PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?

Comments

• SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    PixarFan wrote: »
    Hmmmm, a few seconds after posting this I had a phone call from the estate agent, this time the director! I was told he was very disappointed in the way it has been handled and agrees it was a great offer and has been very 'firm" with them over the phone. He says he is going to discuss it with them again and he will be in touch .........

How comes house buying is never easy? Haha!!!

You need to really decide how much you really want this house.

I personally wouldn't want to deal with a seller who is so greedy, however, if you have been looking for a long time I can totally understand that you will want to stick with it.

My stepson has has just exchanged on a property and there has been nothing else on the market which he would have made an offer on so if the same thing has happened to him then he probably would have continued with the purchase.

If you don't think that it will be easy to find another property then stick with this one, but be prepared for more nasty surprises from the seller as they do not seem honorable at all.
  • SuzieSue
    kilby_007 wrote: »
    It's just part of the game pixar. Every estate agent on every property I've offered on has done this. They push you to see what your breaking point is and then when you back out they start back peddling. The director phoning back is just a ruse, don't fall for it. Start looking elsewhere and if they phone you back grovelling then you have the upper hand.

You don't know it is the EA, it could be the sellers playing games.

Whenever an EA says anything use as that someone has just made a counter offer it is very easy to assume that they have made the offer up, but if you read threads on here then you can see that it is often true.
  • copperjar
    copperjar Posts: 884 Forumite
    Pixar - when you offered previously and the EA said they would accept the amount you have since offered, I wonder if that was the EA thinking they would accept that rather than the vendors explicitly saying so. When you viewed again, they obviously knew you were keen and are probably pushing their luck a bit/playing the game - I think the EA will be desperate for this to go through now and will be pushing them like crazy to accept.
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • Hi all, would love to join this thread! me and my bf have been searching for a house for nearly four months and not getting anywhere! fell in love with one in the summer, but were in a bidding war with many other buyers and eventually outbid :( since then, no houses we have loved have come up. Feel like we are getting nowhere! We know what we want and will not compromise on those things (garage, 3 bedrooms, drive, garden and location). Doing up a property is not a concern- the other half wants to do this! Having people telling us we are being too picky and just to take the plunge. Getting so frustrated!!!!!
    #27 - Save 12K in 20189£/£ :T
  • jessy-eve wrote: »
    Hi all, would love to join this thread! me and my bf have been searching for a house for nearly four months and not getting anywhere! fell in love with one in the summer, but were in a bidding war with many other buyers and eventually outbid :( since then, no houses we have loved have come up. Feel like we are getting nowhere! We know what we want and will not compromise on those things (garage, 3 bedrooms, drive, garden and location). Doing up a property is not a concern- the other half wants to do this! Having people telling us we are being too picky and just to take the plunge. Getting so frustrated!!!!!

Shame about the house you found in summer. Its a huge commitment to just 'take the plunge' on a house you aren't in love with. Have you managed to get any EAs calling you when something comes up on the market (pre-rightmove)? If not maybe nag them more, we had several calls about houses before they came up on rightmove and many had offers before they got online. If there aren't many around with your requirements maybe they just go really fast? I hope something comes up soon though!
  • Shame about the house you found in summer. Its a huge commitment to just 'take the plunge' on a house you aren't in love with. Have you managed to get any EAs calling you when something comes up on the market (pre-rightmove)? If not maybe nag them more, we had several calls about houses before they came up on rightmove and many had offers before they got online. If there aren't many around with your requirements maybe they just go really fast? I hope something comes up soon though!

Ooooh, how do you get the estate agents to do that? One offered but there was a giant monthly fee so we declined! At the moment we are just getting email alerts when they are listed. There have been a few that are listed and we ring for viewings and they have already sold!!
    #27 - Save 12K in 20189£/£ :T
  • jessy-eve wrote: »
    Ooooh, how do you get the estate agents to do that? One offered but there was a giant monthly fee so we declined! At the moment we are just getting email alerts when they are listed. There have been a few that are listed and we ring for viewings and they have already sold!!

A lot of nagging really but some EAs are much better than others at it. One made us have a meeting with their mortgage advisor in order to get on a 'premier buyers' list. To be honest, it was an hour well spent because they were pretty efficient letting us know about new properties. I think if you do a lot of viewings with particular EAs and meet them in person then they tend to remember you better and think about you when new properties come up. We also tended to say yes to almost all viewings they rang up with (just in case we would be pleasantly surprised). Maybe that helped? I suppose you might not call people that say 'no' a few times to you.
  • PixarFan
    PixarFan Posts: 38 Forumite
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I was a bit suspect and guess what ... they have only gone and accepted our offer!!!!!!! What a surprise! I am sure they were trying to get as much out of me as possible and when they knew I was no longer going to be pushed, they had to back track a little! I now am franticly trying to sort out solicitors today so I can let the estate agent know and it can be taken off the market! The owners still have not found anywhere to buy yet but I am hoping it is not too long.

I am going through with my mortgage application tomorrow (I will not paying an arrangement fee etc.), I know some people advise against it, but I am a teacher and on half term at the moment so I really do need to make use of this rare free time I have! :D. I can't believe I am at this stage now - but I am aware a very long way to go!
  • Also, if you have filters for parking and garden on rightmove then be aware that sometimes EAs forget to tick these boxes. I didn't see the house we have just had an offer accepted on (thankfully my Mum did!) because I had applied these filters but the EA hadn't ticked the garden and/or parking boxes even though it has both. Hurray for house hunting obsessed mothers!
  • SuzieSue
    PixarFan wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I was a bit suspect and guess what ... they have only gone and accepted our offer!!!!!!! What a surprise! I am sure they were trying to get as much out of me as possible and when they knew I was no longer going to be pushed, they had to back track a little! I now am franticly trying to sort out solicitors today so I can let the estate agent know and it can be taken off the market! The owners still have not found anywhere to buy yet but I am hoping it is not too long.

I am going through with my mortgage application tomorrow (I will not paying an arrangement fee etc.), I know some people advise against it, but I am a teacher and on half term at the moment so I really do need to make use of this rare free time I have! :D. I can't believe I am at this stage now - but I am aware a very long way to go!

Great news. Congratulations and fingers crossed for a smooth purchase.

Where abouts are you? I can recommend an excellent solicitor if you are in Herts/Beds as my stepson just exchanged on a property.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure