Meter reader/nPower say mandatory "Gas Safety Check" needed every 2 years

Comments

• LlwydO
    LlwydO Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2012 at 7:29PM
    NPower contacted me at the start of May saying that they needed to inspect my meter for safety reasons. This was also directly after I had given a gas meter reading much lower than their estimate – I’m convinced that is the only reason they have asked to perform the check. But as a conscientious consumer with nothing to hide, I called them three times through their inept customer services system (which they insist you call them through an 0845 number) and eventually they found me Saturday morning when I wasn't working and I would be in (about 3 weeks from that call). I stayed in all day and nobody came or contacted me to say they wouldn’t be arriving and nothing was said afterwards.

Annoyed, I left it. Until…

A letter addressed a letter to 'The Occupier' arrived days later which reads:

"We've tried several times to make arrangements to inspect your gas meter, but you haven't contacted us to make an appointment or given us access to your meter. You must let us inspect your meter as soon as possible.

What we’ll do if you don’t let us inspect your meter:

We’ll apply for a warrant of entry from a Magistrate Court so that we can enter your home, even if you aren’t there and if necessary by force, and any legal costs may be passed on to you (a minimum of £150). If we’re granted a warrant of entry, we’ll visit your home to gain access to our meter, even if you aren’t there and if necessary by force.”

As this letter was addressed to the occupier, and I live in a shared occupancy student house, this letter was added to a pile of other letters that are left without anyone opening them by my flatmate. I have been away until yesterday at a conference and only received the letter after work. I called the energy supplier at 7.30 pm yesterday, was on hold for 30 minutes until they finally said “we are now closed”.

Furious, I called again today to be told that they have sent a letter yesterday that may inform me that they have applied for the warrant, after which they cannot stop the process.

If they have applied for the warrant, am I liable for the costs? It seems that they have lied on the letter sent 2 weeks ago where they state that “We've tried several times to make arrangements to inspect your gas meter, but you haven't contacted us to make an appointment or given us access to your meter.”

I have gone out of my way to make an appointment, which they did not keep, nor did they inform me of any cancellation. I am sadly not au fait with the laws that this action falls under but I feel strongly that I am in the right and if the company do apply for a warrant I would like to challenge it in court and make them pay for all costs including the stress and time this has already cost me.

I pay my bills by direct debit and am not in arrears to them in any way. Even though they clearly only want to check I haven’t fiddled the meter, I want my gas supply to be safe and am happy for a meter reader to come and inspect the damned thing.

The tone of the letter is aggressive, threatening and uncalled for. Can I write to Ofgen or anyone else about the conduct of Npower in this matter?

Any help appreciated.
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    You can raise it as a complaint to them. After 8 weeks if not resolved, you can take it to the ombudsman.

The tone of letter is a prompt, so scare tactics really.

If the warrant is issued, it will be applied to your account.

You can turn up for the warrant but its not like a court case, its a load of warrants bundled together with a rep there.

Do you really want it to go that far though?

You need to prove you have been in contact and its their failure to honour the visit. So, someone needs to investigate what happened to that appointment. It could be that it wasn't booked, the reader didn't turn up, etc.

By raising a complaint, they will most likely throw some compensation at you anyway.

The letter should have in the bill payers name...do you have further problems on that front by any chance?
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • LlwydO
    LlwydO Posts: 7 Forumite
    I don't want it to go that far but from what the customer service advisor said today, if they have issued the warrant, they will not be able to go back on that. I will not be paying a single penny of it!

I have a confirmation letter from NPower of the appointment and I have two people who were also in on that day who could provide evidence that nobody called at the house that day.
    The letter should have in the bill payers name...do you have further problems on that front by any chance?

Not sure what you mean by this? The earlier letters were addressed to me, including the one which I referred to above. Then for no reason apparent to me, they addressed this aggressive letter to 'the occupier'.

I will speak to them tomorrow about raising a formal complaint with them and see where that gets me.
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    I'm wondering why the letter isn't addressed to the account name. It should be. Just thought they may have messed your account up in some other way e.g. changing names, closing your account in error, etc.

I don't believe the advisor you spoke to. They have to give you the right to attend the hearing so ho date for me means a threat they are going to but haven't yet. I could be wrong though. Raise this in the complaint for confirmation.

Worth noting that if not applied for, a complaint will stop all action from a collections process until they are sure it corrected (or they would not be liable for an incorrect or illegal warrant).
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    LlwydO wrote: »
    I called them three times through their inept customer services system (which they insist you call them through an 0845 number)

I called the energy supplier at 7.30 pm yesterday, was on hold for 30 minutes until they finally said “we are now closed”.

Furious, I called again today

A lesson to learn is it is better to write to these companies - an email will suffice. Or at least follow up each call by sending an email.

I would now just submit a formal complaint. There was quite a bit in the media about a year ago about a lady who sued her Utility company(and won damages) in similar circumstances.
  • I've just had a phone call claiming to be from our gas/elec supplier telling me they need to do a safety check on our meters. I've never heard of such a thing. Having read this thread I've realised that they think we are fiddling our meter! We put a woodburning stove in just over 2 years ago and hardly use our central heating. I've also taken the fuse out of the tumble drier and told the teenagers that it doesn't work (although I can get it going sometimes). We have told them to reduce our monthly standing order and explained why but it seems they would rather suspect us of dishonestly. Sad isn't it?
  • youre a bit late on this thead but to answer your question anyway, its standard procedure and part of the licence by OFGEM to do a safety check on the meters.They dont suspect you of fiddling your meter at all. Its no big deal, just a 60 seconds check. Lots of people dont use much gas or electric. I am surprised you havent had meter reader knocking on your door and leaving a card which is the usual procedure
  • I've just had a letter to make an appointment for them to come and safety check my gas meter because they've not seen it for 2 years. I rang and they said they only come out weekdays am or pm. I explained everyone is at work in the day, but she said they didn't work weekends. So insisted I had to arrange a holiday from work in order to sit in and wait for a 30 second visit.

This is outrageous, I want them to come round but I can't get time off work. Previously they have come round on a Saturday but now it appears they won't. Is there something I can do about this? I don't want a court bill. :mad:
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    MrsK33 wrote: »
    I've just had a letter to make an appointment for them to come and safety check my gas meter because they've not seen it for 2 years. I rang and they said they only come out weekdays am or pm. I explained everyone is at work in the day, but she said they didn't work weekends. So insisted I had to arrange a holiday from work in order to sit in and wait for a 30 second visit.

This is outrageous, I want them to come round but I can't get time off work. Previously they have come round on a Saturday but now it appears they won't. Is there something I can do about this? I don't want a court bill. :mad:

Either agree a suitable time for them to come round, or expect a large court bill.

Christmas is coming. Lots of people have time off then longer than just Xmas day, Boxing day & New Years day. Maybe you could agree a suitable time then?
  • Wywth wrote: »
    Either agree a suitable time for them to come round, or expect a large court bill.

Christmas is coming. Lots of people have time off then longer than just Xmas day, Boxing day & New Years day. Maybe you could agree a suitable time then?

I tried that, I am off for over a week at christmas. They said they don't work after 21 dec to 2 jan. So helpful.

How can I arrange a time pray tell when I have no holidays left to use from work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure