. My sisters owe me quite a bit so once they pay me back it will go back into savings.
  • It has been a very exciting week! :) Heard some news about my promotion (not until April, boo!), passed my exams from November (hooray!) and I've been shortlisted for an award by an accountancy magazine. Oh, and I won a free bag of Maltesers from the packet I bought from the vending machine to celebrate my exam passes, happy days!

As for savings January and February are proving to be expensive, lots of travelling so I'm trying to book tickets as early in advance as I can. I'm trying to not be as strict so I can have some fun before my hard work begins all over again, more exams to study for...
  • mandatory
    I think that I may need to up my savings goal as my youngest sister may be coming to Birmingham for university, and I have said that if she wanted she could live with me in her second and final year if she chooses not to go back on campus or live with friends. This means a two bedroom place and the area I want to move to is quite popular and known to be quite nice.

Another factor in this is my promotion in April, but I do not know how much my new salary will be as although my 'replacement' has his new contract he has yet to accept it. I am guessing that I will be earning at least an extra £400 a month though, that will help my savings massively! I should receive my new contract anytime in the next two months... two months until my new job! So excited! :)

I am also saving for an Amazon Kindle Fire HD to coincide with my new role and hopefully hitting my weight loss target of losing another stone. I have £50 of Amazon vouchers saved up from various sources (mostly Swagbucks and Valued Opinions) so these will go towards it. I just need to be patient with everything!

February starts tomorrow, my most social month yet. Hopefully not too expensive!
  • mandatory
    Well, February came and went!

I managed to save £440 - less what I was expecting but good considering I had a lot to pay out for. March will be quite similar but upcoming months will make up for the shortfall. Little sister has an interview for Birmingham this week, she will decide in the next month but it is likely she will come here. Someone to share the bills with when I move out! :D

Hoping to have a nice cheap week this week - do need to pay off last week's CC spending (trip to Boots, eek!) and all I plan on doing is studying, no going out and Mother's Day has already been dealt with. :o
  • mandatory
    Finally bought myself a Kindle! Hopefully it will prove it's worth next week when I am stuck on several trains. :) Moved £350 into savings, my target was £550 but I won't be meeting target until perhaps May as I have to pay for my holiday activities (Centre Parcs) and my ticket to Download. Still, I'm feeling quite optimistic since my pay rise will kick in next payday! Hopefully I can stick to my strict budget this month and not have to take anything back out of savings.
  • mandatory
    Payday! Which only means one thing... extra money! :) Which means that I should be able to save £700 minimum this month. My monthly target is now £700 but I am yet to pay for several things such as a festival ticket and holiday activities, however I've put enough into my easy access savings account so I won't need to withdraw from my ISA if my friend asks me for the money at any time. (We're going with two students who are not likely to have the money any time soon, but I like knowing exactly when money has to go out!) My deposit is building up quite nicely, hopefully in 18 months I will have moved out... scary thought! :rotfl:
  • nyc_451
    nyc_451 Posts: 502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Well done!! It's encouraging to see your progress. :j
  • mandatory
    blue_mango wrote: »
    Well done!! It's encouraging to see your progress. :j

Thank you! :D I will be updating my spreadsheet and signature later, but I think I will be doing cartwheels when I see it reach £10k!
  • mandatory
    Quite an exciting month! I got a cost of living increase and some backdated pay, so that's covered two music festival tickets and more to save. :beer: I anticipate saving around £900 this month but will work it out exactly when I get back home - spending the weekend with friends in London. I've also had to stop spending time browsing Rightmove since I do it too often, and I know I can't afford anything yet!
  • hannerrbabes
    hannerrbabes Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hey, I've been reading your posts - they are pretty inspiring! Any more updates yet?
    Hanna x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport