Spam texts from a vodafone number/account - vodafone rep??!

Does anyone know what I can do about this? I keep getting spam texts about a no win no fee accident service from a vodafone number (not Vodafone itself) - +447786892320. If I call the number it goes to Vodafone voicemail.

I emailed Vodafone about it, including the phone number and text of the message, but just got a stupid reply (from someone who obviously scan read the email) saying that if I wanted to unsubscribe from Vodafone texts I simply send one back saying STOP. AARRRGGGG! I replied asking them to re-read my original message but have since had nothing.

I don't know how the texter got my number (it may be random pot luck) but how do I stop these texts? Surely it's against the account t&c's? I'm not a Vodafone customer (which I made clear in my email) but obvsiously the texter is so I would have thought they would have been semi interested.

Comments

• Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    My other half got one of these too and, guess what - she is on Vodafone too. I have never had one on my Orange or T-Mobile phones. It specifically said she could be entitled to £3750 for "her recent accident" which, needless to say, she has never suffered.

Now 2 such texts are hardly sufficient to suggest that only Vodafone customers are affected. Anyone else had these texts and if so, what network?

Could be simply a mass mailing to random numbers, of course, but these leeches are an absolute pain.
  • Odd isn't it - my text was the same though offering £6000 for my recent accident!

I'm not a Vodafone customer though - on O2.
  • OneADay
    OneADay Posts: 9,031 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The number may look like a Vodafone one but not necessarily on their network as it could have been ported to another provider.
    Sounds as if some nurky lawyer type is sending unsolicitated texts.

Best option complain to Ofcom

Ofcom
    Riverside House
    2a Southwark Bridge Road
    London
    SE1 9HA
    Contact number: 0300 123 3333
  • robt_2
    robt_2 Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You don't say whether you have replied sending 'STOP' or not?
  • Jakg
    Jakg Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I got one of these on O2 PAYG a while back, but my friend on Vodafone also got one...
    Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
  • OneADay wrote: »
    The number may look like a Vodafone one but not necessarily on their network as it could have been ported to another provider.
    Sounds as if some nurky lawyer type is sending unsolicitated texts.

Best option complain to Ofcom

Ofcom
    Riverside House
    2a Southwark Bridge Road
    London
    SE1 9HA
    Contact number: 0300 123 3333

I did actually put in my original post that I rang the number and it went through to Vodafone voicemail - as in "this is the vodafone voicemail service for ...." - so therefore the phone is on the Vodafone network.

And no, I didn't reply "STOP" as it was coming from a "normal" number (the one given in my post) not a short code text number. Replying may have only served to confirm that my phone number is in use. I'm not sure how reporting the text to Ofcom would help - I don't know who the company/person is and the spam texts are coming from either a personal or business number, which surely is against Vodafone terms & conditions. That's why I thought the vodafone rep may be able to help/
  • OneADay
    OneADay Posts: 9,031 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ofcom are there to help mobile consumers fight unsolicitated spam - if you dont report the number, the practice continues. If you report it they have the powers (hopefully) to investigate the issue and raise it with the network (which as you say is vodafone).

You could contact vodafone themselves on the phone (rather than email) of course and see what they say.
  • Thanks - I will give Ofcom a go then.

Does anyone have a suitable number to contact Vodafone on that doesn't cost a fortune? Their site doesn't list a general enquiries and I'm not one of their customers.
  • robt_2
    robt_2 Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    And no, I didn't reply "STOP" as it was coming from a "normal" number (the one given in my post) not a short code text number. Replying may have only served to confirm that my phone number is in use.

It doesn't matter - I have replied 'stop' to normal numbers before and it has stopped.
  • wantmemoney
    wantmemoney Posts: 836 Forumite
    edited 10 August 2009 at 3:27PM
    http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Calls.aspx/077

If you read the whocallsme reports the name that keeps cropping up is a company called Leadx
    http://www.leadx.com/

They buy and sell marketing 'leads' of personal information of people who are looking for loans or insurance. They obtain many of them from the major price comparison sites on the net!!

They are also involved with accident claims. I don't know if these messages are connected to them.
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=site%3Awhocallsme.com+whocallsme%22Our+records+indicate+u+maybe+entitled+to%22&btnG=Search&meta=

here's interesting
    http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/07797802727
    07797802727 phone number comments:
    8 Dec 2008

caller asks "hi 'my name'i can help you pay off your debtsand get you back on your feet!:-) call 0845 017 3242 now!/2REMOVE RPLY 5Y
    27 Mar 2009

got the same text so i called the number stated which is 01228 508170/2 and gave the guy a hard time. He advised me that they are a Debt management company and they get all their numbers from a company called Leedx and gave me their number 08448714300. I called this compnay and explained that i did not ask for this nor did i make any enquiry becuase my name was not philip! (the name on the text) she advised me people would make enquiries and put whatever name and number down and they forward it on to the people who send the texts (hope im making sense here) for them to call back. She took my number off their database so i should not be recieving these texts again!

Hope i made sense then!!
    damn pests!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family