IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Gladstone Solicitors - gym parking

I received a parking fine in the post in November from my gym.

The parking ticket was actually issued whilst I was in the gym signing up and having an induction. I didn't notice any signs in the car parking and it wasn't pointed out to me on arrival. I was sat with a member of staff to complete my signing up forms for half an hour and whilst they didn't mention parking they did happen to mention they were still drunk from the night before and to not get too close!

I got a parking ticket within a few days of signing up and then realised that there is a small machine in the gym where you need to add your registration plate and it then gives you unlimited use for 30 days.

Stupidly I ignored the first and second letter from the parking company as I believed that calling or writing to them would admit my liability and that it wouldn't go any further! I did bring it up with the receptionist on duty when I left one day and they told me to ignore it as they never chase it up anyway. (they wouldn't have known my name as I asked when leaving and they don't have any photos on your membership or thumb scanners when leaving).

I've now had a 'letter before claim' letter from Gladstones solicitors on behalf of Sip Parking that says they have been instructed to commence legal action against me. They refer me to the Practice Direction for pre action conduct under civil procedure rules, paragraph 13-16?? It states I have 14 days to pay the full amount or to acknowledge receipt of this letter and provide a full written response. The response must include the name of the driver and their address or they will start proceedings against me.

Have I made an expensive mistake by not responding? Should I contact the gym head office first to see if they can cancel it or do I respond to Gladstone? What will they do next??

I did try reading the sticky but got a little overwhelmed with all of the abbreviations and think it confused me more than I was before!! Any help is vastly appreciated.

Thanks
Lea :confused:

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    there is a glossary for the abbreviations in that sticky thread

you should have sent in the IPC appeal to SIP (SIP sent you the pcn , not the gym)

now you should

1) complain to the gym and try to get the charges cancelled, in writing , keeping copies (no telephone calls)

2) respond to the LBC denying the alleged debt

and its not a parking fine that you received, its an invoice called a pcn , a PARKING CHARGE NOTICE
  • lea2012
    lea2012 Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you. I will contact the gym again today in writing and also send a reply to the LBC, I presume I don't admit I was driving?

I've read the sticky again but still can't find a glossary is LBC Gladstones?

Thanks.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    lea2012 wrote: »
    Thank you. I will contact the gym again today in writing and also send a reply to the LBC, I presume I don't admit I was driving?

I've read the sticky again but still can't find a glossary is LBC Gladstones?

Thanks.

No need to when you splash it all over a public forum where PPC eyes lurk. Amend that URGENTLY and I'll change this post.

LBC = Letter Before Claim (also known as Letter Before County Court Claim, Letter of Claim, Letter Before Action). Any such letter is usually headed up with one of these terms.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • lea2012
    lea2012 Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Just to update. I spoke to my gym manager and they have now cancelled the charge for me so it's all resolved now.

Thanks.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    lea2012 wrote: »
    Just to update. I spoke to my gym manager and they have now cancelled the charge for me so it's all resolved now.

Thanks.

Good! As we always say, get that in writing/email and send an urgent copy to Gladstones to stop them (don't assume it's over until confirmed).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure