Low cost Stocks & Shares (Investment) ISAs: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• Kavor
    Kavor Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    snowgo wrote: »
    Also, the share prices outside Market hours are incorrect. My capd shares were showing at 82p which nearly gave me a panic attack until i checked on advfn to discover the market close was really 102p.
    Does this happen frequently or is this the only time that you've noticed it? The reason I'm asking is that a lot of sites have been having problems with their share price data feed. In the last couple of weeks i've seen incorrect share prices on HL, Digital Look and even the London Stock Exchange which showed two shares I was tracking at 0p.
  • psychic_teabag
    psychic_teabag Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    For funds, there's a comparison of brokers at
    http://www.candidmoney.com/actionplans/actionplan3.aspx

They also mention Alliance Trust Savings as an option if you also want to hold shares.
  • Wobblydeb
    Wobblydeb Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kavor wrote: »
    Does this happen frequently or is this the only time that you've noticed it? The reason I'm asking is that a lot of sites have been having problems with their share price data feed. In the last couple of weeks i've seen incorrect share prices on HL, Digital Look and even the London Stock Exchange which showed two shares I was tracking at 0p.
    It happens on the iii portfolio view too. I ignore prices when the market is not open.
    I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.
  • Special_Saver2
    Special_Saver2 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 April 2011 at 5:37PM
    Options
    First of all, it sounds like some people will find this thread useful so I will keep it up to date. I have written an introduction and inserted that into post 1. I think checking the details every 3 months will be sufficient so I have made a note in my diary to do that. I will certainly want to update it in March of each year as I may well alternate each year's S&S ISA allowance, e.g. some years I may invest in unit trusts/OEICs in one ISA and other years in shares/investment trusts/ETFs in a different ISA.
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Many thanks. I'm wondering about transferring an S&S Isa to get lower dealing costs, so I'd be delighted to know whether any of them have a transferring-in fee or even a transferring-in incentive payment.
    These companies usually do not charge anything for transferring in (but check with the company that you want to transfer out from to see if they charge anything for transferring out). The incentive for transferring in with the brokers listed in post 2 is that you will benefit from a partial or full rebate on your future trail commission.
    aspiration wrote: »
    Great idea! Could something similar be done for SIPPs in this forum or in the pensions one?

If there is lots of demand for it, I could do that but I think Martin has mentioned the main SIPP options on his page in the main site so what I have done is added a link to that page plus some other useful SIPP pages in my new introduction (post 1).
    Maxibon wrote: »
    Do you think you could add star ratings for "trustworthiness" or something like that? If available, of course! It'd be really good to get that kind of input, too. But as I said, this is great and it really helps!

I might add a new line called "MSE Forum User opinions / experiences" to the brokers in post 3 with links to posts on this page or other pages. MSE forum users are very welcome to post on this thread what they think of the different discount providers.
    For funds, there's a comparison of brokers at
    http://www.candidmoney.com/actionplans/actionplan3.aspx

They also mention Alliance Trust Savings as an option if you also want to hold shares.

Thanks a lot for that link. I have never seen that website before but I like it! I have now added a link to that page in post 1. I thought about adding Alliance Trust or Selftrade in post 3. They both charge annual fees (you may get some "free trades" for your annual fee but they are worth less than the annual fee cost) and their trading costs are similar to the providers in post 3 so I have left them off for the moment. I am willing to re-consider that if people think that Alliance Trust or Selftrade are particularly good and worth paying the fee.

dougz, thanks a lot for pointing out HSBC. I have now added that to post 3.

SS2
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I might add a new line called "MSE Forum User opinions / experiences" to the brokers in post 3 with links to posts on this page or other pages. MSE forum users are very welcome to post on this thread what they think of the different discount providers.

I have to say, this would be very useful as I'm currently considering moving my existing ISA and pensions to the Skandia platform using ClubFinance, but I want to make sure that they're actually a reliable company to deal with (ClubFinance rather than Skandia - as they will apparently still have to process paper applications for lump sum top-ups).

Anyone used them yet?
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • Pocketsaver
    Options
    Went on my SVS account today and noticed I now have the option to open an S&S ISA with them. Using Special_Saver2's format I'll list its description.

Details here https://www.svssecurities.com/lp/pdf/SVS-Securities-TermsOfBusiness.pdf

I'd type it out myself, but at the moment far too busy.
  • JamesU
    JamesU Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 April 2011 at 12:02PM
    Options
    i-Dealing is a good compromise between range of investments and cost, particularly given the EU and US trading options. Some specifics:

-Good customer service, no problem last 10yrs.
    -Can send stock ISIN by e-mail and request list additions if they are eligible and/or deal by phone if required with same £9.90 dealing costs.
    -Same investments in ISA and standard accounts (AIM here of course).
    -No formalised W8-BEN for US (but may comply on request, note: TD Waterhouse do provide this).
    -Good range of etfs from UK (LSE), EU (Deutsche-Boerse) and US (NYSE). Minor point, limited online listing of some US etf providers (e.g. just a few Vanguard etfs). Some Canadian TSX/TSX venture but not comprehensive.

JamesU

• Special_Saver2
    Special_Saver2 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 April 2011 at 1:29AM
    Options
    I have now added Alliance Trust (posts 2 and 3), Sippdeal (posts 2 and 3), SVS Securities (post 3) and iDealing.com (post 3).

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Alliance Trust offers very good trail commission rebates (sometimes better than Cavendish Online with Cofunds or Fidelity platforms). It is a shame that Alliance Trust charges annual and dealing fees though.

SS2
  • premierfella
    Options
    Does SVS only provide one S&S ISA product?
    I ask because the details on this page:
    https://www.svssecurities.com/Default.aspx?tabid=339
    appear to indicate that the ISA is restricted to holding only FTSE 350 stocks.
  • Pocketsaver
    Pocketsaver Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does SVS only provide one S&S ISA product?
    I ask because the details on this page:
    https://www.svssecurities.com/Default.aspx?tabid=339
    appear to indicate that the ISA is restricted to holding only FTSE 350 stocks.

Just checked my SVS accounts' page and yes, there is only this one ISA. Highly dissapointing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure